Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Video game machines and games of your childhood/youth
  • drlex
    Free Member

Good thread. For me it was Choplifter on the Apple ][

At 10p a time, it was Pac-Man (memorised the routes) and Defender at the local Dayvilles ice-cream parlour.
    Even won a Vic-20 playing Galaxians at a computer show. So yes, another wasted youth.

Alphabet

^^^ Not the Dayvilles in Wimbledon by any chance? If so then that was where I spent a lot of my time as they had had various machines and I was best friends with the managers son.

drlex
    Free Member

Ha! It was indeed; Peter, yes?

Alphabet

That’s right. I was in the same class at school with him. Small world. I live up near Preston now and my next door neighbour is also from Wimbledon.

drlex
    Free Member

Indeed; we were in Primary school together, before I went off to boarding school. Good times!
    (Keeping the geo link by supporting AFC)

Alex

Many, many hours playing

on

Hunt the Wumpus is the first game I remember playing. Maybe on an Acorn Atom? Back in the days when there was proper rivalry between being a Beeb man (and it was all men) or a ZX80/81/Speccy man.

I lost a good chunk of my first year of college to this:

Either on my mates Vic-20 or C64. Can’t remember which. We’d sign in at the college, then ride over the fields to his house on my Honda H-100, get some cans of cheap beer and play sensible soccer all day.

Great thread. Many good memories. There was also an adventure game played on the Apple-II that started with you negotiating for stuff. We played that loads at Laskey’s in Sheffield before getting thrown out on an almost daily basis 😉

sirromj

Was too difficult for me at the time but a few years ago I coded a remake to run in Linux terminal.

kayla1
    Free Member

and the free bat and ball/breakout game that came on the cassette in the box with the computer. Then-

with

I’ve got SNES and Megadrive emulators on the computer now 😀

gobuchul
    Free Member

breadcrumb

Started with an Atari 2600. “Completed” Centipede, it basically just looped back to level 1 and slowed down again.
    I had a flight simulator type have that required both joysticks, that was tricky.

Next step was a Master System 2 with built in Alex Kidd. Very late nights and that music got in my brain!

MegaDrive (Road Rash was a favourite) next followed by a Gameboy.

Bought a door stop Amiga CD32.

Then on to PlayStations.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Up down left right a b c start, sonic level select cheat on megadrive if I’m not mistaken.

Obvs SNES was far superior though. SF2, super tennis , Zelda, and the true king, the one and only mario kart

RichPenny
    Free Member

BBC B

Master System

PC Engine

MegaDrive

N64

Amiga

Definite favourite was Phantasy Star though. Dungeon exploration enhanced by mates spinning the gamers chair wildly as you made your way, with hair mousse sprayed on you when you ran into something dangerous 🙂 Took us months to get to the end boss, where you couldn’t see how many HP it had. Then the backup corrupted and we had to start all over again 🙁

stu1972
    Free Member

My fave games in chronological order

ZX81 – Horace Goes Skiing
    ZX Spectrum – Manic Miner / Jet set Willy / Atic Attack
    C64 – Monty On The Run / Elite / Sabateur
    Amiga 600 – Another World
    SNES – Super Mario 3 / Starfox / Donkey Kong Country
    Mega Drive – Kid chameleon
    Saturn – Virtua Fighter
    PSX – Tomb Raider / Metal Gear Solid / Tekken / Gran Turismo
    PS2 – GT4 / GTA3,VC & 4 / The Warriors / Tekken
    PS3 – COD5

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Did anyone have a neogeo or Atari jaguar?

stu1972
    Free Member

Did anyone have a neogeo or Atari jaguar?

Neo Geo MVS was way too expensive for me back in the day. Always wanted a Supergun homebrew system which allowed you to play Neo Geo JAMMA boards on the cheap.

jimjam
    Free Member

RichPenny – Member
    Megadrive

C’mon that’s clearly a picture from the arcade version. I can’t trust anything anymore.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yeah it was a fortune… I want to weed out the rich kids

tomhoward

A game gear and sonic 2 was the one I got really hooked on, but I had a NES, with teenage mutant ninja turtles and top gun, they were fun, but suspect I was a little young to properly master them (suspect my dad bought them for himself…)

Cougar

ZX81 – Horace Goes Skiing

Nope, that was the Spectrum.

racingsnail
    Free Member

Cranberry and Couger have an other go on Parachute and others here,
    http://pica-pic.com/

Northwind

Phantasy Star was actually amazing tbh- we got right up to the very end but never quite worked out how to get to the last boss.

Completing Magicland Dizzy was a big day for young me 😆 King takes queen

derek_starship
    Free Member

OricTrek for the Oric 1. Absolute POS.

Loved this:

Cougar

I still have my Astro Wars, sadly non-functioning. I discovered that if you upped the voltage on the mains adapter, it made the display brighter. So I made it very bright, then very, very dark…

twonks

So so many games and systems, it’s impossible to have a favourite.

Main one through my teens was a C64 so I guess that’s the one.

Games were Ace, Uridium, Paradroid, Sanxion, Gribblys day out, monty on the run, crazy comets, hyper sports, boulder dash.

Any body remember GEOS for the 64? Basically windows miles ahead of its time that served little purpose, but was cool.

At 19 I got an Amiga, then ps1 to 3. Never bothered with anything else.

stu1972
    Free Member

Oh, forgot Yie Ar Kung Fu ( ZX / 64) ,Marble Madness, The Hobbit and Paperboy.

Anyone remember Adventure Parts 1-4 ? They were text based adventure games on the Spectrum.

Happy happy times.

@Cougar, I stand corrected. IIRC Horace Goes Skiing was the free game that was bundled with the ZX Spectrum 48k.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Spent many happy hours playing The Hobbit on the Spectrum.

Northwind

stu1972 – Member

@Cougar, I stand corrected. IIRC Horace Goes Skiing was the free game that was bundled with the ZX Spectrum 48k.

We got a collection of random other things too- Survival (which was ace), Make A Chip, and CHEQUERED FLAG MOTHER****ER

tewit
    Free Member

Anyone remember Underwurlde? It seemed to go on forever.
    Still remember the excitement buying it from W H Smith in Burnley. 🙂

stu1972
    Free Member

Anyone remember Underwurlde?

Oh that was STUNNING back in the day. Knights Lore & Sabrewulf too which were of the same ilk IIRC

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

There’s MAME and those Pandora dual arcade sticks with 900 or so arcade games.

Some rare gems in this lot!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n6I1KPxOfE[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suRXuW1hryw[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4vwOv_TGR8[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NqdaPaWWsc[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiP0Cb-fijU[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN-6kWTd_14[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtpXcyqejmM[/video]

weeksy

Another long termer and a game changer for me was Tomb Raider… It was just massively engrossing, i could play it for hour after hour after hour.

UFO Enemy unknown and Terror from the Deep… again, just played and played and played. Awesome stuff.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Video game machines and games of your childhood/youth’ is closed to new replies.