Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Vinegar Strokes
  • Cougar

It’s good to see that the denizens of STW are all practising safe eating by always using a condiment. I know some will argue that it’s just not the same, but you can’t be too careful.

binners

I used to work at ICI Salt works. The biggest supplier of table salt in the country. It was quite an eye opening experience. Since which I NEVER put salt on, or in, anything that’s going in my mouth.

Vinegar on the other hand….. drown ‘t buggers in it

randomjeremy
    Free Member

What about the Welsh method of cheese and chips? It’s certainly interesting

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awwweewe if we’re getting all “continental” by bringing in “other countries” like welsh wales and scotlandshire.. then I’m bringing in Belgium..

Who, in thier right mind, would forgo Belgian Fries, Mayo and Leffe.. on a freezing April day just before The Ronde??

Eh..

Go on then just Who?

Not I, I’ve been doing this for sure and carried on doing it all the way over to Roubaix..

Cougar

Belgian Fries, Mayo curry ketchup

FTFY.

molgrips
    Free Member

What about the Welsh method of cheese and chips? It’s certainly interesting

I used to have that on Mondays and Fridays when I was given money to eat in the canteen. (aged 11)

DaRC_L

Garlic Mayo

Aioli FFS ❗
    and it’s used on continental fish dishes that don’t have chips.

Perhaps a special sub-clause for April in Belgium.
    I thought the Welsh method was only used for Saturday lunch-time with hair of the dog (assuming the hair was a beer hair).

binners

Isn’t it the law that chips and cheese has to be accompanied by donner meat

In which case we need to get some chilli sauce involved

philconsequence
    Free Member

i read the thread title as ‘vagina strokes’ how disappointing.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Vincent: You know what they put on french fries in Holland instead of ketchup?
    Jules: What?
    Vincent: Mayonnaise.
    Jules: Yuck!
    Vincent: I seen ’em do it, man, they ****’ drown ’em in that shit.

khani
    Free Member

It’s an interesting topic, however I feel salt and vinegar pale into the background when trumped by northern chip shop gravy I wish it would become the norm inside the M25.

I know 🙁 chips n gravy, I miss it,
    If I’m in holland it’s Satay all the way mmmmmmsataymmmmmmmm….

cheez0
    Free Member

Put cooked chips in a large bowl, splash them up with some picked onion vinegar, then sprinkle with smoked paprika, fresh ground black pepper and then salt. Toss the buggers about a bit to coat evenly then scoff noisily, avoiding sharing with drooling mrs. 🙂

cheez0
    Free Member

Oh, garlic mayo or chicken gravy is also great as is ketchup

But salad cream is the devils work.avoid.

Harry_the_Spider

(not very) interesting fact. They have Heinz Salad Cream on the International Space Station.

Kato

salt then vinegar then salt again

and stick dirty battered sausage in it too

King-ocelot
    Free Member

GlitterGary had it right, chips gravy and peas. Salt and vinegar in any order. I would add a can of Barrs dandelion and burdock, but it needs to be Barrs or you won’t be able to sell it to me. My local chippy applies the salt and vinegar at the same time.

willard

If it was down to me, I’d go vinegar, then salt to ensure that the salt sticks to the chips. However, my local chippy does the salt first, then the vinegar, which seems to work as they taste nice.

My old local chippy in Hemel used to do vinegar first, then salt, but I always used to empty a tub of mushy peas over the top to give them a bit of texture.

Either way, chips are food of the gods. Love ’em

theotherjonv

I like soy sauce on chip shop chips.

Gribs

Home made deep fried chips on their own – vinegar, salt, maybe a bit of ketchup or some grated cheese
    Chippy chips – Salt then vinegar, it’s how they do it in Yorkshire. Gravy is acceptable with a pudding, not with fish.

All other forms of “chips” are shit and don’t deserve the name.

