Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Video (and audio) causing Windows 7 to hang – any ideas?
  • higgo
    Free Member

I've had a lap top which came with Windows 7 for a couple of months and it's been fine. Until last week when it started hanging when I went to web pages with embedded video. I've had the problem so far with Youtube, other webpages with video, Spotify and Skype.

I solved the problem yesterday by unistalling and re-installing Adobe Flash Player but now it's back (so not really solved then).

I could probably solve it again by reloading Flash but I don't want to have to do that on a daily basis.

Using IE8. I know someone will be along to suggest I switch to Firefox, Chrome etc but, even if that works, it won't sort out the Spotify/Skype side of things will it?

I think it's 32bit 7 and I've taken all the updates for Windows and IE.

Maybe relevant, maybe not – I've had one or two ActiveX problems, particularly the photo uploader for Facebook which never installs properly, asking me if I want to install the ActiveX component again and again without ever completing.

Any ideas?

Waderider
    Free Member

Higgo, I think you were on the right track first time, except the uninstall of Adobe Flash Player wasn't complete.

Remove it again via add/remove programs, and then download Ccleaner, and clean the computer AND the registry entries.

Then reinstall flash.

I had this problem on a linux computer recently and I had to hunt down and destroy all traces of the first flash installation – the steps above should do the same for Windows 7.

Get CCleaner here.

higgo
    Free Member

Done the above, including CC Cleaner and struggled to get Adobe Flash Player installed. A bit like the Facebook ActiveX problem I had it came up with the install dialog box but never installed it.

So I've switched to Opera which seemed to install Macromedia Flash instead of Adobe. I've currently got Youtube, Skype and Spotify all working fine but I'll only know whether it's fixed in a few days.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    higgo
    Free Member

And it seems to have solved the FB photo uploader problem too.

Waderider
    Free Member

Cool, if it forces you to change browser that's good. Browsers are free, so why use second best (or more like fifth best) 🙂

No idea what Internet Explorers issue is (if it is indeed at fault), I have little direct experience of it.

Ccleaner is worth retaining.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Video (and audio) causing Windows 7 to hang – any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.