Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Viewranger – Outdoorsy type mapping app avialable on Nokia Ovi
  • Sidney
    Free Member

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a little discovery I made today – Viewranger is available on Nokias Ovi.

I've downloaded it to my phone and will try it out soon in anger but from playing around with it i'm impressed. Compared to sportstracker the maps are more detailed, showing footpaths, bridleways etc. There are quite a few mapping sources available to like opencycle maps and openwalking maps. These are on a free trial to start with.

Hopefully it will be useful to someone!

Andy-W
    Free Member

Cheers Sidney you could have just saved me the cost of a garmin !!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Had viewranger for 3 years now, it's ruddy bruddy great.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

cool, thanks

Sidney
    Free Member

AW – Glad to be of service. I should charge commission!

disco_stu
    Free Member

cool, thanks for the headsup. just checking out opencyclemap as well, it looks really useful and it can only get better

firestarter
    Free Member

what do you get for your purchase at the ovi store ? is it just the software then you buy the maps or do you get maps too.

just i got it on my nokia ages ago but was thinking it may drop in price with the new os mapping rules

Sidney
    Free Member

I think you have access to the open source cycle and street maps. Ordanance survey maps are an optional extra. I think there is a free trial for the OS side of things but I haven't fully worked it out yet.

firestarter
    Free Member

is it any different to the access to open source cycle maps you get when you look at it in the browser ? ie is it a saved map to view or something. cheers

Sidney
    Free Member

If by browser you mean your nokias web browser then it is different. The maps are viewed in the viewranger software and tie in with the gps for location etc. I think the viewranger downloads the mapping data as you go – there is an option to view offline but I don't know how wide an area this covers.

firestarter
    Free Member

ah a bit different from the download i have then thanks. mick

muggomagic

Had viewranger for many years and it's great. Waiting for the iphone version to come out so I don't have to take my old nokia out on a ride any longer.

firestarter
    Free Member

right chaps ive a problem now. i just went to use my ovi maps for sat nav and it no longer works. is yours all alright

since i last used it all ive done is update to the latest software on the phone and install viewranger so its gotta be one of the two

i open the maps and it just crashes and turns the phone off

any ideas anyone elses now not right

ta

duckers
    Free Member

Can I download the opencycle maps data to the phone? Just so I dont have to download it all on the move and risk the chance of having no internet connection available in the wilderness and not being able to get a map..

Lifer
    Free Member

Yeah I think you can buy map packs from their website and download them to the phone at home.

duckers
    Free Member

I know you can buy maps from viewranger but I thought it might be possible to download and cache the opencycle and openstreet data.

firestarter
    Free Member

yes you can mate ive just tried it dunno how much it will save but its a fair area 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Viewranger – Outdoorsy type mapping app avialable on Nokia Ovi’ is closed to new replies.