Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • VIP Absolut SX with alfine as AM bike
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

I really like the look of the VIP Absolut SX Frames and their ability to run single speed due to swingarm pivoting around the BB got me thinking about running one with an Alfine. Would this be a heavy, unridable mess on anything but downhills?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Anyone experienced this bike?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Mine gets used for anything and everything – work, x/c and d/h – cracking little bike.

It’s no lightweight but is far more nippy than the Intense Slopestyle it replaced. Have mine set up geared and even with 10-20psi less than recommended for my weight in the rear Float it climbs a treat although I do drop the pressure even further if I’m just playing at d/h otherwise the back end feels a little harsh (don’t know whether this is to do with leverage ratios but I guess as it’s primarily a slopestyle bike it’s designed to cope with big hits rather than soaking up every little rock and rut). I run my Lyriks at around 120mm most of the time but 140-150 slackens it out nicely for the downhills.

Mine is a small and actual toptube length is a tiny 20″ – suits me just fine at just 5’2″ – the first d/h capable bike I’ve actually felt I can ride and not just be a passenger on. Love it 😛

Rickos
    Free Member

I’d be worried about the unsprung weight of a heavy hub. You might need the shock tuned to suit and get the rebound beefed up a bit.

fourbanger
    Free Member

That sounds kind of small to me as I’m 5’8″. Maybe the long would be big enough.
    Wasn’t 100% about the Alfine, I’m just a convert now and I’m all about the low maintenance.
    Does anyone know where I might test ride one for size?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

The concentric pivot/BB means there’s no chain growth. Which combined with the fact you can unbolt the suspension linkages mean you could put a belt drive on it too. which is exactly what I’m doing with my Kona A.

fourbanger
    Free Member

ir_bandito, I like the plan, but did I imagine reading somewhere that band would slip as the rear end wasn’t stiff enough?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

hopefully that can be rectified using a snubber, but the Gates designed one is rubbish – I bent mine. About to embark on making some replacement sliding dropouts with integrated snubber which should be a lot stiffer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘VIP Absolut SX with alfine as AM bike’ is closed to new replies.