Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Virgin Galactic
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Would you pay to go up in a anircraft with such a poor safety record? I admire Branson for his vision and for pushing what is possible but no way would I pay over £100k for a few minutes flight time.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wish they hadn’t called it Galactic. Low earth orbit is hardly crossing the galaxy now is it?

no way would I pay over £100k for a few minutes flight time

This is just a hunch, but I am *pretty sure* it’s not aimed at you.

leffeboy

but no way would I pay over £100k for a few minutes flight time.

That’s because it’s not spare cash to you. Lots of people wouldn’t pay 4000 for a bike because it would be inappropriate as well but for many it’s not

and if I had the cash spare – I would, oh yes. It’s not the time, it’s where you are going. For those with less cash coke and hookers are available

wobbliscott
    Free Member

In the early days air travel was prohibitively expensive for most, as were cars, trains etc. This is no different. Those with the cash will do it, it will fund the technology development and improve and in about 30 years time there will be affordable low earth orbit flights to Australia in about 3 hours. That’s how things progress. So if you can’t afford it don’t bother, but don’t criticise those loaded folk who are basically investing in the technology of the future that billions of people will benefit from in 30 years time.

chewkw
    Free Member

monkeysfeet – Member
    Would you pay to go up in a anircraft with such a poor safety record? I admire Branson for his vision and for pushing what is possible but no way would I pay over £100k for a few minutes flight time.

Nope. I ain’t making him richer as I have better things to spend on with that money. He can try it on his celebrity pals with that tricks. Not me. 😮

jairaj

Haven’t read too much about it but does it really have a bad safety record?

I only know of the one large crash and as far I know the aircraft was still in prototype stage so not final design?

As long as the final product is fine I don’t really mind how many prototype iterations they went through.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The secret is not to press the big red button before it’s time to come home.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Imagine how Wilbur Wright felt, the plane he was about to fly for the first time had a 0% safety record.

Mutt Summers stepped into K5054 for the first time in March 1936, knowing not only did it also have a 0% safety record, but the shiny pale blue plane was supposedly capable of a dizzying 350mph in a straight line and another 100mph on top in a dive.

Likewise, poor Vladimir Komarov was one of the unsung heroes of the space age. He volunteered to pilot a troublesome prototype spacecraft, knowing it would probably kill him. He was right. However, that spacecraft has had an enviable safety record since 1971 and continues to launch astronauts/cosmonauts to the ISS…in fact, it’s the only current means of accessing the ISS.

Given that what VG are trying to do is push the envelope of manned flight, then there’s going to be unbroken ground. I’m not condoning a cavalier attitude to safety, but the more experience gained means the more we learn about a new aircraft/spacecraft.

ahwiles
    Free Member

their are plenty of people who can afford this, easily. People to whom £100k for a week* or so playing as an astronaut, before *actually* going into space, might even work out cheaper than their more usual activities.

(*i’m assuming you won’t just rock up and launch)

claim to fame: i’m pretty sure my dad and i designed the twin-vehicle system when i was 8. it’s so cool to finally see it built 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Virgin Galactic’ is closed to new replies.