• This topic has 37 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by benji.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Violence
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Do you believe it is ever justifiable?

If yes, when? If no, why not?

jimjam
    Free Member

Yes. For the protection of yourself or someone who can’t defend themselves. Next.

[tangent]Also, define violence. [/tangent].

binners

Yes. Because I’m drunk, and you’re looking at my pint

benji
    Free Member

Yes, because some people just don’t understand get off my property and don’t come back and please stop damaging my stuff.

It’s only the next logical step when words are not enough, I’m not advocating all out nuclear warfare but a good smack in the chops is what some people really need.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

LEAVE ‘IM, BINNERS, EEZ NOT WORFIT!

Pigface
    Free Member

Yes

bencooper
    Free Member

Define violence. Self defence is fine, I studied Kuk Sool for years so happy with that.

footflaps

I’m not advocating all out nuclear warfare

I’ve met your sort, all mouth and no trousers!

I’ll have ya…..

tinybits
    Free Member

This will come down to a difference between initial violence and retaliation, with a preemptive strike argument thrown in.

In my world, yes it’s fine to use violence as per jimjam, however, there are circumstances where (and I also teach this) it becomes inevitable that there is going to be violence and the only choice left is who gets hurt and by how much.

Of course, if you escalate this to governments, then it become more of n issue than clipping a would be mugger around the ear!

footflaps

On a more serious note, anyone seen the documentary “Scum”, about best practice in young offender’s institutions and how to nurture young men to get the best from them….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk0XsSDOlfo[/video]

jimslade
    Free Member

Might is right. Fun too!
    I actually think pacifism is never justifiable, and can’t really be said to exist beyond the individual level. That said I’m on the mushroom cloud end of the violence-o-meter, could be a brain chemistry thing.

binners

This will come down to a difference between initial violence and retaliation, with a preemptive strike argument thrown in.

In my world, yes it’s fine to use violence as per jimjam, however, there are circumstances where (and I also teach this) it becomes inevitable that there is going to be violence and the only choice left is who gets hurt and by how much.

Of course, if you escalate this to governments, then it become more of n issue than clipping a would be mugger around the ear!

Or as the sensible childhood advice goes…

Always get the first punch in 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

A bit of context for the question. The violence that prompted the question is the recent spate of stabbings etc by Palestinians.

footflaps

Surely it’s ‘kick em in the nuts when they’re not looking’?

footflaps

The violence that prompted the question is the recent spate of stabbings etc by Palestinians.

I’ll have tea, no sugar.

Anyone for a Hobnob?

binners

Surely it’s ‘kick em in the nuts when they’re not looking’?

There’s that one too

wrecker
    Free Member

I had an unfortunate road rage incident. Whilst I wasn’t the instigator I didn’t come away feeling especially proud of myself. Now, if I can walk away from any confrontation, I will.
    The only thing that comes to mind that would set me off would be if anyone threatens the safety my family (that includes our home).

binners

Jus’ caaalm down…

Junkyard
    Free Member

individuals it can be but it is best avoided./

State v state or country v country or culture v culture much less so

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yes, unfortunately however civilised we think we are, we’re really just animals and some people will try to use force to take your things, or just because they want to. I would be nice to be able to walk away, or let the Police handle things, but it’s not always possible.

I don’t really care about my possessions too much, well not since I made sure my Bike was insured correctly – but if someone tries to hurt my family I don’t any moral problem with fighting them, I used to be able to throw a punch, but my arms don’t work anymore, thankfully a decade of riding means if I manage to get a kick to the knackers in they’re going to notice.

kudos100
    Free Member

Definitely.

If you are being attacked and fear for your life, violence is justified to protect and defend yourself.

Same for a family member, or anyone else who is weaker than the attacker/s, be it man, woman or child.

Also, hypothetically, if I were to walk in on someone (could be a friend or family member) sexually abusing their own child or another child, I would grab the nearest heavy object and bludgeon them half to death with it.

Probably not the smart thing to do but, hey ho. Working in a place that deals with sex offenders can do that to you.

Kryton57

binners – Member
    Yes. Because I’m drunk, and you’re looking at my pinte

Spelin corrected for you.

fasthaggis

Never threaten anyone,it takes away your advantage.

