Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Vip'r, Stoy, Deville, Fox FIT aaaargh,,,
  • emmodd
    Free Member

Ok, so i’ve relatively limited funds to upgrade my ’08 Patriot which presently has a Float R rear shock and ’10 36 Float R forks.

The reviews of the BOS stuff always seems really positive, the only stumbling block often being cost.

Presently my bike comes in at about 30lbs and is used on the ups and downs although I have a HT which means the weight of the Patriot isn’t such a concern.

I don’t know what importance people put in forks over rear shocks (or vice versa, or at all) but have a few options as I see it within my budget constraints.

I either:

(1) Have the Fit upgrade on my forks and buy a Vip’r
    (2) Have the Fit upgrade and buy a 2nd hand Stoy i’ve been offered for less than the new Vip’r
    (3) I buy a pair of Deville’s and grin and bear it with the Float R rear shock for the moment

Your opinion’s would as always be most welcome.

Ta.

emmodd
    Free Member

Anyone?

nickhart
    Free Member

why are you changing?
    if it aint broke don’t fix it. if it’s function try looking at getting the shock mojo’d or pushed maybe the same for the forks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Karinofnine

Why do you want to upgrade? Don’t the forks and shock work any more? If you have limited funds perhaps you could have them both serviced by TFT or some other professional firm, maybe have some new parts, or re-valve, and use the rest of the cash for diesel/b&b to get to/stay at some nice places to ride.

Karinofnine

How funny, Nickhart and I must have been typing at exactly the same time!

emmodd
    Free Member

Appreciate the comments guys.

The adjustments on the forks are basic and I struggle to get them to feel like I want them to. The FIT upgrade would be by Mojo and i’d be asking for a custom tune too.

In terms of the rear shock, it’s really the same story are with the forks tbh. I can’t find a happy medium with the shock and it either blows through the travel too easily or if I up the air pressure, I struggle to get full use of the shock. I’m not sure what a custom tune or Push upgrade to this shock would achieve, it being pretty basic.

I’m not set on splashing cash for the sake of it so sensible opinions are always appreciated 🙂

Chainline
    Free Member

Servicing costs can also be a factor. I rode enough this weekend that if I had Fox I’d require a service, same last weekend too.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I spent a couple of hours last night on a mates bike with a push tuned Float R shock and I was extremely impressed. I ride a similar bike fitted with a Rock Shox Monarch, which made the comparison relevant, and I also suffered exactly the same issues as you (with the Monarch). With the right amount of sag it blew through its travel and with more pressure / less sag it was way too harsh. With around 30% of sag the tuned Float R felt much better right from the off. It didn’t blow through it’s travel on medium sized jumps, or when soaking up impacts on high speed downhills covered in roots and rocks. There was also little evidence of the tuned Float packing down on repeated hits…. it always seemed to rebound quickly keeping the wheel in contact with the ground and helping the bike maintain it’s speed over the rough stuff. When climbing it remained controlled over roots and rocks where my Monarch would start to blow through its travel with the rider seated. There was also very little bob.

We then swapped out the Float for a CCDB and did the same loops again and I can honestly say that the tuned Float was 90% as good as the CCDB. So impressed was I that I’m about to order a tuned Float R for my bike to replace the coil shock.

emmodd
    Free Member

Thanks Yetiman.

Are you just ordering a standard tune? What you going for and where from?

xiphon
    Free Member

I’m not set on splashing cash for the sake of it

Really? Who you trying to fool? 😕

Get Mojo/Loco/TFT/J-Tech to work magic on your current shocks, as you don’t seem to have set them up correctly….

Yetiman
    Free Member

emmodd – I was going to order a new pushed Float R from TFT but they only have 215 x 64mm left in stock and I need 200 x 57 🙁

messiah
    Free Member

Hi. I wrote the review the other day so I guess I can comment… it was also my bike that Yetiman above rode last night 😉

As I posted the other day I think the Deville and VIPr set up is the best I have ridden, but the set up I have now is damn close… and a damn sight cheaper. I run a simple Float R rear shock with Push tune, and an RC2 Float fork. For tuning the shock speak to TFT/LoCo/Mojo/Stendec about what you like and dislike and they will do the rest (with TFT you can ride it for two weeks and if not happy send it back with comments – the others are probably the same).
    Same with the forks. Both TFT and Stendec like the Basic Float R front fork as it’s easier to tune than the RC2/FIT versions (that’s what they told me).

I could not get on with the air shock before the tune hence the CCDB. I very rarely run the CCDB now as the Float R is 90% as good.

Money no object or if you “need” new bits I would be tempted to go Bos, but seeing as my kit has life left in it and I love my bike as it is I’m sticking with what i have. When the fork or shock dies I’ll figure what to do then.

I should have said… my fork and shock were both secondhand. The Push tune to the shock cost many times what I paid for the shock but was well worth it.

Oh… good going getting a Patriot to 30# :mrgreen:

messiah
    Free Member

Yetiman… when are they getting the new ones in?

emmodd
    Free Member

So I spoke with/emailed the companies mentioned and here is the reply I received from one of them:

Both your fork and shock are our base line models which only offer rebound adjustment, you can have them custom tuned to suit your weight and riding style but this can’t easily be adjusted by your self or out on a ride. It sounds like you will benefit by upgrading them, its difficult to get a set up that works for every type of riding. This is why we have the RC2 and RLC dampers for your forks; this offers lots of adjustment which can be changed easily out on a ride. Same with our RP23 rear shocks which have better a feel with high volume and Pro Pedal options.

Not very helpful considering I asked what they could do with what I already had.

Luckily, TFTuned were very helpful and I had a 15 minute chat with one of their guys who explained a bit of the science behind the problems I had and what they could do do try to sort this. Suffice to say, the shock is going in to be pushed and the forks to have a fettle. I’d much rather spend £200 or so with TFTuned getting this done than listen to the first company who seem more interested in upselling the Fox product range rather than attempting to help me out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Vip'r, Stoy, Deville, Fox FIT aaaargh,,,’ is closed to new replies.