Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Vince Cable – New LD leader
  • mrlebowski
    Free Member

Could not agree les

So why don’t you respect the 1975 referendum?

Surely going against that is anti-democratic & against the will of the people?

Surely you’re the one whose dissenting & should shut up & accept the result?

cranberry
    Free Member

I do heartily look forward to the referendum of 2057.

Which if doesn’t go your way you’ll happily & quietly accept?

If my side do not convince the majority of voters then yes, I would accept the result. That is democracy.

As opposed to the entitlement tantrums we have seen from so many people in the last year.

cranberry
    Free Member

cranberry » Given that RM Is currently trading below £4, the idea that Uncle Vince sold it fr half price is rather fanciiful and at odds with the truth!!

Are you sure that I wrote that ?

zippykona

If a referendum was held on whether to stop people cycling on bridleways (which would easily get more than 52%) would we sit back and accept it?
    If we had a referendum on chopping thieves hands off which once again would easily pass, would you be a bit upset but bow to the demands of the people?
    Would you allow fracking and tearing up the green belt because even though we didn’t mention it that was also part of the referendum question?
    This government is staging a coup. They have a list of people to hate and unless you are a fat obnoxious golfer YOU are on it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

No, but you might reply!!!

Looking at the RM price now – £3.97 versus what I am told ^ value at >£7 (stupidly I knocked mine out just below £6)

Must be a bargain despite trading on 10x at these levels!!!! Or perhaps not!!! Actually at these levels a 6% yield might be worth a punt.

I hope all those who claim that Uncle Vince sold it off fo a silly price bought the shares at he time – not often the gov gives money away is it!!! And it was obvious…..

5thElefant
    Free Member

If a referendum was held on whether to stop people cycling on bridleways (which would easily get more than 52%) would we sit back and accept it?
    If we had a referendum on chopping thieves hands off which once again would easily pass, would you be a bit upset but bow to the demands of the people?
    Would you allow fracking and tearing up the green belt because even though we didn’t mention it that was also part of the referendum question?

I really don’t want to pay tax. I do though. That’s the trouble with living in a democracy.

This government is staging a coup. They have a list of people to hate and unless you are a fat obnoxious golfer YOU are on it.

Err, no. You’re the one who is calling for a totalitarian dictatorship.

Cougar

If my side do not convince the majority of voters then yes, I would accept the result. That is democracy.

No, it’s Idiocy.

As opposed to the entitlement tantrums we have seen from so many people in the last year.

I’m loving this Leaver version of Democracy which includes attempting to silence those who disagree with you.

convert

I’m really struggling to understand the froth of the Jamba types on the LDs and Cable in particular continuing to object to Brexit. In the referendum 48% of the populous voted to stay. 48%. It is absolutely right that that 48% have a representation and a voice in Parliament and beyond. When we have a general election and one party wins based on a manifesto of beliefs and proposals do all the other parties and MPs elected on different beliefs suddenly say ‘well the country has spoken, my beliefs are now null and void and I will now adopt the policies of the ruling party as the people have spoken and therefore they must be correct’? Do they bollocks. They continue to argue for what they believe in and what those that voted for them believe in. If we are looking for hypocrites and anti-democratic politicians we should be looking at the swathes of tory MPs that campaigned against leaving the EU yet are prepared to be a minister in a government that is doing the opposite. They should have at least resigned their ministerial position if not as an MP too. Especially pertinent if they are representing a constituency that voted remain.

And that’s before we get on to the pretty clear case that the referendum was fought on some very dumbed down, simplified and ultimately inaccurate arguments on both sides. The British public are a year older and wiser about the complexity and implications of the the brexit conundrum and will get increasingly so over the next 18 months. Anyone who thinks a 2nd referendum of exactly the same members of the population in June 2018 would have an identical result as June 2016 is either deluded or lying to themselves.

ferrals
    Free Member

Back on topic, I like Vince Cable and I’m pleased he’s lib dem leader. He speaks well and (seems) to give considered opinions. Whether or not you like the lib dems, he seems to me significantly better than Farron. He certainly has a more statesmanlike demeanor than our petulant leader.

convert

Back on topic, I like Vince Cable and I’m pleased he’s lib dem leader. He speaks well and (seems) to give considered opinions. Whether or not you like the lib dems, he seems to me significantly better than Farron. He certainly has a more statesmanlike demeanor than our petulant leader.

Hear, hear.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

As a remainer, I support the LD overall view. However, in terms of the democracy debate, they cannot avoid the fact that (1) they/we lost the referendum (2) in the GE, they put our a differentiated stance (albeit watered down in the end) to the two main parties who both advocated respecting the result of the referendum, and the results are clear.

So yes they have a stance, but its a minority one – remind us how democracy works??

slowoldman

So yes they have a stance, but its a minority one – remind us how democracy works??

Erm, minorities have a voice?

ferrals
    Free Member

All the more ‘kudos’ to the lib dems to sticking to the remain stance when they are not winning seats by it. They were badly burned by the coalition compromsies/backtracking but they are showing they have just as much if not more integrity as other parties

Cougar

They have a stance, but its a minority one, representing a majority of the electorate – remind us how democracy works??

hatter

So yes they have a stance, but its a minority one

For now….

Give it another 18 months of bad news from the negotiations and a tanking economy and we’ll see where we are.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Vince Cable – New LD leader’ is closed to new replies.