Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Virgin bleeder
  • tails
    Free Member

I’m gonna bleed/fill some brakes with oil for the first time (shimano saint) In the shimano instructions there are two different methods I’m going to try the first one, any special tips?

I was thinking of removing the brake from the bike so the caliper was hanging below the lever, would this help? Also that little “H” shaped thing in the reservoir body, does it need removing?

zaskar
    Free Member

You fail.

H in the reservoir? Leave it alone!

Try reading the shimano instructions!

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

HAve you got the correct oil? Not car brake fluid for Shimano.

tails
    Free Member

I have read the instructions which say nothing about this where as a bike radar article states

“there’s a blanking plug under the cap to catch you out that needs removing.”

How do you know to leave it alone?

thanks

tails
    Free Member

oh and I have proper shimano oil.

coatesy
    Free Member

I think the blanking plug they mention is probably the diaphragm under the cap, bled one in work yesterday and didn’t notice anything abnormal to catch anyone out.

tails
    Free Member

So you left the little metal “H” in the photo in place? here is the bike radar article think i might take down the shop 😕

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve always found bleeding brakes to be a pain, including Shimano brakes. I currently have 2 sets of XT and recently had to bleed them both. From the top down or bottom up, sometimes it works first time, sometimes it takes a few attempts. Although not strictly necessary, taking the caliper off and bleeding a straight hose (not kinked at the top obviously) is what I did on a second attempt on two brakes, but they still seemed a bit of a lottery whether it worked easily 1st time or not. Good Luck.

coatesy
    Free Member

Ok, my hand’s up, I was caught out.The blanking plug they talk about is in the bottle, not on the lever.(Should have read the article.):)

tails
    Free Member

Ok, my hand’s up, I was caught out.The blanking plug they talk about is in the bottle, not on the lever.(Should have read the article.):)

MWAH!! :mrgreen: 💡

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Virgin bleeder’ is closed to new replies.