Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Vinyl – Cartridges, what are you using?
  • RustySpanner

Got a Rega Elys 2 at the mo, but it’s getting on a bit and needs changing.

Local shop does Ortofon – have had a listen to a 2M Blue, which I liked.
    Brighter than the Rega, but not too harsh.

Anything else you’d recommend?
    Always fancied a Denon high output moving coil, anyone tried one?

Going on a Rega 3, into a Marantz MM only phono stage.
    I quite like the existing phono stage, so that rules out most low output MC’s.

All ideas and recommendations welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

spacecadett
    Free Member

I use an Ortofon 2M Red and I am very happy with it.

I’m using it on a Mitchell Tecnodec turntable with a Rega RB300 tone arm, Trichord Dino Phono stage, Icon Audio Valve amp and King Sound electrostatic speakers

I think my system sounds great and I would recommend the cartridge.

Hope this helps.

ski
    Free Member

Another 2M Red user here.

I would rather spend my money on records than upgrade my cartridge any more 🙂

slowoldman

Ortofon MC10 on an LP12/Ittok. Yes it’s old, but not as old as me.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Sumiko blue point special rega P3. Getting on a bit now but it’s a great cart, different class to the rega I had before. It’s a high output MC so needs to be matched properly (think it’s a bit hot for the board in my nailm pre)
    Would probably try an ortofon or buy another BPS (Low output after getting the right phono board)

ransos
    Free Member

You need to match cartridge compliance to the arm – I’m using an Ortofon 530 mk2 with an SME 3S arm – low mass so needs high compliance cart.

ourmaninthenorth

Goldring Eroica LX. Linn LP12 with Basik arm and Armageddon power supply. Phono stage is a Pro-ject.

“Musical” is a description I’d give. Recommended.

roach

AT440mla on an SL1210 with original arm.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve got a Linn K9 but now fitted with an Audio Technica AT-95 stylus on my LP12. I do fancy something a little posher but want a new arm before I do that and I haven’t got that kinda money floating about

zbonty

Another LP12/Ittok here, with an ATsomething or other cheap. I picked up a nice ’84 set up with Nait1 amp, stand, speakers and tape deck I can’t get working. All for a bargain £400 from my local grumpy record shop.
    Would be interested to hear a better cart etc but cant affird to get any upgrade itches (same with bikes really). Then again i couldn’t exactly hear the difference after deck/amp services tbh. Just enjoy the choons

Unfortunately I cack handedly dropped a record and dinged the plinth last week

howarthp

Lyra Helikon with SME 10 and SME IV arm using an EAR-Yoshino 834P phone stage. I don’t play vinyl enough but love it every time I do

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Ortofon 2M Blue on Logic Tempo with Datum arm. Sounds a bit livelier than my old Ortofon MC10 super which was fretting on a bit.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Denon dl304 here.

Excellent cartridge. Mate has one on a technics so10 with sme V arm and it poses over any deck he compared out to, and his very expensive cd player.

Had a goldring eroica before, miles better. Need the deck, arm and phono stage to take advantage though

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Ortofon 2M with my old but trusty Michell Syncro deck, tone arm is Moth something or other.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Rega Exact on my RP6. Nice.

Did have a Nagaoka Mp200 but it was a bit too relaxing.

Had an Ortofon MC15 years back on my Planar 3. Too bright for anything over 20 minutes in my opinion.

Best foot tapping combo I had was an Elys 2 on a Planar 25 that had a rewired arm with some exquisite £600 cable that I picked up for a few hundred quid. Wish I’d never sold that.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Doh! the 304 is low output – sorry. Excellent though…

joolsburger
    Free Member

Audio Technica AT33PTG on my Clearaudio Champion LTD, it’s the bees knees. Much better than My Lyra Dorian or Dynavector DV20 and can be had on ebay for £300 or so. An absolute steal at that money and leaves enough for a cheap MC stage like a Dino.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think it depends a lot also on the arm and deck combination – I was lent an Audio Technica ATF5 MC cartridge and it was awful for me (Manticore mantra/Origin Live fully-modded RB250) – the guy had lent it to me then recommended the Denon which is perfect.

RustySpanner

Thanks for the replies folks!
    Realistically, the 2M Blue is at the top of my price range, which sadly rules out the beautiful Sumiko, which I’ve heard before.

TG, positive feedback on the Denon range, thanks.
    The high output DL110 has been on the ‘must try’ list for years – might just give it a pop whilst they still make them.
    🙂

Can’t believe the price of the Nagaokas now!

Agree about the cheaper AT MC’s, they tend to set my teeth on edge.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Have you tried those cork platter mats – I have the overpriced and flimsy ringmats development one and it made a very big difference on my glass plattered manticore mantra (like a thicker rega glass platter).

http://www.ringmat.com/

It might not be advisable if your deck has an acrylic platter or something designed to work the same way.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Vinyl – Cartridges, what are you using?’ is closed to new replies.