Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • Video games, they're not what they used to be
  • AdamW
    Free Member

I was told off by MrAdamW last night. Just got into Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (very short scene for Patrick Stewart!) and am 19 hours in. I’ve hardly scratched the surface. I’m now limited to an hour a night. 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Carrier Command

I had the disk of that but no manual, so I had to figure the entire thing out, including how to control everything and what the game was even about. Made it more fun 🙂

16stonepig
    Free Member

Carrier Command

Yeeeeeeeaaaah!

It took me ages to work out that you could “reprogram” the enemy bases and didn’t have to go through the rigmarole of destroying the defenses, then the HQ then building them all up again.

That enemy carrier was a bastard.

davidrussell
    Free Member

had a google but can’t find it – anyone remember a spectrum game (plus 2 or 3) where is was a platform shooter and you were dressed as a spaceman and shot what looked like mint imperials at the bad guys?

man that was a hard game in the day..

xiphon
    Free Member

I’m currently working my way through the Assassin’s Creed series (completed 1 + 2, now on Brotherhood).

It’s a very long play time…. but so much fun! Best thing I’ve played since Metal Gear Solid series…

GTA 3/4 series is fantastic too, for hours of havoc on the streets…

Cougar

had a google but can’t find it – anyone remember a spectrum game (plus 2 or 3) where is was a platform shooter and you were dressed as a spaceman and shot what looked like mint imperials at the bad guys?

man that was a hard game in the day..

Nodes of Yesod / Arc of Yesod?

(Or Jetpac)

molgrips
    Free Member

I completed Carrier Command (sort of) by sinking the enemy carrier. I did it by shooting at him a lot, the normal way, but having sneakily parked my planes in a holding pattern just out of his range…. So when he decided he’d had enough and legged it, I sent the three planes on kamikaze missions into him. His boat was faster than mine, but not my planes.. 🙂

Truly fantastic game though – very clever and involved, haven’t seen anything like that since. Can someone make an online multiplayer version please?

jon1973
    Free Member

(Or Jetpac)

That’s what I was going to suggest. You had to collect parts to build a rocket, which took you to the next level. One of the first games I have for the Spectrum 48k.

Northwind

I installed a copy of this a wee while back, and discovered I still remembered all the keyboard shortcuts, must be at least 20 years on.

Available on Android phones apparently. But I’d still need a paper map :mrgreen:

tazzymtb

northwind- is that lords of midnight?

AdamW- becoming the head of the assassins guild is ace fun as is being an arena fighter, oblivion will steal lots of your time 😆

Kit
    Free Member

Wow, so many from my childhood/teenage years. Most of my favourites were on Gameboy, SNES and Dreamcast. All-time timewaster was 2-player Super Mario Kart, trying to get as many red shells orbiting your opponent as possible 🙂 Wish I was 14 again…

Northwind

Tazzy- aye. Night has fallen and the foul are abroad :mrgreen:

AdamW- my advice, don’t get obsessed with Oblivion gates, they killed the game for me completely.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Going right back – Empire strikes back on Atari 2600 was a git, trying to shoot those flashing coloured squares in the at-ats head to bring ’em down but they just kept advancing.

or Star-raiders
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Raiders
    came with an extra pad with buttons to make your spaceship do stuff. I reckon the Elite programmers played this loads.

Kevevs
    Free Member

no, soz geeks, this is the 2600 version
    http://www.atariguide.com/1/173.php

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Video games, they're not what they used to be’ is closed to new replies.