Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Vintage Dark Side – Junk or Gem?
  • thepurist

I know nothing of the ways of the dark side, but I’ve recently been needing to go out and about in the local area a bit more so have been using my hardtail with semi-slicks. Trouble is that it’s a bit spangly to leave locked up in the town centre (XT bits, Rebas etc.) so I was looking for something a bit more suitable. Waaay back in the 80s I bought a road bike (2nd hand) and used it for a summer, since when it’s been languishing in various sheds and garages. Anyhow, I finally liberated it from the shed it’s been in for the last 9 or 10 years to see if it’s worth reviving. I’ve done a bit of googling and all I can find is that Viscounts had a recall with a ‘death fork’ (not sure if this is or isn’t one of those) and had a few odd bits – but the BB seems free enough and the mechs & brakes seem to move, though the brakes are the wrong way round at the mo.

Anyone got any insight into this? Is it worth a go at reviving it? Clicky piccy for more – hopefully!

theflatboy
    Free Member

strip it, clean it, singlespeed it, ride it.

crikey
    Free Member

Junk IMHO.

Use it and abuse it, but don’t spend lots getting it going. Be aware too that it might have rusted in various places, so I’d not be doing any drop offs of more than 2 inches…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    colnagokid

viscount was a bit of a name back in the ’70’s if I recall

BigDummy
    Free Member

There is nothing exciting about that particularly I don’t think. BUT it will probably work fine. The Weinmann Vainquer brakes are rather good, and allow fantastic tyre clearance. Experiment, but you can probably get soem very comfy rubber in there if the existing tyres are worn out. The old 5/6 speed blocks and chains just don’t really wear very badly, and with friction shifting you can get away with murder anyway.

I really, really wouldn’t turn it into a project. Compatibility problems will sap your morale and bleed cash. I have done this, and ended up turning a £68 eBay bargain into a £500 headache! (see pic below)

Hang onto it, read the Blurb about the A Homer Hilsen, on Rivendell’s website and appreciate it for what it is: a seriously practical, modestly priced bicycle from an age when most bikes were like that. The wierd loop behind the saddle incidentally is a support for a big saddlebag I think. Something from Carradice secondhand on the ‘bay would work beautifully.

This is my out of control project, a Freddie Grubb of roughly the same vintage, dne up for a weekend out. A great sort of bike for a relaxed weekend. 🙂

thepurist

Cheers all – had a better look over it last night & looks like all it needs is new tyres & tubes, maybe a look at the brakes and that’s it. Maybe a bit of chain lube too if I’m gonna push the boat out!

rOcKeTdOg

viscount mint are lovely biccies

ampthill

Just spent £90 doing up my old road bike, tyres handle bars, bar tape, cables…(good handle bar tape is a great up grade for under a tenner)

Really enjoyed a spin on it afterwards. My frame is an old 531 Mercian (1985 I think), so to me its a gem. But whether it really is is another matter

spend a little cash and enjoy

Marmoset
    Free Member

Freddie Grub – my dad had one of those until it died of fatigue – very light bike at the time….I feel old now.. 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

Cables, bar Tape, saddle, seatpost (if your really flush), remove little mudgaurds, ride.

Could do with some new wheels though, but cheap ally ones are out there.

thepurist

Numpty question #1 (I did say I know nothing of the ways of the dark side…)

The current tyres are 27 x 1 1/4 – not a common size but I can find a few of them on CRC & the like, but I’m assuming a 700C inner tube will be OK do the job?

RestlessNative
    Free Member

The death fork was the alloy one fitted to the Viscount Aerospace as far as I remember, yours seems to be a lugged frame and forks so I wouldn’t worry

maxlite
    Free Member

I’ve got a Viscount Aerospace hanging up in the garage, steel fork tho.

cynic-al
    Free Member

re tubes – yes

Bike looks pretty cheap judging by the components, I wouldn’t invest in it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Vintage Dark Side – Junk or Gem?’ is closed to new replies.