Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Vintage tractorists, Ferguson TE20 lift arm lower pivot pin swap.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

The lift arm balls on my TE20 have worn to the point where they popped off their mounting pins. Without properly checking what was involved in their replacement I ordered the parts. Turns out the lower mounting pins are bolted from inside the rear axle ‘trumpet’.

So it looks like I will need to separate them from the rear end which looks like a much bigger job. It’s further complicated as my tractor has a MIL loader which is mounted to the rear axle too.

Has anyone else undertaken this, is there anything I should look out for, special tools required etc?

kilo

I have no idea but your threads do make me smile!!

wingnuts

No idea myself but I can put you in touch with an old boy who does. He has a lot (vast amounts) of experience in restoring these machines. However he is absolutely no interwebby type experience so if you want a conversation mail me (in profile) and I’ll get him to contact you.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

I too have no idea, but can put you in touch with someone who has 15 Fergies and David Brown’s…. and has had half of them down to the last nut and bolt…

matt_outandabout

I too have no idea, but can put you in touch with someone who has 15 Fergies and David Brown’s…. and has had half of them down to the last nut and bolt…he lives on Loch Tay and has the most a awesome workshop.

billytinkle
    Free Member

No idea here either, and I don’t even know anyone who does!

bearnecessities

No idea; great pic though 😀

3dvgirl
    Free Member

i hope ur not using this tractor for a commercial purpose as it doesn’t have a roll bar.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The pic shows a very clean tractor. Is it in a museum?

he lives on Loch Tay and has the most a awesome workshop.

Does he want an apprentice?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

i hope ur not using this tractor for a commercial purpose as it doesn’t have a roll bar.

Health and safety are two words seldom uttered together at Moonter Towers.

The above pic is NOT of my tractor. Mine is a much rustler specimen that has seen very little maintenance over the years.

Wingnuts and MO&A I will email you for contacts. It looks straight forward but the bits look big and heavy. Engine crane heavy.

avdave2

No idea either but here is my contribution to vintage tractorists

mcmoonter
    Free Member

No idea either but here is my contribution to vintage tractorists

I’m not quite that extreme. 😯

Wingnuts, my emails to you keep bouncing back, can you mail me?

matt_outandabout

mcm: ygm
    You will be speaking to this chap:

TheBrick
    Free Member

Look for your local group of these guys

http://www.nvtec.co.uk/

user-removed
    Free Member

Also not a Scooby but my dad has a couple of fergies and spends his life taking them apart and rebuilding them. Email in profile if you’d like a chat to him. Beware, he does like to talk…

3dvgirl
    Free Member

Health and safety are two words seldom uttered together at Moonter Towers.

its all fun and games until you are crushed to death. i grew up on a farm heath and safety is not a joke.

shifter
    Free Member

further complicated as my tractor has a MIL loader

Hell’s teeth, how much does she weigh?

piemonster

LOL at shifter

mcmoonter
    Free Member

LOL at shifter

+1

I wish I’d used the dung forks on my ex MIL

wingnuts

Corrected profile and mailed you.

andytherocketeer

Have no idea, but my first company car was like that, but with a fork lift auxiliary bit attached. Might have been slightly less vintage. Cruise control too – well a lever for the accelerator.

sharkbait
    Free Member

McM, do you have an engine hoist?
    My feeling is that the biggest issue will actually be the wheel – they weigh a lot more than you expect, even on a little tractor.
    Once you’ve got the wheel safely off I bet the trumpet will be fairly easy. get spraying the WD40 on those wheel nuts now though.

I’m not an engineer or a tractor repair man but I did manage to get this back together with nothing more than an engine hoist, screwdriver and a few [big] sockets!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sharkbait, yes I’ve got a crane and a trolley jack. I’ve had a wheel off once before and it did weigh a lot. Starts skooshing WD40

Good work on the International. How / why did you end up with it in two halves?

epicyclo

mcmoonter – Member
    I wish I’d used the dung forks on my ex MIL

That would definitely be a case of her having the MiLILF treatment 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

Good work on the International. How / why did you end up with it in two halves?

I found it in a scrap yard like that. It originally had a loader on – it was coming out of a field and another vehicle hit the loader, which wasn’t high enough, and snapped the tractor in half. Damage was a broken engine block, front differential, glass door and the ‘tombstone’ that the front axle connects to. Insurance co wrote it off as a new engine was about £10k.

I bought it for £2k and sourced a replacement block, diff and tombstone from a burnt out tractor in Devon. I took the engine off and had it rebuilt into the replacement block by an International dealer head engineer for £200. Refitted the engine with a new clutch (while it was all apart), attached the tombstone and the front axle and started it up!

I didn’t have a key initially and the dashboard is digital so had no idea how many hours it had done or whether the hydraulics worked (big risk) – turns out everything worked and the engine had only done 1700 hours, which is very low indeed 🙂
    The only thing that I got wrong was the power steering – when I started it up and turned the wheel left, the wheels turned right becuase I had the hoses on the wrong way round!!
    This is my third tractor. There was a seized David Brown 850 at the property when we bought it (got that going and used for 12 months before selling it) and then a smaller International without a cab (becuase it had rotted). This is far more tractor than I need but I like being out of the wind while cutting the grass in my paddocks.
    😳

Tractors built pre-2000 are fairly basic (apart from the hydraulics) and easy to work on, it’s just that everything is much heavier than on a car.

marcus7
    Free Member

Guy sat next to me said ( well laughed ) that you should scrap it… too many about aparently :-), he’s into this sort of stuff and says no special tools just lots of blocksof wood which in your case should not be an issue… sorry not much help but he said its a bit of a bugger…

sharkbait
    Free Member

mcM is this what you’ve bought?

If so and the lower link is slipping off i don’t really understand why you’re replacing the mounting pin when it’s the ball in the link that’s worn.
    Shouldn’t you just be replacing the ball?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sharkbait. That’s the part I have. Both the pin and the ball are really badly worn. As a temporary fix I might make a big washer to hold it together, but the pedant in me knows that is not the long term solution. I’m actually looking forward to the challenge of fixing it.

Damn good effort on your salvage repair. I’ve helped split a big tractor to fit a clutch, we had a sort of track with two jacks on rails to support and roll the two halves apart and back again.

sharkbait
    Free Member

As a temporary fix I might make a big washer to hold it together

To be honest I bet that would last a very long time!

As I see it that pin should have a sacrificial “bearing tube” over it to take the wear and give a good fit on the lower link ball – do you not have those fitted?

My project looked scary but wasn’t actually that big a deal!

You’ll be fine, put plenty of support under the gearbox and hope the nuts come undone easily enough. 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

As I see it that pin should have a sacrificial “bearing tube” over it to take the wear and give a good fit on the lower link ball – do you not have those fitted?

It’s too late for that now. Both the ball and pin are worn in an oval.

The loader uses hydraulic pressure diverted from the lift arms, so it is always generating wear.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Oh well, get stuck in 🙂

My pile of bits ended up looking like this:

Splitter & 4230 by Metal-Chicken, on Flickr

So I’m sure you’ll have it sorted in a morning 😀

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I found some time this afternoon to get the new lift arms fitted. There wasn’t enough wear at the pin to justify splitting the rear of the tractor, the wear was concentrated on the balls and the arms.

The hardest part was drifting out the bushes on the draft control links. Lots of blow lamping and hammering got the out.

So now its fixed I don’t need to worry about the spitter falling off as I trundle around.

Job satisfaction rating? Pretty high. 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Vintage tractorists, Ferguson TE20 lift arm lower pivot pin swap.’ is closed to new replies.