Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Viewranger App (android)
  • bigh
    Free Member

I don’t know when they updated this but blimey, it’s way better than it was and beats the other premium options available IMO
    Fairly pointless post really but just a heads up if you’re looking for a mapping solution.

riddoch

And you can just buy the areas you need, use them on a couple of devices and transfer to a new one if needed.

matt_outandabout

We use it all the time – and yes, it is great. I downloaded all the Speyside, Moray, Black Isle and monadhliath area maps before holiday, then used it for nav and tracking. No data used, you can switch the tracking down to every few mins instead of every other second to prolong battery.

matt_outandabout

Buy? Why would you pay? edit: The some maps are free.

chum3
    Free Member

Open Cycle Maps is free, so either zoom into the area you’re interested in to cache it, or save the map tiles down as an offline map.

I use my phone all the time for nav on the bike, mounted on the stem, and with wifi and mobile data switched off, get more than enough hours out of it (ie after 6 hours, still have 30%-40% battery).

Just need to use it as you would a paper map – ie check it every so often, rather than using it as a proxy for turn by turn nav. It’s the screen which uses most of the battery normally, so as long as you set it up to switch off after 30 seconds, job’s a good-un.

If I’m even the slightest bit worried about battery life, can turn on aeroplane mode but still maintain GPS reception. GPS on it’s own drains battery very little in my experience.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I only use OS 1:25k, so far too expensive for my tastes. Backcountry Navigator for me, may not be as slick, but much much cheaper

tomd
    Free Member

It is very good. Even the in app route planning and downloads works well.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I use it a lot, with the free Open Cycle Maps and am often in awe of how good it is. Both here in the U.K. and across Europe. Also use maps.me which is free and the maps are downloadable – this is great for if you turn up in a new town and want to search for a supermarket or such like.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Viewranger App (android)’ is closed to new replies.