Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Virgin Media Bill increase
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

I recently downgraded my virgin media package, to the basic deal. Was going to leave but the option they gave me made it worth the option to stay. I’m signed up for a further 18 months

Then today low and behold today, having been on my new package for less than 2 months I’m told that the cost is going up by £3/month. Don’t worry they say, your service is improving and you’ll get bt sport as well. Small print tells me that another 15 quid a month however.

So whats the deal with this? Its not alot, but in principle surely once i’ve signed a contract they can’t just increase the tarif if and when they want..

or can they?

scotroutes

Read your T&Cs. They can increase the price – but you’ll have a right to cancel.

blisterman1962
    Free Member

Orange seemed to get away with increasing my mobile phone monthly contract costs a while ago.

rwc03
    Free Member

Mine’s just broadband but I was pretty annoyed by this too. BT faffed me around for 6 weeks before they decided they couldn’t repair the old line. Virgin was the only option. As you say it’s a small amount but annoying after you’ve worked out annual costs.
    Can’t be bothered to argue, I’ve spent half a day of this year on the phone to broadband companies and I don’t want to add even a minute to that time.

GolfChick
    Free Member

read the back of the letter you have the right to cancel without being penalised. We considered cancelling but priced it up compared to sky and we’re still in a better position as the speed is better on virgin.

cp

You’re lucky at 3 quid, ours is going up by 4. Whether I stick with them to see that rise is another matter though.

MrNero50
    Free Member

As Golfchick says, the other options are more expensive and speeds not as good! Plus I signed up to increase my broadband speed next year for “free” so figured I’d suck it up.

themilo
    Free Member

As above – you need to read the T&C’s. The Orange example (for example) was to do with a clause relating to Retail Price Index rises. If the RPI (general retail averaged costs) goes up more than (from memory) 2.2%, Orange can increase your line rental by the same amount. Probably something similar in your small print. For the record, everyone else had already put their prices up on the back of RPI increases at least a year before Orange did.

Honestly though? Virgin wouldn’t do it if they couldn’t – not worth it.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Virgin aren’t cheap and the recent price rise did annoy me, but the service is so good I’ve never considered leaving them.

Haze

£5.50 for us, I argued that our service has actually deteriorated since they ‘upgraded’ us to 20mb as the Superhub Wi-Fi can no longer reach our home office. They have offered an upgrade to 30mb with the all new improved (hopefully) Superhub 2 and £5 loyalty discount for 6 months.

Still think it’s a lot of money but shopping around has shown we’re probably getting a decent deal. Sky certainly can’t get anywhere near it.

Couldn’t squeeze multi-room out of them, maybe next time!

ste_t
    Free Member

I got a broadband only deal at £22 p/m with the first 2 months free. After the first month they wrote to me to inform me that the price was rising to £25 just in time for my first payment to go out.

Not a lot I can do as I have no desire for line rental and phone. Speeds are still brilliant compared to the shambles that is Sky broadband.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sadly this will be in the small print. Have had similar experience with T-mobile. Call them and say you want to cancel, to revert to original contract (which expires soon).

thekingisdead
    Free Member

A colleague rang up and complained….loyal customer….yadda yadda yadda. They took off the £3/month.
    Ring em up to cancel and they’ll most probably knock off the £3.

lightman
    Free Member

Im pretty much on the basic package TV/Phone/BB at around £30pm, my increase is £4.50! Not happy with that after dropping a lot of the extras to get the price down to something I can afford.

Just remember, you can save £5 a month if you pay your line rental yearly.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Virgin Media Bill increase’ is closed to new replies.