Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)
  • Views on orange 5
  • loco_pollo
    Free Member

36s on a five is a pretty common configuration – it works well. Why would you advise against it?

oxnop
    Free Member

Love the talas 36's on mine. Wouldn't change them for anything else.

hora
    Free Member

If I find a Blur 4x- I'm selling my OrangeFive. No doubt.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chunkypaul
    Free Member

Dirtynap – Member
    Not sure why you would want to fit 36;s to one, you should be looking at the alpine 160 for that. I'd go with 32 Talas 150's and save almost 2lb in weight.

my 2007 Five is built around a 150mm fork and warrantied for a 160mm, i'm currently running pikes on it and have no need for the U-turn feature – i definitely want to run 36's on mine

If I find a Blur 4x- I'm selling my OrangeFive. No doubt

a completely irrelevant point to this thread…

hora
    Free Member

If I find a Blur 4x- I'm selling my OrangeFive. No doubt
    a completely irrelevant point to this thread…

Shrugs. Theres a relevance in the sentance I posted.

Northwind

Loco Pollo wrote, "I can honestly say (for the first time in ~15 years of riding bikes) that I only need one bike, and that I'm perfectly happy with my bike."

Yep, but… Chances are you'd be able to say the same about a Zesty 514, or a nicely specced Pitch, or a Heckler, or a Hemlock, or any number of other bikes. The question becomes not "is it brilliant" any more because so many bikes are, it becomes "Is it brilliantest?" Is it? Haven't a clue 😉

grantway
    Free Member

Ok or not you ethier like or not like the design of the 5

But you have to look deeper at the design and build of the
    5 frame, forget the susspension of the bike.

The frame is manily built of folded aluminium and the creases are
    to disipate the vibration and also make the Bike stronger, but keeps the frame weight down.
    This is also included in the swing arm

Also now they have introduced the Reynolds aluminium top tube to take vibration and add comfort which as lead to a smaller down tube.

Ok for a Laugh may look like its an RSJ, made in Garage etc
    but all jokes a side
    This is one dam rock solid trail bike that you can make into many disguises from XC through to Trail and Enduro riding and I have not found its limit.

Orange says the frame can take upto 4 ft drops easy.
    Then think of this bike can be around 28lbs and take so much crap
    All the Other top Trail bikes are near or same weight but cannot take the abuse.
    Thats why its designed and looks the way it does. Bit like a Volvo

Susspension is a personal choice but for £ 15 quid and ten minutes of your time you have changed the bearings.

Dont know of any other designed trail bike to take so much Crap.

Regarding Rocks ?? think it will be hard for rocks to come up?
    But regarding deflection I would prefer flat being the object will deflect down.
    On a radius tube this will deflect left or right and that could be your foot,shin.knee.

Northwind

"The frame is manily built of folded aluminium and the creases are
    to disipate the vibration and also make the Bike stronger, but keeps the frame weight down. This is also included in the swing arm"

The creases are there as a byproduct of folding the sheet metal, it's not a design feature, it doesn't make the bike stronger, and it doesn't make the frame any lighter. They're not a good or bad thing, they're just a side-effect of the manufacturing process. You might as well say that the swarf on the factory floor is adding strength 😛

A 4 foot drop is absolutely nothing, my Soul can do 4 foot drops with its 0 inches of rear travel and skinny XC frame 😉 All of the top contender 5" trail bikes are built for this sort of thing. The 5 is strong, no doubt, but you have an odd opinion of the other bikes out there. Or maybe just of what it takes to really test a good quality bike.

grantway
    Free Member

Northwind
    Your saying the creases are a by product-a side effect LOL T-wat

Think you need to take a look at the Orange Bike web site and go onto
    press reviews and Look up Five MBR Review 2007 test report

It simply says I quote 2007 sees additional creasing to the swing Arm
    and Down Tube which adds stiffness.

Sadly Northwind when you looked up By-Product your Mum
    did'nt tell you, it is you!
    Or did she say Swarf 😆

This is why I said you need to look deeper at the design and build
    of the frame.

Could someone link the review to help others please

hora
    Free Member

Its abit harsh calling someone a ****. Even if its a robust discussion you'd dont call someone that. Come on.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Ignore him, he got hounded off bike radar for being too enthusiastic about his own bike and trollish as you like about all others.

