Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Viewing a house – what to check
  • bikemonkey
    Free Member

We're going to look at a house tomorrow. Other than the obvious (cracks, damp, blood stains) what else should we look out for?

ojom
    Free Member

the magic feeling when you realise that you could be very happy there.

nuke

I wouldn't worry too much about cracks, damp etc as that what second visits and surveys are for. I'd just see if its got that cliched 'Wow' factor…we've always just known when we've found the right house as my wife and I walk out of the viewing with silly grins.

scraprider
    Free Member

1 = how many bikes can you get in the shed
    2 = local area for them nice sunny evening rides
    3 = distance to pub
    4 = secure bike storage / parking.

theotherjonv

It's so subjective. I really didn't like my current house on first viewing but my wife was grinning ear to ear and talked me into it.

It needed a tonne of work which is what i guess put me off – only ever lived in new or nearly new before – but now 7 years on I'm so glad she could see past the decay and neglect.

So for me it's not what to look for, it's what to take – an open mind.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

We're doing exactly the same at the moment and I had a similar thread when we started Check it out here – there's some good stuff on there.

Oh! And good luck 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

traffic – go several times, at different times of day, before you view, to check the traffic levels

neighbours & noise; is there an airport nearby?

nearby park/offie/pub combination – if there is one, that's where the scrotes will hang out. if it has a "no ball games" sign you can guarantee that's exactly what they'll do. Usually involving slamming a ball against a wall as hard and as frequently as possible for as long as possible

dogs

if all that doesn't put you off, check which way is south, and is it in the shade of a great leylandii hedge and/or skyscraper

if you have kids, where's the nearest school – preferably within "leave the mum-wagon at home" distance

Play around with car & home insurance quotes based on your current & proposed new postcode – if either goes up significantly, why?
    Check http://www.upmystreet.com to see what they think of the area

how near is the nearest newsagent/convenience shop/post office/pub/takeaway etc? You don't want to have to get in the car just to fetch a pint of milk, do you?

btbb
    Free Member

Neighbours! Bad ones can ruin the home experience – did for me twice. 😥

freeform5spot
    Free Member

boiler.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Viewing a house – what to check’ is closed to new replies.