Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • videos of carbon fibre frame manufacture
  • brakes
    Free Member

Hi, anyone know of any good videos showing modern carbon frame manufacture?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Any particular industry and, in particular, process?

brant
    Free Member

I'm just uploading a vid of our carbon bars being made. It's kind of similar.

wonnyj
    Free Member

My guess is that when he said "frames" he was referring to bicycles.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Ah, yes 😳

Process is still the important bit – pre-preg/filament wound/RTM/etc

brakes
    Free Member

I know nothing about it, I'm trying to get an appreciation of how they lay the carbon weave (if that's what they do) and how they shape it.
    interesting video Brant, but what's he doing?

rs
    Free Member

brant that looks like a shady little factory, I was hoping for super high tech clean room type setting 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Looks like the bars are made with pre-preg over a former, think I'd rather my bars were filament wound really.

brant
    Free Member

brant that looks like a shady little factory, I was hoping for super high tech clean room type setting

the clean room is next door. That's where all the layers are laid up into a "stack" – that sort of snakey bit – then put in the mold, heated, inflated and baked. That chap is fitting the laid up stack into the tool for cooking.

Looks like the bars are made with pre-preg over a former, think I'd rather my bars were filament wound really.

That's right. Different layers of UD pre-preg, stacked then heated etc. I don't know of any filament wound bars – I'm not sure how you'd do them or the benefits, but I will ask my mate on Monday.

Any other questions?

poppa
    Free Member

What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

mrchrispy

I reckon this is how they do it…

clicky

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

This is how the Chinese produce product. Little garages, sheds and rooms on back streets producing quality items because they have pride in what they do. We have a perception that unless you have a CNC machine and spotless workshop, product will be shoddy. Think again-the reality is very different.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘videos of carbon fibre frame manufacture’ is closed to new replies.