Wait till he's had a few and posts in the evening! It's brilliant!

nickegg
    Free Member

I feel sorry for the person who just wanted views on a 5!

If nothing else these bikes create some very emotional and passionate responses!!

grantway
    Free Member

Firstlty use the Mag tests to get an idea whats out there and
    how they rate them.
    Then test and re test what your happy with.

With the new rear shocks now I personaly the bob is minimal
    But you also get three positions on the shock from smooth to hard.

I had spoken to Orange about the new RP23 Booster valve
    Orange say when you put the shock into MOJO for its year service
    let them know your weight and they will put the correct valve in for your weight
    And by doing this its as close to having your shock TF or Pushed Tuned
    The valve is around £ 12 pounds.

Head angle with the 140 fork its 67 degree
    I would say your 05 is a 150 fork travel so your head angle
    with this is around 66.5 degree approx

Northwind

"Think you need to take a look at the Orange Bike web site and go onto
    press reviews and Look up Five MBR Review 2007 test report"

Must be true if MBR said it :mrgreen: That's the same review where they say that moving weight towards the pivot of the swingarm reduces the unsprung weight, and says that a 5.5" bike is short travel? Certainly an impressive source, no doubt backed up by extensive testing of various folded sheet swingarms, and a structural engineer. Right? And even that review didn't say anything about creases reducing weight or vibration…

You're a neverending source of amusement, I do miss your Bikeradar posts…

orange
    Free Member

1. yes the reviews are good, the bike is a very good trail centre machine, but considerable cash is spend with the magazines on advertising, so read into this yourself

2. it is quite active if you run a lot of sag, not a problem with a pro-pedal or swinger shock, but its a 5.5inch FS'er and not a anthem, any bob i get doesn't bother me

3. i reckon around 66 to 66.5 for the 2010 frames, the geometry for the Five AM is on the webshite

4. about 30-31 lbs

i don't work for orange BTW but ride several different ones, ultimately you should test ride one, don't make an expensive purchase off the advice from a webshite…

grantway
    Free Member

LOl Swarf I simply highlighted what some how you thought was a by product

Regarding weight saving is what Orange had told me and I think
    would be pretty obvious well to some.
    If they did not crease the metal in those areas they would have to etheir
    reinforce in some areas or simply use thicker material.
    So by introducing the creaseing this has saved on weight

How the hell did you come to some what conlusion the creasing was a by product A side effect?

Northwind

It's very hard to understand what you're trying to say, would you mind putting it through babelfish or something so that it's in english?

Saving weight would only apply if the creases were adding strength, and since only that ridiculous MBR review mentions that, I think we can safely ignore it don't you? Oh, and still no comeback on vibration? Or on that matter the daft "4 foot drop" comment?

How did I come to the conclusion that the creasing is a side effect? By working sheet metal and seeing what it does when you fold it in certain ways. The creasing is just a result of the fold- it's obvious you don't really understand what's involved, but you can recreate it with a sheet of paper, the result is the same. Bend the sheet into a curve, then try and fold it without having it crease.

GaryLake
    Free Member

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Presumably the folded sheet metal down tube started when hydroforming was uncommon if not unheard of? It was a distinctive look that achieved the required level of strength for the intended use of the bike, back whenever it was first conceived.

The frame has been refined over the years and presumably Orange could swap to a hydroformed or more swoopy down tube but then they would lose the whole distinctive look that makes the Orange 5 identifiable.

Northwind

Yup, it's a pretty clever way to make a frame, very adaptable, tubes are strong but limit the design a little. The folded swingarms in particular make a lot of sense, if you look to motorbikes you see extrusions, braces and plates, not a lot of tubes (and the tube ones are for looks, on Ducatis and retros) And it helps that Steve Wade had a sheet metal business not a tube business 😆

mikertroid
    Free Member

It's partly due to the fact that hydroforming is expensive And requires large amounts of tooling and can actually weaken areas with high levels of directional change in them. Orange is a small company compared to any of the mainstream brands.

The creases themselves won't strengthen the frame however the flat sections in between will add rigidity.

