Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Vintage, Retro or Old
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-MTB-DOWN-HILL-AMP-/290953825965

VINTAGE MOUNTAIN BIKE – DOWN HILL

PROBLY SINGLE COPY IN THE WORLD .

Unique prototype model built by Verlicchi (bologna italy) chassis (chassis supplier for ducati racing), MUSEUM PIECE OR FOR TOP COLLECTORS.
    frame and swingarm handmade by master craftsman.
    probly single copy in the world.

What do we reckon then?

kiwijohn

Do it.
    You know you want to.

JoeG
    Free Member

The frame reminds me a bit of a Mountain Cycles San Andreas; two halves shaped and formed then welded together. But I don’t see anything that makes the ebay prototype really desirable, except to a Verlicchi or Ducati collector.

Most desirable retro bikes were early models from builders/companies that went on to success later. Team replicas or actual bikes that were ridden by successful racers also appeal to some. The same with an innovative bike that introduced a new design or feature, but may not have been successful as either the technology or the market wasn’t quite ready at the time. And still other old bikes were ones that we lusted after, but we didn’t buy or couldn’t afford.

I don’t see the one on ebay checking any of those boxes. Rare does not necessarily equal desirable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldnpastit

US $3,950.00

😯

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Seriously, would you trust a seller who let his lawn get in that state?

The bike also appears to have a milk carton in the bottle cage.

fasthaggis

OMG amp forks!, I am out. 😯

It has discs ,is that now young retro?

🙂

walleater

The price is hilarious but Verlicchi made many of the early suspension frames (Iron Horse, Kona, Diamond Back etc) and had World Champ wins:

haggis1978

now i like my old retro MTBs but that is gopping! and dont even get me started on the milk bottled in the bottle cage!

stevied
    Free Member

Was it welded by some half-drunk monkey? Damn, that’s ugly…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Vintage, Retro or Old’ is closed to new replies.