Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Virgin Media – unable to connect phone line
  • younggeoff

Hi all , recently had virgin media package installed, TV and Broadband are fine but the engineer was unable to connect the Phone. He said there were no points left in the street to connect it to.

What was he on about and how long are we going to have to wait before we have a landline.

Any useful info greatly accepted.

Haze

Just been through something similar – they couldn't get a line working nor port my old phone number over.

Expect several expensive mobile calls to their 0845 number followed by broken promises of someone calling you back.

In the unlikely event of someone calling or responding to email, expect to be given a false promise of when your line will be working. And despite what they say, there isn't anybody "personally looking into it".

Repeat several times over.

In the meantime, you'll be charged for the services they're not supplying even if they've promised you they won't. Cancelling the direct debit is a great way of ensuring they finally get in touch with you.

You'll then get a succession of head-scratchers turning up at your house, but leaving without actually doing anything.

Good luck! 😀

schnullelieber
    Free Member

Virgin media are God's prototype for hell on earth.

clubber
    Free Member

Funny I've always found them pretty good – I think it depends a lot on which original company you are with – I was a Telewest customer originally.

Haze

In fairness (!) the V+ is alright and broadband is excellent.

They eventually credited me with the 2 months it took to get everything finished (I won't go into the botch-job they originally made of the physical installation)

Apart from all that, they're fine!

schnullelieber
    Free Member

Well I too was originally a telewest custometer so mayber I've just been unlucky. Three times I've had all my services cut off when their engineers have been installing feeds to neighbours in my block. All three times it's taken many, many phone calls, a delay of about two weeks, and time off work to get it fixed. The call centre get confused when they they ask "with which service do you have a problem?, Phone, broadband or TV?" and you answer "all three". I've been on circular telephone transfer journeys, lost the will to live whilst on hold, fobbed off with "it's an area fault, wait an hour and try again" (conveniently co-inciding with when the rep goes off shift). I've had poor service reps trying to stick slavishly to their telephone scripts asking me if I've tried turning the modem on and off when I'm trying to tell them that they need to send an engineer cos the cables are sticking out the gound as yesterday's engineer effed it up. I've had cancelled visits without being informed (so wasting time taken off work). And like Haze says the physical installation is of embarassing quality – cable ends sticking out the ground, junction boxes with no covers – we even had the cables laid across the top of our lawn for over a month!

cp

I've always found them great too – both from customer service and the quality of broadband & reliability of phone. only prob was when water got into junction box in cellar… fixed next day for nowt.

dazh

Well as with all ISPs, I guess they're great until something goes wrong. My neighbour's idiot builders cut through my cable and I've now been without broadband for 5 weeks. They've postponed fixing it twice, and now say they can't fix it for another two weeks, and I fully expect them to ring and postpone again. When we rang to check we weren't being charged for the broadband they replied saying it wasn't their fault so don't see why we should receive a discount, although they relented after some mild persuasion. I doubt this will be the end of it though.

cp

to be fair dazh, it's not their fault – the neighbours builders should really be paying for it. lame at getting out to fix it – no excuse for that. you handy with a soldering iron??!

dazh

Not criticising them on that front, the engineer who originally came round to look at it said he should charge us £20 but said he'd waive it as we'd never get the money out of the builders. The postponements are becoming irritating though, and we've been quite patient. I even told them I wasn't bothered about the discount as long as they fixed it quick. I'm just getting the impression that they have no intention of fixing it and are just fobbing us off. Hopefully I'll be wrong though.

ransos
    Free Member

Virgin media drove me to distraction. A month after installing, they still hadn't ported our old telephone numebr (which they had promised to do)leaving us paying for our old landline at the same time. In the end I cancelled and asked for a refund, which arrived 2 months later after several complaints. Then they put a debt collection agency onto us to recoup the money they had refunded us.

I wouldn't touch them with yours.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Virgin Media – unable to connect phone line’ is closed to new replies.