Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • views on horses being ridden 2 a breast
  • milkyman
    Free Member

Just been out in my van going a long a busy A road speed limit is 40mph, there are 2 horses being ridden 2 abreast in the distance taking up about 3/4 of my side of the road, any way pass them going as far over to the right as I could without scrapping my van on the hedge row and the woman went bonkers, I was doing 25mph when I went past, now my van does rattle a fair bit especially on an un even road surface so I can understand that being an issue, but may be its just me some times I feel that they ride like this just to make a point,
    almost a little bit arrogant and rude, but that’s my thoughts
    would it of made a difference if they were in single file, I doubt it but just some how to me anyway looks a bit more courteous to other road users that your trying to be a bit more accommodating

milkyman
    Free Member

sorry for the double post

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s like doubling up forum posts 😉

fasthaggis

25mph = too fast 🙄

stevied
    Free Member

25 may have been a bit quick. I’ll normally do about 10-15mph and go as wide as possible (which it sounds like you did). At that speed you can check if they’re a ‘fitty’ or not..
    2 abreast is asking for trouble but it may be that the inside horse isn’t used to roads and the outer one was being ridden to ‘protect’ it?

theflatboy
    Free Member

This is a parody thread, right?

mrmo
    Free Member

you went past a couple of horses at 25mph! plenty of reasons why that is so wrong.

Lets start with you are only allowed to drive on licence, you have no right to be on the road.
    Would you rather try and pass two horses length wise, say c20feet long or one horse length wise c7feet?
    Which is the safer overtake?
    Maybe the horse on the inside was a young horse being schooled and accoustomed to traffic?

I really do get so depressed at the attitude of drivers!

annebr
    Free Member

you went past too fast and if you’d given them the chance and trailed behind them for a little they may have moved to single file.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Blooming hell Milkyman

You’ve got one fast milk cart there buddy

Is your real name Ernie?

😆

scotroutes

neigh chance!

milkyman
    Free Member

plenty of reasons why that is so wrong.

would that be wrong, or sooo wrong

dashed
    Free Member

Start up a tweeter group called @horsehatred?

You passed too fast. Way too fast.

Depressing thread 👿

milkyman
    Free Member

will go slower next time, as it happens the car in front of me was going the same speed, not that that makes it right

ell_tell
    Free Member

Perhaps hoofing it past at 25mph irked them somewhat?

milkyman
    Free Member

nay, I didn’t think it was that bad

fasthaggis

A key part of being a good road user is being able to judge things properly.

Is it safe to pass?
    Yes = don’t horse around ,get on with it

Is it safe to pass?
    No = rein in your impatience and wait till it is safe then.

milkyman
    Free Member

I will go slower in future, it was very safe to over take and I wasn’t being impatient, was safe to over take so I did, I can see how ever that it would annoy some people, same way you see cyclist riding 3 a breast on roads

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Depressing thread

A horse walks into a pub and asks for “a beer please”. “Sure” says the barman, “but whats with the long face?”

A bear walks into a pub and asks for “a….. beer….. please”. “Sure” says the barman, “but what’s with the big paws?”

A skeleton walks into pub and asks for “a beer and a mop please”

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Horse goes into a bar……. bar tender says why the long face?

Sorry couldn’t resist, just horsing around.

Edit looks like ro5ey beat me to it.

bails

Did you go past so quickly because they were two abreast?

Or in other words, if they were single file would you have gone past properly (slowly)?

br
    Free Member

I regularly pass a pair of horses (stud near us) on my school run. Its a hilly 60mph road and they always go side-by-side.

Seems safest way to me.

Sancho
    Free Member

my view is that it would be quite weird seeing two horses being ridden to a breast.
    though slightly arousing.

officialtob
    Free Member

Have to love a bit of horse canter… err I mean banter. Sorry that was lame.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I read ‘horses’ and ‘2 breasts’ in the title and quickly clicked to see pics of my favourite jodphur-clad middle-England residents in a state of undress.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement.

milkyman
    Free Member

Or in other words, if they were single file would you have gone past properly (slowly)?

Its your view I was doing something improper, like I said will go slower next time

milkyman
    Free Member

and beep the horn

jonba
    Free Member

taking up about 3/4 of my side of the road

their side of the road too.

times I feel that they ride like this just to make a point,

I believe that point is covered as rule no. 163 in the highway code

25mph is probably too if the road was that narrow that you couldn’t get past easily with two horses and a car.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

they can take up the whole of that side if they want, 2 wide longer to pass better view really….

Same as riding 3 wide take up the entire of the lane, the other drivers would have to leave that lane and use the other one to overtake safely anyway….

KonaTC

as far over to the right as I could without scrapping my van on the hedge row and the woman went bonkers, I was doing 25mph

Smile, wave and carry-on every category of road user has its…. 🙄

b45her
    Free Member

never been a fan of horses on roads full stop, especially when 1 1/2 tons of meat with a mind of its own is being controlled by a 12 child.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bit of a tough audience today.
    The OP comes along, asks what he did wrong, gets the answer, agrees that he will pass slower next time. Still gets abuse for doing it. 🙄
    FFS give him some slack.

maycontainnuts

Shouldn’t you beep your horn a few times when you come up behind them, you know, like ringing your bell on your bike? 😉

antigee

FFS give him a some slack. smack

for trolling

a busy A road speed limit is 40mph, there are 2 horses being ridden 2 abreast in the distance taking up about 3/4 of my side of the road, any way pass them going as far over to the right as I could without scrapping my van on the hedge row

A road not wide enough without scraping hedge?

jonba
    Free Member

b45her – Member
    never been a fan of horses on roads full stop, especially when 1 1/2 tons of meat with a mind of its own is being controlled by a 12 child.

To be honest cars aren’t much better…

wrecker
    Free Member

OP needs to think on the hoof a little better and stop tailing horses. Was it a mane road?

milkyman
    Free Member

bigyinn

most of us know what were getting into when you post on here, but I appreciate your support, I will slow down in future,

I did used to have a hore and rode it on the road quite a lot, but wouldn’t dream of rideing 2 abreast

milkyman
    Free Member

always use the spell checker, I had a HORSE, not a HORE

sorry

TooTall
    Free Member

Is this the first time you have ever encountered horses on the road whilst driving?

milkyman
    Free Member

no,

milkyman
    Free Member

last year on the same stretch of road a horse was killed and driver of car and rider of horse were very badly injured, I do not know how fast the car driver was going to be honest, but from what I heard the horse was known for being easily spooked

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘views on horses being ridden 2 a breast’ is closed to new replies.