• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by imn.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Video options for machine troubleshooting?
  • imn

This is perhaps a bit niche, but that’s what STW’s for, right?
    I’m looking for a way to capture video footage of an industrial machine to troubleshoot a problem. No special constraints: environment is indoors with easy access, some splashing by non-corrosive liquids possible. Would prefer HD resolution, 30 fps should suffice.

Initial thoughts are just to use a GoPro, but I’d like to hear if anyone has better ideas.

Hit me up!

eskay

Are you sure 30fps is fast enough? I have always needed more when trouble shooting machines.

The Panasonic TZ40 can shoot up to 240fps from memory, quite cheap for the performance. Stick it on a tripod and protect it with a piece of polycarbonate.

nickjb
    Free Member

SJ4000. See other thread. Like a go pro but £35. It only does 30fps so if you need more then you’ll need something else but for £35 its easy to try. Comes with a load of mounts.

Another option id an IP webcam. You can save the footage to another PC on the network or watch it live. We used to do that with our old CNC router. Cuts used to take hours so you could see if it was nearly done by watching a window in the corner of your screen

cnud
    Free Member

I just use my phone nowadays it films at 240fps and is perfectly ok on high speed packing machinery. Good light is the key

imn

Thanks for the ideas – I’ll check them out; that SJ4000 looks very tempting! We have IP webcams elsewhere, and they’re good for overview, but IME lack detail and high enough refresh rate.
    Whilst frame rates above 30fps would be nice I remember from previous use of a high speed cam that lighting becomes more critical. I plan to start simple and adapt if results aren’t sufficient.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Video options for machine troubleshooting?’ is closed to new replies.