I was impressed by how little bob there was in pp on mine and how well it climbed, even with the stock tyres (now gone!) and with pp off it bobbed no more or less than my FSRs out of the saddle. Brake jack wasn't evident and it was great to ride.

It's a fine bike but if you're not taken by it's looks there are many nice designs out there that look more aesthetically pleasing.

hora
    Free Member

Just a couple of comments:

the bike is a very good trail centre machine

When ever I read that in a mag about any bike it leaves me utterly cold.

Someone mentioned Orange are probably pretty little-known outside of the UK. I actually like that. In France a few years back I saw a fair few foreign riders at the lift queue on bikes I'd never heard of. Makes it alittle bit more special I guess. 🙂

RHSno2
    Free Member

You do talk shit Hora. Absolute Shite.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Northwind, I'm on bike radar under a different name but have you got a link to that epic Orange thread that went on and on and our friend Grantway livened up so much?

hora
    Free Member

RHSno2 – Member

You do talk shit Hora. Absolute Shite.

I've met you on the NDowns- your quite nerdy/pastey looking arent you?

slowrider
    Free Member

Hora, i swapped my blur 4x for an 09 five with 36's.

i do miss the 4x as it was an absolutely class little bike. if you are 5'10" ish then it would probably be long enough in the top tube to get away with as an all dayer without having to run a long stem. at 6ft it was just a bit too short for me but more than made up for it on the fun stuff. that bike did more for my confidence and riding skills than any other. if i could afford to run 2 full sussers then id have kept the pair of them but if im honest the 5 is a better all rounder and just as capable in the rough stuff, maybe more so. my 5 is lighter than my 4x by a couple of pounds with a pretty similar build, the only main differences being forks (36 talas vs air pikes) and wheels (flow rims vs stupid heavy things).

hora
    Free Member

slowrider- I know, I had one for 14months. I sold it as I 'fancied a change' rather than not getting along with it. **** idiot 🙁

hora
    Free Member

GaryLake – Member
    Hora: OT, Your seatpost will be going out special delivery tomorrow, was waiting to see whether RM were going to strike or not before sending…

I paid you a week-last Wednesday by Paypal.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Hora, have you got the post, should be with you by 1pm (special delivery) or I can claim so let me know 😉

Northwind

GaryLake "Northwind, I'm on bike radar under a different name but have you got a link to that epic Orange thread that went on and on and our friend Grantway livened up so much?"

Nope, but all you have to do is search user: "Grantway" and word either "Meta" or LOLOLOL :mrgreen:

hora
    Free Member

Oh yes- got it ta and used. Was in a rush to set off.

Ps. Anyone fancy making me an offer on a 09 18" nearly new Five let me know. I'll offer it at 50% of what they cost. Or I'll do a deal for a Blur 4x.

maggsy99
    Free Member

hello
    interested in 5 what colour is it any pics and price….cheers

hora
    Free Member

Ping me a mail markhoracekuk@yahoo.com

Andy-W
    Free Member

Love my Five and if anything the only fault would be the low "ish" bottom bracket.

Artillerydave
    Free Member

The only fault with mine is that the bloke that rides it isn't very good! 😀

jwt
    Free Member

Regarding the 'folds' in sheet metal mentioned above,if you put shape into a flat sheet you will stiffen it, so a swage line will stiffen a panel without adding extra material, I assume that was what the post intended.
    For what its worth I really enjoy riding my 5, but I may look at longer forks to slacken the H/A at some point, and raise the BB slightly, got mine S/H, I think its 2005(?) metallic blue with straight top tube and manitou swinger?

mikertroid
    Free Member

Anyone know the seat clamp diameter required? The stock one is pretty shabby and isn't doing its job. Post is a 27.2mm Thompson. I'd have thought it was more than 28.9. Anyone know?

Tyres ditched in favour of a pair of maxxis; much better on the trail now.

Amazed at the climbing ability; I'm clearing sections I couldn't on my 120mm Stumpy!

slowrider
    Free Member

clamp is 31.8 i think

slowrider
    Free Member

no its not, that my other bike! 28.6?

4ndyB
    Free Member

Orange 5 seatpost clamp is 31.8

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Views on orange 5’ is closed to new replies.