Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Virgin Broadband cable extension ………help????
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Ok, i currently have my Virgin Broadband service hardwired into my bedroom, however i am having to change rooms around upstairs due to imminent child arrival No3. I wish to go wireless at home and so would like my broadband modem etc downstairs, so i need a new cable from the little box that Virgin pipes into your house with (internal splitter).

Will i need a special cable as its broadband or is it just the same cable used to go to the HD tv box and therefore readily available off the net?

BontyBuns
    Free Member

UTP cable. Got RJ45 connctors on each end. Usually just called 'Network cable'

any will do. 😀

bigbloke
    Free Member

The current cable going from little box inside house downstairs goes outside house then back into bedroom to the modem, now this to me looks just like the other cable used to go to the set top box for TV?

TimS
    Free Member

If it's the one from the cable bulkhead to the modem, it's not network cable, but a coax (same as to the TV). I've moved my cable modem in the past and got new end connectors in B&Q (or maybe Maplin) — it's the same plug as for satellite dishes and the like. You could chop the existing cable short and re-terminate.

allthepies
    Free Member

Yeah, it's the same cable as per the TV STB. It's not the stuff Bonty mentions above.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Tim…..

So i'm right in thinking its the same stuff. How do you put connectors on, does it require a special tool/crimps?

Mind you ebay has loads of cheap already terminated stuff for sale.

clubber
    Free Member

This sort of thing on mine which is also Virgin

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5342622.htm

TimS
    Free Member

The ones I got were terminated by screwing the connector onto the end of the cable, no tools required. The signal's in the central core – Have a look at the ones you've got just now: the copper pin in the centre is actually the core of the cable.

Probably one of these: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10447&OrderCode=FU04E

mrchrispy

don't worry about it, get the cable and ends and you ace it.
    it really is very easy as there is **** all to get wrong.

rusky
    Free Member

Be warned that if you use sat co-ax with screw on F connectors, you will loose signal strenth & may end up with picture breakup etc.

clubber
    Free Member

No issue with mine.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Virgin Broadband cable extension ………help????’ is closed to new replies.