Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Video of "The Runway" at Carron Valley
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

Video of The Runway

I took my Go-Pro Wide and chest mount to Carron Valley this morning and filmed myself mincing down The Runway. It's a fun bit of trail with lots of little drop-offs and jumps, even for someone like me who prefers his wheels on the ground.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I like chest mount perspective vids. Thanks for that.

luked2
    Free Member

Sorry to sound negative. This is a genuine question. I'm puzzled as to what the point of that trail is.

It just seems to be terribly flat and uninteresting.

It looks like I could ride it quite happily on my wife's bike (a heavy ungainly 700c pig-iron lumpen piece of nastiness) and not feel under-biked.

What am I missing? Is it a lot more exciting in the flesh?

epicsteve
    Free Member

It's actually quite steep in places, but it doesn't come through as much in the video. There are also quite a few little drop-offs, some onto steeply downhill landings, that the camera angle also doesn't show well.

It's actually supposed to be a freeride/jump trail but I'm not up to the job of jumping the table-tops etc.

grumm
    Free Member

It looks like I could ride it quite happily on my wife's bike (a heavy ungainly 700c pig-iron lumpen piece of nastiness) and not feel under-biked.

:yawn:

Nice video, looks like they have done some good work up there – will be up that way in a few weeks hopefully and can try it out.

epicsteve
    Free Member

If he does want to ride it on his wife's 700c bike I'll be happy to follow with the video camera on… 😉

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I used to enjoy that trail for a local spin but it's been sanitized too far…shame. Think I will get that camera for the mega this year though as it's pretty good quality 🙂

alexxx
    Free Member

looks sweet if those jumps have a good take off? hard to see in videos!

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

What am I missing? Is it a lot more exciting in the flesh?

Trails are always more exciting 'in the flesh'. Or do you do all your cycling on youtube? Why not go and try it and see if you like it?

I quite like the Runway. It's mostly fast but there is a slow bit in the middle. Some of the corners are brilliant and it's a good trail for practising jumps in central Scotland.

Woody
    Free Member

That looks nice and flowing, if a little 'motorway' but that's probably the just the camera. I'm sure it's fun when you are actually there but it seems a shame to have cut what looks like a huge gap through the trees rather than integrating them into the trail. To get some perspective, what sort of speed were you travelling at?

Are there other trails through the trees?

Woody
    Free Member

Had a look at the CV website and it looks good. Pic below shows how much the vid flattens the trail and how much hard work has gone into building it.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

There are a couple more trails. 'Eas Dhu' and 'Cannonball run' but I'm not keen on them. They don't flow very well but they do go through the trees more. 'Pipe Dream' is the ascent and it's quite nice going up through the trees with switchbacks and has some small descents on it. The trails have been smoothed out a lot recently and the infamous 'Kelpies Staircase' doesn't really exist anymore. I'd say Carron Valley's worth a visit if your in the area but it's tricky to get to.

epicsteve
    Free Member

To get some perspective, what sort of speed were you travelling at?

I didn't have the GPS tracking switched on this time, however last weekend I did and it says I hit 27mph at some point.

The current Carron Valley trails are quite short (well under an hour to do the loop) but other than the runway the singletrack is mostly in the trees. This is a vid taken last weekend on the very top part of the trail (using a helmet mount this time):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8nLGrNhPxU

toys19
    Free Member

Looks nice, great vid.

druidh
    Free Member

Nice video Steve. Reminds me that I've only once been to CV and it was mostly closed. I must make more of an effort!

bigG
    Free Member

Nice vid, I do like the Carron Valley trails, but I have to admit they're not the most technically challenging. It is shed loads of fun on a cross bike though!

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Nice towpath 😉

simonralli2
    Free Member

I think that is a great video and from a good perspective. I am sure some of those jumps are bigger than they look, but the footage was nice and smooth. That looks like the sort of trail I would like to have a go at, assuming that the jumps are not too big!

My only comment is that sound would have been good, unless something went wrong with my laptop and there was sound?

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Nice video – CV's looking good. Was there earlier in the year and couldn't see much for the heavy rain 🙁

I think the runway is great fun – it certainly is a lot steeper and faster than it looks on video.

swiss01
    Free Member

ride it on your wife's bike? i too would like to see that. i'm betting you won't look like this

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/video-amazing-stunt-riding-on-a-carbon-road-bike-26614

i feel it's likely that martyn ashton is some sort of vortex who's absorbed all the skills i should've had….

GregMay
    Free Member

That is the dullest trail i have ever seen.

Do it on a CX bike to make it even slightly fun

luked2
    Free Member

If people enjoy riding it, I guess that's all that matters.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Nice video … is that what 'trail centres' are like, never been to one but hear a lot about them, is this typical, and are the trails through the trees done in a similar way or more natural?

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Most are like that, some used to be more 'natural' but are being sanitised bit by bit

Whyte1
    Free Member

Here in N Wales they are far more natural looking and ride as so – sorry apart from Llandegla . Very clear vid well shot but the trail looked like there should be kirb stones running down one side and small walls and gates on the other 😕

Edric64
    Free Member

It looks like a gravel fire road surface.If trail centres are like that give me real mountain biking in the hills any days .Are slick tyres the tyres of choice at places like this?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I think the runway is deliberately designed to be different from the norm – the rest of the trails there are substantially under the trees with mostly rougher surfaces. Not sure if that makes them "more natural" or not, but certain as far as Carron Valley goes they're not as much fun as the runway is. I think the smooth surface is also deliberate, probably to give more confidence on the jumps. There are some pretty steep sections on the trail, and some big berms etc – although it doesn't come through in the video.

