Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Victoria Pendleton: attention whore?
  • geoffj

I was listening to Sir Chris in an interview on Radio 5 last night. The interviewer suggested that VP was depressed (not clinically) because she hadn’t received the attention and publicity from the general public, that she thought she deserved after Bejing.

I’ve only been recognised twice” was one of the quotes.

Sounds like she needs a bit of a reality check to me. Whaddya think?*

*Of course I realise that suggesting on here, that VP is less than perfect is as sacrilegious as saying I don’t like Skodas or Inbreds.

trailmonkey

Word on the grapevine is that she’s a bit of a diva anyhow. (allegedly)

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

What’s a diva?

geoffj

Word on the grapevine is that she’s a bit of a diva anyhow.

😯

druidh
    Free Member

Who?

DA_DOOD–lulz
    Free Member

ronaldo is a diva 4 pens innit

DezB
    Free Member

She can sing as well?

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

jamesgarbett – Member
    What’s a diva?

It’s a female specific bike made by Orange but that’s not important right now………

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

“I’ve only been recognised twice” was one of the quotes.

I’ve been recognised in the middle of nowhere way more than that and I’m nobody :o)

chakaping
    Free Member

Well, if she will insist on riding in that ridiculous helmet how can she expect anybody to recognise her?

druidh
    Free Member

Dancing on Ice next year for her perhaps? Or Celebrity BB?

theflatboy
    Free Member

poor vicky, the backlash claims everyone eventually. 🙁

i’m sure she’d be cheered to know that i still love her 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

I’m not sure its about being an ‘attention whore’ as such.

i know a motivational speaker-cum-endurance athlete who i was talking cycling to over christmas: she suggested that through her incredible drive to beat her rivals, or rather not to lose against them, VP has backed herself into a rather difficult corner where she will only be fulfilled by continuing to win everything and anything less than perfect will be very depressing for her. The downside of being so excellent at a competetive sport I suppose.

willard

Seriously, you’d better not let the Ca-ptain hear you saying things like this. He’ll be round your place with a tyre iron faster than you can say “wha…”

In all seriousness, I’ve not really seen a lot of any of the medal winners since the Olympics. Ok, see Hoy in a couple of ads, once on the news or something and Vicky is a lot nice to look at, but it’s not done to _want_ to be plastered over the airwaves. It’s vulgar. They will come to you.

theflatboy
    Free Member

she herself has said exactly that in some detail in a recent interview. surely it’s the way of a huge proportion of elite athletes, hence her comments just the other day about the races this week – “I will be aiming for gold medals – nothing less will really do, it’s what is expected of me”

geoffj

Dancing on Ice next year for her perhaps? Or Celebrity BB?

epicyclo

She’s earned the right to be a diva.

I still love her 😀

shinsplints

Let’s all knock one out in honour of Vicky & e mail her to let her know 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Successful, world beating athlete seeks well deserved recognition. What a shocker….

sharki
    Free Member

Since busting my clavicle on sunday, i’ve only recieved 20 odd txts and half a dozen emails, not to mention the various comments on here, other forums and facebook…..i’m pretty depressed about the lack of attention too.

geoffj

Successful, world beating athlete seeks well deserved recognition. What a shocker….

Isn’t a gold medal recognition enough?

druidh
    Free Member

sharki – Member

Since busting my clavicle on sunday, i’ve only recieved 20 odd txts and half a dozen emails, not to mention the various comments on here, other forums and facebook…..i’m pretty depressed about the lack of attention too.

Don’t you always get odd txts?

Rich
    Free Member

This is the first I’ve heard of her, so if she is an attention whore she needs to do a better job.

BigDummy
    Free Member

[chortles at shinsplints] 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

geoffj – Member

> Successful, world beating athlete seeks well deserved recognition. What a shocker….

Isn’t a gold medal not recognition enough?

Ah – she’s not in it for the winning, just the adulation….

ourmaninthenorth

Word on the grapevine is that she’s a bit of a diva anyhow. (allegedly)

Heard much the same from talking to people at BC.

But, fair play to the girl – she’s a World and Olympic champ in a discipline of the sport that we all love. And she scrubs up quite well, too….

clubber
    Free Member

She admits that she likes to receive praise for good performance – some people are just like that – no point really denying it and she doesn’t. Self-awareness of what motivates us is particularly important for top athletes…

I actually read the interview where she commented about her lack of fame/recognition and bearing in mind her own admission above it didn’t read as unreasonable.

Her main point was that Chris Hoy is knighted and feted across the land but she perfectly reasonably points out that if she’d been able to do the same three events at the Olympics, there’s a better than good chance that she’d have also won three golds (as she did at the World Champs IIRC) so she’s unfairly limited by there being fewer women’s events.

Now, she may well be a diva but that’s totally aside from this issue IMO.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Pictures – we need more pictures especially if we’re all going to knock a quick one off the wrist in her honour.

nukeproof
    Free Member

She’s on BBC 2 now for those interested

mike_check
    Free Member

It’s a female specific bike made by Orange but that’s not important right now….

Mister, can I ask you a question?

A question? What is it?…

househusband

“I’ve only been recognised twice”

If she went around more in her tight lycra, or ideally butt-nekkid, she might get recognised more..?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I am the real Victoria Pendleton and I take great exception to this topic.

humpff.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Sounds just like the warbling welshy Duffy, when she got her Brit (?) she said it was nice to finally recieve some recognition for the last 5 years work.

In that case, loadsa money, No.1 album, singles and TV apperances seemingly aren’t enough.

In the case of Miss P, she’d better wake up to the fact that people who excell in sport in this country aren’t exactly right at the top of the medias pick list. Now if she excelled at sport and was either:

– was a recovering/undercover alcholic (e.g Paul Merson/Tony Adams)
    – Sleeping with someone favoured by the media (e.g Ashley Cole or Mike Tindal)
    – publically made an arse of herself – on numerous occasions (e.g Ashley Cole again)
    – was accused of cheating by all and sunder despite clearly not (e.g Ronaldo)

Then she’d be right at the top of the celebrity sports star tree and would get all the media recognition she could ever wish for.

Either that or get used to the fact that despite Olympic success, track cycling is hardly a massive sport in Britain, let alone worldwide.

finbar
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Hey finbar, who’s that??

hora
    Free Member

Attention whore?! Think about the psychology of competing- you need to win and recognition is part of the reward/process. FFS, is this forum populated by frustrated and angry men?

Fair play to her and LONG may her success continue.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

if you talk to most professional athletes you’ll find that without the media attention it is extremely difficult to get funding from sport england/lottery/sponsors. all top athletes have to be very aware of their media presence as without it they can really struggle. remember, the olympics is going to cost rather a lot of money and a lot of sponsorship will go into ‘the event’ rather than individual athletes, there is more to be gained by sponsoring the whole event than gambling on the success of an individual. this is clearly to the detriment of sports development schemes

wonnyj
    Free Member

Hey I printed off a picture of her on here and pinned it on the wall of my office, right next to Allison Stokke (pole volt) and that amazing Aussie hockey woman.

What more attention does she need?!?

AndyP
    Free Member

Don’t care if she is. She’s a phenomenal athlete and I particularly enjoyed the whole of Revolution 23, focussed on the pits with a long lens. Some great shots. Pass the kleenex.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Victoria Pendleton: attention whore?’ is closed to new replies.