Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Vintage looking pedals for a 1996 P7?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Bought a lovely 1996 Orange P7 the other day, it’s great apart from pedals on it.

I would like to keep the pedals looking in fitting with the bikes vintage, but new would be preferable.

Any ideas what pedals people were using on mountain bikes looked like in 1996?

bearnecessities

Got to be some V12s or V8s if you want new and a half decent pedal. (V8s may have been released later?)

Or any old crappy caged leg eaters with toe clips! Google bear trap pedals.

Or SPDs would work, if you use them.

Pics of the retro tat please! (P7s were awesome).

Gary_M
    Free Member

I bought a p7 in 1996 and I’m sure I had shimano spd’s on it. For a more old school look you could get some power grips.

garage-dweller

1996 SPD’s (black was the LX colour of the era I recall, the XTs on my 1998 Schwinn were silver) and you should only ride it in Lycra.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I came here to say what bear just said. V12’s. Don’t forget to add splashes of blood to make them look more realistic. Oh, and something purple anodised.

What tyres do you have on/planned?

momo

Oh, and something purple anodised.

’96 would have been right at the end possibly even past the purple ano era, I know my ’93 kona was covered in multi-coloured tat but the Rockhopper from ’97 survived pretty much unscathed (baring a garish yellow x-lite saddle)

anyway, back to pedals, V-12s weren’t released until ’99 I think, so has to be either SPDs or beartraps for me

elliott-20
    Free Member

How about shark bites, bear traps or triple traps for that oh-so painful nostalgic feel?

garage-dweller

Pretty sure Momo is right purple was pretty much dead by then. 1996 was early anodised risers era, preferably from x-lite with a brace so they could creak more.

garage-dweller

Double post sorry.

kcal

power straps?

TimP
    Free Member

https://goo.gl/photos/aKd4fdJfLUreiFoY6

This is my 1996 P7. Orange branded pedals (you can just about make out the Ox on the side) is the answer, with toe straps

for sale on Retrobike if anyone is interested…

Email in profile too

chestrockwell

Ask on retrobike and you’ll have no end of choice.

simondbarnes

I had Shimano PDM747s on my 1996 P7 which went on after one proper ride as the clips & straps that had been on it when I bought it tried to kill me.

twisty

Most likely M525 SPDs (don’t look massively different to black M520), or maybe M747 pedal (don’t look massively different to silver M520) or possibly even some older M737.

But also as the P7 had a rep for being a tougher bike would find DMR V8/V12s on them and loads of new options available that look just like this. I ran sharkbite pedals which were pretty common, god knows why as my shins still bear the scars – not as good and harder to find something like that cheap nowadays.

Some people were still running Wellgo toeclips and straps.

montgomery
    Free Member

You want my old Tioga pedals, silky smooth bearings and less than 250g the pair…

The Clockwork I had in 96 had (I think) moved on from Onza HOs and was kitted out with early Time ATACs, but I used the Tiogas for long haul stuff.

lunge

PDM747’s were the SPD of choice.

if you want flat pedals, bear traps, may I suggest the really terrible Rob Warner Base Jump pedal.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I plead insanity.

…or was it inanity?

racefaceec90

momo

I lusted after those black widows as a teenager, sadly my paper round earnings never got close enough to paying for them!

Gary_M
    Free Member

But also as the P7 had a rep for being a tougher bike

Thats not what I remember, I bought it as arse up/head down racer.

But yeh purple was out by then, it was big in the early 90’s, things went more subtle by 1996, I did have red x-lite stubby pro’s, a red USE seatpost and red x-lite skewers.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

These new modern era Ritchey SPD pedals. I had the original mahhooooosive red ones on my 1993 Cannondale M1000, but these look pretty pleasingly retro still.

1990s versions:

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Here she is…
    [/url]DSC02642 by Vic, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]DSC02641 by Vic, on Flickr[/img]

re pedals, I just put some old Wellgo Mag 1’s on for now.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

🙂

twisty

That painted P7 and LX gruppo with 4 arm crank and fat rear mech looks 1998 to me.
    A very nice bike and the pedals look right. Needs a Flite Ti saddle though 😉

But also as the P7 had a rep for being a tougher bike

Yeah but the bike that the smarter arse up/head down racers got, dumbasses like me got a lighter Aluminium frame and then snapped it.
    Great race bike however being not even particularly lightweight amongst it’s steel peers was no doubt marketed as being ‘hardcore’ and ‘gnarly’. There were people using the P7 with flatties for downhill and jumpy fun as well.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Yep, rear mech is a later one,on the lookout for something more of the era…and slightly wider bars.

chestrockwell

It was originally marketed as a tougher Clockwork but at the same weight. Used oversized tubes to gain strength while being able to use thinner tubes. It replaced the Prestige as the top spec steel frame but by that point the race bike position was taken by the Aluminium Elite or Vitamin T.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Those forks look tidy, did you get them rebuilt by Tim at Fork English.

I got a set of rc35’s rebuilt a couple of years ago with the intention of putting them back on the P7 and rebuilding it. Then had a reality check and realised that although it would look great I would never ride it. Sold the fork and frame on ebay.

Tim has, or at least had, brand new carbon fork braces, I got a set fitted and they are lush.

ChipkoAndolan

I had a 1996 P7. It came with some pretty basic steel cage pedals with toe-clips. I replaced them with a pair of Time ATACs not dissimilar to these: http://images.canadianlisted.com/nlarge/time-atac-pedals-20-po-co_8070116.jpg
    You might have to spend some considerable time trawling the second-hand market to find a pair in decent nick though/

prawny

I had some tioga clipmans in 1996. They were scary for the first few days, they were reportedly stiff when new, on my first ride in the wild it turned out I’d never been properly clipped in practicing, I had to take my shoe off and kick it free from the other side.

mcj78
    Free Member

Time Atacs or these –

(Onza HO)

jamj1974

Any of these: –
    – Shimano 747
    – Ritchey Logic
    – Tioga Surefoot 5’s, or;
    – Onza HO’s as above

stwhannah

I’m tidying at ST Towers. It’s a bit like archaeology. I’ve just unearthed a set of those Rob Warner bear trap pedals. They are hugely heavy. But if they float your boat (or you happen to live near ST Towers) get in touch.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Vintage looking pedals for a 1996 P7?’ is closed to new replies.