I don't do much trail centre riding (only really Glentress and I haven't even been there in years) so don't have a lot to compare it with but personally I enjoyed it. It could certainly be ridden on a CX bike and would probably be good fun if sketchy in places – when I had a CX bike I didn't do any drops or jumps though so wouldn't know how well it'd behave on them. I'll be happy to come along and film any such attempts.

All I can say is that riding it I found that bit of trail very far from dull although the Carron Valley trail centre as a whole doesn't really have enough to justify the trip.

Any suggestions on other camera angles to use to try and show the strengths of that type of trail? Helment mounted I find tends to look even smoother and slower so perhaps bike mounted? On the seatstay looking forward maybe?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Are slick tyres the tyres of choice at places like this?

As dry as it is currently I'd have ridden it in slicks if I had to (actually had 2.35 Eskars on though), but then I've ridden lots of "natural" trails in slicks in the dry as well, including on a road bike with 700c x 23 on occasion.

sniff
    Free Member

Nice vids Steve. The Runway let's people of different abilities to do it – you can do it as slow and safe as you want or you can move up through the different sized jumps. A great idea given the amount of kids/families that it attracts.

If you tried to progress on some of the jumps and therefore a bit faster then the video might look a bit more like you want. Not saying I'm any better but use the different sized jump options to push your riding a bit.

MartynS

I'm surprised there isn't a moto services half way down that…

epicsteve
    Free Member

If you tried to progress on some of the jumps and therefore a bit faster then the video might look a bit more like you want

Or more likely it'd end up including a visit from the rescue helicopter…!

bigG
    Free Member

I do it all on my CX bike (including the drops) and have never had any problems, yes the runway is smooth but it flows nicely. The trails in the trees are all a bit rougher / more cut up but still not too bad.

If nothing else this thread has got me in the mood for some CV / CX action, I'm off out.

I'm glad the trails don't still look like this….

craig1975
    Free Member

luked2 – Member
    Sorry to sound negative. This is a genuine question. I'm puzzled as to what the point of that trail is.

sorry to point out the obvious.. but it's a BIKE trail.. so the point is.. you take a bike and ride on it.. 😉

for thoughs who think that particular section has been sanitized then I reckon you ain't hitting the trail hard enough… so go faster.. you'll soon find out how easy it is then.. but if your a freeride or downhill god.. then the question is ?? why are you even there ?? and not on some mental sketchy trail some ware.. where most of us mere mortals can only dream about riding 😀

I was up there yesterday and the jumps and small drop offs are much fun and to add to it the the trails where very dry and dusty which added another element.. yea the video's.. as always never does a place justice, but it's an excellent wee trail, the only downside to the place is that it's just to short.. yea maby they have killed the original kelppies stair.. but the new jump before it can be a bit of a challenge if your hitting it fast enough..

I like carron valley, it's a short drive outside Glasgow. I get to practice some jumps and the climb is big enough to get the blood pumping.. it is what it is.. It caters fot all ability's.. you can take it easy or try and hit the trail as fast as you can dare..

BTW Steve cool video

here's another video of the place
    Carron Valley

bigG
    Free Member

Well I headed up this afternoon and I can confirm that CV is still officially a hoot on a cross bike. Trails are in great nick (a bit easier than the pic i published earlier) and as it's only 8 miles from home I had the pleasure of riding there & back.

if you've not been up to CV you really should give it a go, don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Are you in the Denny area? I'm from Bonnybridge originally so one advantage of going to CV is I can combine it with a visit to relatives.

craig1975
    Free Member

I got talking to a couple of the workers there on Saturday, they are doing up some of the foot trails.. they where telling me they had to help a guy out on the runway on Friday.. apparently the dude hurt himself a bad one dislocated his shoulder.. the boys where also saying a young dude face planted on it last week.. they said the poor kid had to get skin grafts

but I'm not 100% if the above it true or not.. they may well have been trying to wind me up before i hit the descend 😆

but if true.. I wish them a speedy recovery

bigG
    Free Member

Steve, I'm in Head of Muir, a nice 8 mile spin along mostly back roads to CV. I've not partaken of the delights of Bonnybridge for a while (I ran out of brave pills).

Craig, there are regularly stories of epic wipeouts at CV, some true, some less so. Although I have witnessed a few sore ones, including the kid that ended up in the burn at the bottom of kelpie's staircase last summer, still clipped in.

Regardless of the negative comments there are plenty of places to get into a sticky situation up there. I've seen the air ambulance up a couple of times and the RAF mountain rescue was called in a few weeks ago to lift some poor unfortunate soul out.

It was lovely today, dusty trails rock…

luked2
    Free Member

Sounds like I should bring my wife's bike, duct-tape the basket into place, and wear a full-face helmet and body armour.

Would that about do it?

epicsteve
    Free Member

We occasionally go out with some beginners from my office and I was considering CV as a first trail centre outing. The Runway is quite an odd bit of track though – it's easy if you take it slow and have some experience (my Enduro had no problem just riding over the drop-offs) but you could definitely get yourself into trouble at higher speeds as some of the jumps are potentially pretty big. I was taking it easy both times I've ridden it but if I wanted to go much quicker it's one of the few places I'd consider pads etc.

There were a couple of guys a little bit behind me when I rode it on Sunday morning, one of whom was a beginner, and they were both raving about how much fun it was.

BTW for those that prefer "natural" trails I posted a video from my ride today on another thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e0TIqu4XuA

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Ah … I didn't mean to 'diss' the trail or start the 'trail centres are all just groomed paths' thing, just genuinly interested never having been to a trail centre, don't think there's many in Sussex?? And I'd be quite happy to ride there, it's all riding as far as I'm concerned, I keep meaning to get to one of these places one day, I reckon it could be good for gaining a bit of confidence on quick corners and small jumps? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Video of "The Runway" at Carron Valley’ is closed to new replies.