Dan67
    Free Member

not enough vinegar till the chips are nearly floating 😉

IdleJon

add a can of Barrs dandelion and burdock, but it needs to be Barrs or you won’t be able to sell it to me

Fentiman’s D&B is nicer – not as sweet or bubblegummy as Barr’s. More expensive though.

Salt first, vinegar to wash through.

The joy of a good curry sauce on chips, yum.

Harry_the_Spider

There is only one drink to go with chip shop chips.

It must be ice cold.

It must be from a can.

It must be

Dancake
    Free Member

No Salt or Vinegar

HP Fruity Sauce for dipping
    Very Greasy Chips

5 rounds of Bread/ Butter. Butter has to melt and stain your Tee Shirt.
    On no account eat a chip if it is not surrounded by bread

duntmatter
    Free Member

Salt first, then Sarsons to wash through the “stack”.

Anything else borders on perversion.

+1

nickhart
    Free Member

i can’t believe i’ve just sat and read two pages of salt and vinegar or vinegar and salt.

hungry now, salt then vinegar for what it’s worth. mayo yes, ketchup no (what’s the difference ketchup/tom sauce) or when in the netherlands that peanut sauce they have.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I tried the salt-first-then-vinegar method tonight and I was instantly sick and had explosive diarrhea, thus my point is proved, vinegar first, salt second!

mogrim

Salt, then vinegar. Only child abusers and rapists and fixie riders would do it the other way round.

colournoise

salt
    then vinegar
    then more salt + black pepper
    then dunk into what chippies laughably call “Curry Sauce”

(unless of course inserting into chip butty when lashings of Ketchup need to be applied).

slainte 😀 rob

Kevevs
    Free Member

salt first, then the vinegar.
    There’s a local chippy/kebab shop that if you just say “chips please” they go “you want pitta and cheese with that?” like it’s normal! Then you go “ahh what the hell, go on..” and the mayo and ketchup is a free squeezey, so it can get a bit messy.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Noooooooo! I NEEEEEEEEEEED chips now.

Northwind

I hadn’t realised it was so complicated. I’m glad I don’t like vinegar, it’s much easier when you only have to decide whether it’s salt first then chips, or chips first then salt.

Been said before, but…….

Salt, vinegar, salt – anything else is for losers.

Any bacon based snack has to be adorned with HP.

The end!

Kevevs
    Free Member

you don’t dip pork scratchings in Hp ya freak. oh, you’ll be saying pork scratchings aren’t a “bacon based snack” next won’t ya? I’ve got your number…

AlasdairMc

Only one person so far has mentioned salt and sauce, the choice of kings. Chippy sauce is exclusively an Edinburgh thing (I believe) and trounces any other condiment choice. I personally dislike brown sauce, but once diluted with vinegar it’s a recipe for success.

The only quantity to use is “plenty”.

I said bacon, not pig freak boy. Scratchings need no condiment, but would still be good doused in HP…..

Edric64
    Free Member

Cheesy chips and gravy? the dirty northern basxxxds

Kevevs
    Free Member

Pork Scratchings are a Bacon based Snack are they not? admit that Pork scratchings are a bacon based snack! or retract your unfounded pig freak boy statement.

ohh.. I’m going to bed…..

I didn’t call you a pig freak boy, just a freak boy – read it again.

I see you edited your post too – scratchings as exquisite as they may be are pig based, not bacon. Same animal, different delicacy…..

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’ll accept freak boy 🙂 I’ve thought about it, and pork scratchings don’t actually contain any muscle fibre, just loads of fat and skin and hair. I would be seriously miffed if I got some bacon that had no muscle fibre in it. So ok, you’ve won this one. they’re genuine pork, as they’re not cured prior to roasting! But I still reckon most people would agree that pork scratchings are a “bacon based snack” despite the bloody “facts”.

grum
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned chip spice yet. I’ve only ever seen it in Hull, but it’s in pretty much every chippy there.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Vinegar Strokes’ is closed to new replies.