Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Vintage Rock Shox Pike Damper Qs
  • andeh

….OK, so maybe not that vintage, but after my 44s ate themselves, I’m back on my old Pikes for the foreseeable future (no point upgrading due to steerer/wheel restrictions).

Trouble is, they’re old, they piss oil (I know, the fix is easy, I’ve done it 4-5 times before), they pack down etc. I’m after a more permanent solution and I’ve heard that you can fit the newer black box Moco and rebound dampers to help improve general performance and, probably, help retain a bit of oil.

My question is this: which dampers are compatible with the old Pikes (454 Air U-Turn) and where can I get hold of such a thing?
    Also, is it worth swapping to the, questionably, more reliable solo air spring, as I never us the U-Turn feature (not even sure where the nob has gone, actually)?

Thanks

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Best bet is fitting the RCT3 damper from Revs, along with dual flow rebound…

By some strange fate, I have both that I’m prepared to part with, along with a solo air spring, though I’ll have to check the spring fits in Air U turn stanchions, as if I remember right, there’s differences on the spring side to do with circlip grooves.

Email in profile if you’re interested.

andeh

Well, that is fortuitous 😉

I’ll send you a message, are the threads the same on the Moco? Is it a straight swap?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Yep, dampers are a straight swap, compression is easy peasy, rebound means you have to whip the lowers off and use circlip pliers.

Off the top of my head, seem to remember oil levels are slightly different, but it’s easy to do with a tape measure… think it’s O ring to bottom of damper -15mm, which ends up something like 85mm from top of crown, but I’ll double check.

andeh

Cheers, sending email as I also send this…

robhughes
    Free Member

Loco chucked in the RCT3 damper and a dual flow when he serviced my 426 dual air pikes.
    The difference is just amazing.
    The oil volume in the damper is 140 ml and still 15 ml in both lowers.
    Good here for answes isn’t it. 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Vintage Rock Shox Pike Damper Qs’ is closed to new replies.