Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • video cameras in cars
  • MadBillMcMad

So loads of people now record their bike journey.

Many Commercial vehicles are now fitting them as standard.

Just wonderring if anyone has one fitted in their car to record incidents ?

nickjb
    Free Member

Very common in Russia, that’s why there was such great footage of the recent meteor

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/02/15/why-are-there-so-many-dash-cam-videos-of-the-meteor/

scotroutes

I have a hands-free cradle on top of my dashboard into which my phone slots anyway. A cheapo bit of software takes care of the rest.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I have a hands-free cradle on top of my dashboard into which my phone slots anyway. A cheapo bit of software takes care of the rest.

provided you remember to turn it on.

User interaction free is the only way to go with these things or you’ll get complacent. most accidents happen where ? within 5( or is it 10 i cant remember) miles of the house i believe.

scotroutes

It switches on automagically when the phone is placed into the cradle.

legend
    Free Member

Don’t most car journeys also occur within 5-10miles of the owners house though?

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s why I always park a couple of miles away from my house and walk the rest.

simon_g

Yes. Was considering one for a while, but this was what prompted me to: http://youtu.be/SJZTCSAdofM

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/232185-firby-in-traffic-collision/

Unsecured load fell off a transit going the other way (which didn’t stop, probably didn’t realise), straight into his A-pillar. Video was clear enough to read the numberplate. Van insurer admitted liability immediately once it was clear there was footage of it happening.

Lots of ways that you can end up with unclear liability (in the absence of good witnesses) and end up with 50/50, or even get outright scammed. Loss of excess and no claims bonus is expensive.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what simon said – i am in an insurance battle just now that would have been settled with a dash cam.

roadhawks i think once i get a new(er) car with 4 wheels and steering that works…..

spooky_b329

I used to use an Android App but it made my phone run very hot.

Bought a DVR-007 and use it in my work van. Fit and forget, especially after I modified it to fit on the unused rear view mirror bracket rather than the huge suction cup.

spacemonkey

I used to use an Android App but it made my phone run very hot.

As in you’d use your phone to record all your journeys, whether they be 5 mins or 5 hours? That’s a lot of storage.

jon1973
    Free Member

if the software is halfway decent, you only really need to keep a rolling 10 mins or so of footage – if you’re in an accident and need evidence, you don’t need to have captured the entire journey up to that point.

I’ve seen car cameras when you click a button if you have an accident and it saves the last 10/15mins or what ever it might be.

somouk
    Free Member

I have a Roadhawk in my car as I do so many miles I thought it would be useful. Apparently one was used to identify the bad guy in a smash on the M6 a few weeks back right by where I live so they do come in useful.

The one thing you have to be wary of though is they do highlight any problems you might cause as well as the other road users.

wwaswas

I’ve seen car cameras when you click a button if you have an accident and it saves the last 10/15mins or what ever it might be.

this does rather assume you’re in a position to press the button, though?

somouk
    Free Member

Mine will auto store data if it thinks there has been enough G force to warrant an accident. It does also have the emergency button if I want to store other stuff manually.

jon1973
    Free Member

true, there may well be other mechanisms for saving stuff, live impact detectors or something.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Unless you can easily remove or hide it and delete the footage I can’t see them being popular…

trail_rat
    Free Member

I find Not driving like a cock removes the need to delete or hide footage tbh …

somouk
    Free Member

Unless you can easily remove or hide it and delete the footage I can’t see them being popular…

Why? To hide that you’ve caused the accident or broken the law?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

most people think that trail rat, just by the law of averages most are lying. Not pointing the finger just saying why voluntary use will only record half the picture.

wwaswas

Most people assume they won’t cause an accident.

If insurers start giving discounts to those who are prepared to fit cameras with GPS etc then people will start using them.

Those that don’t will be assumed to consider themselves as ‘high risk’ and will pay penalties.

Also, once there’s enough people using them more will want to so that, literally, their POV is available insurers.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A mate has a mi:witness thing on his windscreen. He nicked the corner of a car parked at an angle on Regent Street last year and has ended up with massive* premiums as a result of the claim escalating into thousands for whiplash, weeks of replacement car rental, etc etc. Having seen the hassles he went through over what started as a really minor incident, I’m half tempted myself (despite feeling that I’m a well-above averagely skilled driver).

Are there any posters who’ve had to use them in a claim? Any experiences?

*EDIT: When I say massive, I mean, doubled-ish from £800ish.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

True (about guilty partied deleting footage), but if you’re not at fault you’d keep the footage. So if everyone had them it wouldn’t matter.

What’s the app?

scotroutes

I use Autoguard Blackbox on Android

daveh
    Free Member

There’s been a number of threads about this kind of stuff. I’ve got and would recommended a Möbius (link), sorted for ~£50 and better quality than many more expensive cameras.

spooky_b329

The App I used was Dailyroads Voyager. Free, you set the storage limit and it loops into it detects a big impact (or pothole if the threshold is too low!) Or you can press a button to save something manually.

It has a very good background mode so you can still use the phone to pipe Spotify into your radio etc, but as I said it does work the phone hard if you ask it to do this for lover periods 🙂

scaredypants

if you ask it to do this for lover periods

dash mounted doggercam ?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘video cameras in cars’ is closed to new replies.