Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Viewranger sucks. Best offline GPX / OS map route editor?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I have persevered with Viewranger, but whilst trying to edit a 260 mile ride across Wales I have come to the conclusion that the app is not designed for large route editing.

Is there an offline app out there which is able to handle large scale editing. For example, I want an app that provides the following.

1) Can select 2 way points and then delete all points between selected points
    2) Not suffer with awful performance issues the more points you delete

Being a software dev i thought about writing said app, but then remembered I no longer enjoy writing code!

scotroutes

Basecamp

Kunstler

I love viewranger on my phone but don’t use it to plot or edit routes. For that I use either GPSies or the new Bike Route Toaster (which lets you edit sections much easier and can add on the beginning or end of a route). But those are both online.
    I’d still like an offline app that I can load every ride I’ve done in the last four years and see what the map looks like. I’m having a look at Basecamp. Can it do this?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Basecamp

xora

Locus

scotroutes

I’ve switched off the map layer but I reckon you can work it out…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rwRYG7]BC_Lo[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

At a more local/zoomed in level…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rPgnXg]BC_Mid[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Kunstler

Yeah, that’s it. I wonder how long it takes to load 1130 gpx files?

scotroutes

Why would you want to? I tend to only load files if I’ve been on a track/road/path I’ve not been on before. That way I can use these bits to make other routes. Having said that, I’ve just checked and there are 512 routes/tracks currently in the database ( and it loads in four seconds). That’ll be mostly historical stuff, but also any routes I’m planning or have downloaded from somewhere.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Viewranger sucks. Best offline GPX / OS map route editor?’ is closed to new replies.