Geezers Need Excitement

hammyuk
    Free Member

That’s fighting talk where I come from……

jimdubleyou

Violence can always be justified.

Whether it’s the right thing to do or not is a totally different question.

funkrodent

wrecker – Member
    I had an unfortunate road rage incident. Whilst I wasn’t the instigator I didn’t come away feeling especially proud of myself

You’re Kenneth Noye and I claim my £5.00..

In answer to the question, as above. If someone attacks or threatens me, my children, dog, extended family or anyone who is innocent and can’t defend themselves, then it is certainly an option.

That said been in a couple of Binners’ pub related incidents recently (in the last 5 years) and talked them down each time. In the first incident the geezer even ended up buying me a pint, so violence is by no means always the answer..

Always get the first punch in

Story opp – Years ago my best mate Alex was walking down the road with his (genuinely) slightly psychotic younger brother Angus (youngest of three brothers so was always betting beaten up. Alex maybe 16, brother about 14. Three big lads stop them on the pavement and demand wallets/cash/electronic gadgetry (pre-mobile phones). Angus takes out his wallet and throws it on the floor. The big guy from the three bends down to pick it up and Angus boots him so hard in the mush that he briefly knocks him unconscious. Angus advances towards the other two who leg it. Angus empties the big guy’s pockets (he’s now stirring) before he and Alex have it away on their toes in the other direction. Can’t see that he did much wrong here (other than empty the other guy’s pockets, though there is a certain irony in that). Certainly a great example of a well thought out, well structured and well delivered pre-emptive strike.. 😉

funkrodent

Certainly a great example of a well thought out, well structured and well delivered pre-emptive strik

Though I guess that to be truly pre-emptive, Angus would have needed to have taken him out before the attempted mugging even happened. Minority Report stylee. Not sure that Plod would necessarily see things in that way though..

benji
    Free Member

I’ve met your sort, all mouth and no trousers!

I’ll have ya…..

Come on then flappy, I’ll put your feet where the sun don’t shine and I don’t mean Skegness 😆

footflaps

Come on then flappy, I’ll put your feet where the sun don’t shine and I don’t mean Skegness

As soon as I’ve finished shagging your mum, I’ll show you what happens to nancy boys with no stomach for a nuclear holocaust…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Yes … On the American football field …. 😈

to link another thread

But no cheapshots mind

toby1

Imagine TV without it – I have no idea what I’d watch aside from Parks and Rec!

Should you use it at random on people who irritate you, no.

Should people who commit heinous crimes be forced to receive it, yes, but you’d have to be very very clear that they were the perpetrators.

If anyone raised a hand to my wife would I step in and smack them, absolutely.

Should it be used in the name of religion, or as a result of people with political differences – no.

I have a lot of different answers to the original question.

For reference I’ve never been hit by, or hit anyone outside of a dojo. It’s almost always better to walk away.

seosamh77
    Free Member

s a result of people with political differences – no.

Bit of an overly definite answer for a ridiculously wide ranging subject. What if someone else’s politics leads to your degredation or the murder of your children?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

do you know who I am? DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ronnie Pickering?

sorry
    RONNIE **** PICKERING

cheekyboy
    Free Member

So……..anybody wanna do !!

P-Jay
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member

s a result of people with political differences – no.

Bit of an overly definite answer for a ridiculously wide ranging subject. What if someone else’s politics leads to your degredation or the murder of your children?

Have to agree, there have been moral wars and immoral wars. Even if you try to work it out purely by mathematics most wars are immoral though.

The say the only Moral War was the Second World War, Hitler was systematically killing millions of people – around 12m in total before the war ended, but the war claimed a staggering 60m lives, about 2.5% of the population of the world at the time. Most people would agree that in Europe at least the ends justified the means, but then the US indiscriminately firebombed every City in Japan and killed around half a million civilians before they dropped 2 nuclear bombs and killed a hundred thousand more.

And that’s the ‘Moral War’.

LeeW

No point to physical violence when I can kick anyone’s harris from behind the keyboard.

benji
    Free Member

As soon as I’ve finished shagging your mum, I’ll show you what happens to nancy boys with no stomach for a nuclear holocaust…

Who needs violence when you can pull out a mum joke, well played sir, duel on the common at sunrise?

Ps, she says you was rubbish the ups delivery driver was better 😆

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Violence’ is closed to new replies.