Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Vinyl appreciation (not the saucy kind)
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

Treated myself the other day to the new Sleater Kinney album on vinyl. What a treat! Somehow with all that’s gone on in the last few years and having a kid, I never found the time (or money) to record shop much and anytime I did buy new music it was electronically, and that’s never sat well with me, makes it all a bit throwaway.

I’m not going to get all poncy about sound quality, my setup is in no way good enough to truly tell the difference much, but I have really missed the tactile experience of pulling out a record and reading the sleeve notes then sitting down and enjoying the whole album.

Also a good excuse subjecting my daughter with some of my choice of music rather than the missus and her Take That problem

isto
    Free Member

Good album and you can’t beat listening to new albums on vinyl. My last one was Bill Callahan’s Dream River so you have just reminded me that I must treat myself again soon.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Started digging through my merger collection and finding stuff I completely forgot about, and re-purchased on MP3 without realising I had it.

Moved on to the David Axelrod release that came out on Mo-Wax back around 2001 – looks like the wife will have to put up with this most of tonight

somafunk

The new Late Night Tales by Jon Hopkins on 180g vinyl should be delivered to me on Monday – after work it will be a case of switch the phone off, lock the door, crack open a beer and pour a whisky. 😀

palmer77
    Free Member

I too have rejuvenated my interest in all things analogue. I had a Pro-Ject debut which had seen better days and replaced it with a RPM carbon which is a thing of beauty 🙂 I’ve also been inspired to pick up some new vinyl from the recommendations from the ‘Most complete album…’ thread.

drlex
    Free Member

subjecting my daughter with some of my choice of music

Last week, I dug out the spare Rega 3 to give to daughter 2 for her 14th birthday. Today she comes back from shopping with a copy of “Relics” and a copy of “Steel Wheels” from the second-hand record shop.
    Looks like you can win after all…

athgray
    Free Member

Just purchased a record player, and will be digging out some old Orbital and LTJ Bukem vinyl from the loft.

DezB
    Free Member

Went shopping for old funk vinyl last week, found a great 70s Sly Stone album… well, a few others too but they were too expensive!
    Like it, but don’t agree that you “can’t beat it”. I like listening to music, whether it be messing around with sleeves, computer files or slipping in a shiny disk, makes no difference.

somafunk

I generally prefer the sound of my digital files whether that be CD or HD based as i consider them to sound superior/more exacting than vinyl (especially for my electronic/electronica listening) but when i want some decompression down time i select a vinyl album that is designed to be listened to as an entire work or in the whole so to speak as it forces me to sit down with no iPad or distractions (apart from a whisky, beer or a few “J’s” and just dissolve into the music.

That’s why i buy certain music on CD and why i buy certain music on Vinyl, i’ve got the entire back catalogue of “Late Night Tales” on Vinyl along with other certain musical series such as “Back To Mine” and others – and having the ability to play and record vinyl to high standards is great for raiding my mates collections of tens of thousands of vinyl – they get it all digitised and i get a copy – result 😀

Hadge
    Free Member

That’s the beauty and pleasure with vinyl. Moving the arm over the record, gently lowering the stylus down and then listening to the whole album, especially if it’s one you’ve never heard before.
    I’m an engineer by trade, now doing CNC stuff so I love all things mechanical. I love my LP12 with Zeta arm, how it’s made, the asthetics, it’s looks and of course how it performs. I have a Michel Orbe with SME V arm and that’s the same, it looks mechanically right and they both make listening to music a pleasure. Long live vinyl.

athgray
    Free Member

I like your musucal style Somafunk.

Although now enjoying my old vinyl I don’t get overly sentimental about the format. The digital age has allowed a vast array of music to become available made by people with recording equipment in their bedroom. Yes, there is a lot of dross, but plenty of gems.

I love trawling sites like bandcamp and juno records with a whisky in one hand and the credit card in the other.
    The main problem with a night like that, and not owning a physical object like a cd at the end of it, is ploughing through your ipod library in the morning with a headache trying to remember what you purchased the night before.

integerspin
    Free Member

Also a good excuse subjecting my daughter with some of my choice of music rather than the missus and her Take That problem

Intersteller Overdrive, one of the best tracks ever.
    I still haven’t got a CD player.

conkerman
    Free Member

Steven Wilson.

The Raven that refused to sing.

What an album!

Check out the videos for Drive home and the title track. Beautiful.

bob_summers

Been playing the snot out of the recently released Fugazi demos on vinyl.

No love for 45s? My favourite format.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Vinyl appreciation (not the saucy kind)’ is closed to new replies.