Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Viking Challenge
  • colournoise

Doing the 50km tomorrow.

After today’s rain should be fun with a Captain on the front and a Slaughter on the back of the hardtail…

Anyone else tackling Belvoir tomorrow?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yes,
    I will be there.
    Done it a few times so use to the mud!
    Thanks,
    Max

colournoise

I ride Wakerley Woods as my local trails, so a bit of mud is not new for me either!

Just can’t be arsed to faff around now swapping tyres…

jimbobo
    Free Member

I grew up in Redmile. The clay mud in the wet is brutal and sticky. run thin tyres!

nixie

So muddy when we did it. Good day out though.

colournoise

Was quite muddy in places today, but not as bad as I actually expected.

bigmick25
    Free Member

First time for me, and it will probably be my last.
    Not much of a MTB challenge given that I covered the 50K in 2hrs 33mins with an average speed of over 13 m/hr.
    Its a well organised event but as far as difficulty I guess I’m spoilt with my usual riding in Wales and the Peaks.
    Ride was mainly canal towpaths bridleways ,lanes,an old airfield and a couple of ploughed fields, so would be good for inexperienced riders or as a training run but for me it wasn’t really worth the 1hr and half drive each way.

colournoise

bigmick25 – Member
    First time for me, and it will probably be my last.
    Not much of a MTB challenge given that I covered the 50K in 2hrs 33mins with an average speed of over 13 m/hr.
    Its a well organised event but as far as difficulty I guess I’m spoilt with my usual riding in Wales and the Peaks.
    Ride was mainly canal towpaths bridleways ,lanes,an old airfield and a couple of ploughed fields, so would be good for inexperienced riders or as a training run but for me it wasn’t really worth the 1hr and half drive each way.

Fair enough. It’s only 1/2 hour drive for us and it’s organised by an ex-member of our club so it seemed churlish not to pay up for charity and ride.

As you say though, not technically challenging for regular MTBers (a pretty fair reflection of what MTBing in the East Midlands is like though), although the spread of ability (and machinery) on display was quite wide! Quite a few riders getting off and walking at the first sight of any mud or ruts, even on level ground. Heard one old guy “never seen mud like it!” – round our local woods it’s wetter and stickier than that in the height of summer…

Have to agree though, the organisation was spot on, and first event I’ve done with ‘compulsory’ stops for free cake, chocolate and pork pies. The spiced parsnip, apple and maple soup at the finish was awesome too.

MoreCashThanDash

It’s an amazing event, has raised loads for charity over the years. Never seen it billed as an enduro event though, what were you expecting round there? 😉

Really ought to do it again, the feedstops are awesome.

jekkyl

is it any of it through private land? I saw some strava friends done it and fancy having a go at the route one day.

colournoise

Not sure. Would need to check Strava against OS. Think at least some of the route is on the classic Belvoir Loop XC circuit?

MoreCashThanDash

It’s a few years since I last rode it but as I recall the route then did go over private land in a couple of places. See how far you get before you get peppered with shotgun pellets and report back? 😉

Sandwich

Opens thread and is disappointed at the lack of stationery related news and contributions from CaptainFlasheart.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Viking Challenge’ is closed to new replies.