Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Virgin Broadband – Router Signal
  • paddy0091
    Free Member

My landlord has recently changed to the latest Virgin hub, signal is appalling with no real reason. It’s speed is fine, but it’s cut out six times today. (Googling suggests contacting Virgin will be a waste of time…)

Anyone kindly suggest a means to improve signal to someone with limited knowledge in this area?

I would say the PC in question is around 5metresish away from the router in question. A floor and a wall in between, previous hub was floor less (scuse the pun), no idea why he changed it!

thanks

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Is it a superhub? They’re gash.

druidh
    Free Member

Try asking him to change the channel. They are usually set up somewhere in the mid range so bump.it up to 11 to stop it being swamped/interfered with by other nearby routers.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Virgin are aware of the superhub problems & a new one is due at the end of the year, meanwhile put the superhub into modem mode & use your old router, it’s the way forward.

Cheers.

druidh
    Free Member

FWIW, my SuperHub works a treat.

paddy0091
    Free Member

Yeah, it is a superhub. The old hub is still knocking about, so I can connect that to the superhub druidh?

thanks for the replies all

druidh
    Free Member

If you go into the Superhub settings, there is an option to run it as a modem only. Then use the old router as you used to.

wwaswas

Superhub running modem only here following half a day faffing around.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Is it a superhub? They’re gash.

Mines great but I did have to play around with the flood gate settings to get it to run properly.

paddy0091
    Free Member

cheers. Will have a bash at some point!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I ran my superhub as a modem only and used another netgear wireless router I had – gave a much stonger signal around the house but throughput fell off much much quicker for some reason so it was unusable upstairs.

Still haven’t figured it out so the superhub is back on wireless duties now 🙁

paulosoxo
    Free Member
    stimpy
    Free Member

Have had the same problem – set mine to one channel which is well away from those used by neighbours. Solved most dropouts but Virgin service still very poor (often have hours of intermittent connections, even when there are no other wifi signals around) 😥

fluffykittens
    Free Member

Using the superhub in modem only mode here.

Got a Linksys WRT150N wireless router with DD-WRT flashed to it, and set it to auto find the most clear wireless channel.
    Beware flashing with DD-WRT can totally brick your router, so make sure that you fully understand what you’re doing first!

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

FFS!!!! Just got a superhub on Monday and installed no problem, works fine, fingers crossed.

andermt
    Free Member

Also recently installed the superhub and it seems to be okay.

I got the automatic Virgin speed upgrade last week (from 50-100) and with the old modem/router set-up, while I did get 95mb of download it would only run one thing, so no way of streaming to the PS3 or even opening another webpage, ordered the new superhub, took me about 30mins to install and set-up.
    Now getting 105mb and multiple connections again. Wireless seems to work well around the house as well, better than the old D-Link router I had previously.

craigxxl
    Free Member

My Superhub was changed to modem mode and I use a TP Link router. The Superhub wireless is useless the rest works fine

warton
    Free Member

Virgin are aware of the superhub problems

Good, the signal on mine is terrible, no signal in kitchen or bathroom

HTTP404
    Free Member

had an engineer around the other day and he upgraded my modem to the superhub. he told me to keep the wireless router and to disable the wireless on the superhub as there were significant issues with the signal on it.

hammerite
    Free Member

Mmmmm this is worrying. I’m having a superhub installed tomorrow and a Tivo box. I have the old HD box and a modem (connected to a Netgear wireless router) at the moment. I decided to change to the superhub as my connection has been dropping out a few times a day.

Maybe Virgin are having wider problems?

Couldn’t believe it though, increasing my BB speed and adding in a Tivo box is reducing my bill by £5 per month. Can’t work it out!

stever
    Free Member

Googling suggests contacting Virgin will be a waste of time…

Last time I called tech support a couple of years ago was the stereotypical overseas callcentre following a script, that just leaves you frustrated. This time the Scots were brilliant, patient, knowledgeable and efficient. Sorted me out.

The wifi-analyser app tells you the channels your neighbours are using.

druidh
    Free Member

It shouldn’t be. As some folk on this thread have already commented, their Superhub is just fine – AND there’s a way to avoid the router part if you do experience any problems.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Last time I called tech support a couple of years ago was the stereotypical overseas callcentre following a script, that just leaves you frustrated. This time the Scots were brilliant, patient, knowledgeable and efficient. Sorted me out.

Apparently when you call it will go to a UK technician if available, otherwise it is routed to india.

If it is not a wireless problem it is always worth putting the Superhub into modem mode and connecting your computer via RJ45, then you can tell the Indian tech that it is nothing to do with wireless and this stops them dicking around for 40 minutes changing wifi channels and running speedtest and then declaring the problem is solved as the throughput has increased (due to a lucky reading on the non-deterministic speedtest site).

paddy0091
    Free Member

Blimey you lot, thanks very much! Will let you know as and when what I do. Limited free time right now

paddy0091
    Free Member

hey all, quick thanks. The simple step of plugging in the old modem into the superhub results in a suitable level of signal which in turn means I can use the internet without waiting around. thanks again

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

How does that work then?

The superhub is a modem, do you mean you put your old router into your superhub?
    (not being flippant by the way)

paddy0091
    Free Member

sorry, yeah. Old router I mean! 😛

Grimy
    Free Member

Another super hub sufferer here. Running in Modem mode with old router plugged in.

brakes
    Free Member

mine is crap too. I put it in 5GHz mode but that means the range isn’t great and it won’t work with my phone.
    will try plugging in an alternative modem.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Virgin Broadband – Router Signal’ is closed to new replies.