• This topic has 29 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by joat.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Virgin Media broadband
  • takisawa2

Anyone got the 100Mb service ?
    What sort of speed do you normally get ?
    Had mine upgraded to 100Mb the other day, but struggling to get 55Mb let alone 100mb. Drops to less than 20Mb sometimes.
    (PC connected to Superhub by ethernet cable).

glupton1976
    Free Member

Try a different server. One of the Moscow ones usually produces the highest download speed for whatever reason.

Cougar

Check the router to see what it’s connecting at, first of all.

hertz32
    Free Member

I’m on 60mbs and i struggle to get 8mbs Im on wifi in a busy neighborhood 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

As glupton says – try a few servers. You’ll get various results. I’m on 60Mb and can see anything down to 15Mb depending on which server I use

takisawa2

Router lists the following:-

Primary Downstream Service Flow SFID 41684
    Max Traffic Rate 111000000 bps
    Max Traffic Burst 10000 bytes
    Min Traffic Rate 0 bps
    Primary Upstream Service Flow SFID 41683
    Max Traffic Rate 5120000 bps
    Max Traffic Burst 16320 bytes
    Min Traffic Rate 0 bps
    Max Concatenated Burst 16320 bps

So looks like its set at 100Mb.
    Connecting on Wi-Fi normally cutcs the speed above in half.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

1. Take a look at VM’s help and support forum

2. Despair

wallop

Virgin Media did this apparently…

takisawa2

On the phone to them at the moment.
    Oh dear lordy…
    🙄

takisawa2

Oh dear, its serious. 🙂
    My power levels are all wrong. 😳
    They are sending a Technician round… 🙄

somouk
    Free Member

The 100mb at my parents was suffering and topping out at 60 Mbps so dad complained and they sent an engineer out who did some line tests and noticed excess noise. He played with their system a bit and now dad sees about 103 Mbps early in the morning and nearer 90 during peak times.

It’s worth calling them!

edit as you posted above while i was typing!! Thats exactly the same as the parents…

takisawa2

Thanks somouk. Echoes what seems to be said on http://www.cableforum.

curvature
    Free Member

Thanks for that I shall be calling them as I struggle to get over 20Mb when I should get over 60Mb

thorpie
    Free Member

Currently only getting 0.6mbs from Sky broadband (there is an issue apparently!) Do you think I should switch to Virgin Fibre Optic?

druidh
    Free Member

Is that available in your area? If so, then there is no argument.

thorpie
    Free Member

It is available but will cost more, just got to convince the wife!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My power levels were wrong and the superhub was apparently resetting itself a lot, turns out the muppets who brought it round used the wallwart PS from the old modem, which was 10V and 1 amp, or something, and the superhub wanted 12V and 1.5a.

Plus the signal needed attenuation, as did the Tivo input.

So I got my installation fee refunded after complaining 🙂

If you are wireless you wont be getting these high speeds, so check the connection when hard-wired.

Also check for interference with your neighbour – I use a wireless app on my android phone to see what channels are free.

druidh
    Free Member

Yeah – it’s worth bumping it up to Channel 11 or something – well away from the default.

prettygreenparrot

+1 to what turnerguy said.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

The superhub is absolute c€ap – we had endless engineer visits and couldn’t manage more than 10meg of the 60 we pay for using wifi – this went down to less than 1meg in the evenings..

After a few months of faffing I gave up and plugged in an apple router which manages 60 meg consistently. The problem is that Virgin don’t seem to be able to sort the wifi on the superhub.

Cougar

It’s not Virgin’s job to configure your home network.

mattmbk
    Free Member

Our SuperHub wifi signal was very poor so I put it into modem only mode and plugged another router in, instant improvement, 70+ and at least 100 metre range. As opposed to the 3 metre range from the not so super SuperHub.

Cougar

Sorry, I misread that last post. Please disregard my pre-coffee comment, apologies.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I use channel 13, next door is on 11 and there are a few 6s around.

One (english) virgin support guy suggested 13, but then you have to fight any (indian) support guy who wants to follow the rules and get you a ‘virgin supported’ channel, something like 11 which clashes with next door but this matters little to the (indian) support guy.

I have moved to using a DLink power adapter to my main work area, and get speeds of 50Mbish and better pings.

When I last had a problem (the power one) I reported that it was nothing to do with the wireless as one laptop demonstrating the problem, which is the one the virgin support guy was remoted on to, was hardwired to the superhub, and the other laptop was using the DLink powerline connection. Both laptops had their wireless receivers disabled.

That didn’t stop the (indian) support guy from spending 50 minutes switching the wireless channel around on the superhub and then running speedtest repeatedly and declaring that the problem was that I was on channel 13. He didn’t seem to grasp the non-deterministic nature of speedtest.
    Eventually he handed me over to the (english) support guy who then diagnosed the problem quickly and arranged for an engineer.

Lots of good proactive indian engineers around, it is just a shame that virgin don’t seem to employ many of them…

wwaswas

I got a superhub and after a wasted mornign switched it to modem mode and plugged the old wi-fi router back in.

Do use wired for my work pc and the NAS drive. Would recommend wired to anyone who does a lot of up/downloads either locally or on the internet connection.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve only had it 4 months or so but so far the SuperHub appears to be absolutely fine. It’s a re-badged Netgear of some sort and they generally seem to work 🙂

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Second druids comments about the hub being fine. I pay for 30mgb, and regularly get 29.5mgb over wireless. I do keep a spare router so I can run the superhub as a modem should it start playing up 🙂

takisawa2

Thanks all, some good info up there.

For info, I am connected to the Superhub by ethernet. Ironically before they “upgraded” me last week, we were on 20Mb & were getting 19.5Mb pretty much constantly, even over a “Wireless B” adapter.

When I decided to go up to 100Mb I put an ethernet cable in.

I’ve been with VM for years so pestered them on the phone for something extra. The offered 60Mb for no increase but being a greedy bugger I wanted 100Mb, which I managed to get for another £3/month, as well as a free HD box fot the TV.
    If your out of your 12month contract I’d say get on the phone & give them some hassle… 😉

Engineer is due tomorrow evening so I’ll post an update. 😕

takisawa2

Engineer has been.
    Made some adjustments to my “Power Levels”.
    Chap thinks there is something wrong with the eqpt in the street, so is looking into it.
    There’s even talk of a more qualified Technician coming round.
    The “Jedi” of VM installers I think… 🙂
    Anyhow, its a bit better, for now.

joat

When my broadband seems to be slow, I just think back to dial-up (some of you kids wont remember that 😉 ). My download speed seems to be a lot faster then..

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Virgin Media broadband’ is closed to new replies.