Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Victim of identity theft – what should I do next?
  • wwaswas

Right, I’ve just had £1000 taken out my current account by someone posing as me who set up an account with an online retailer (non-cycling) using my details (but not address) and used my debit card details to buy goods.

Bank and retailer sorting it out and I shouldn’t be out of pocket.

what do I do now?

nothing and hope they don’t do it again?
    change my name?
    ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

wee in their shoes, and own them with bombers

uplink
    Free Member

How do we know you’re who you say you are? 🙂

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

Give me all your details and I will get back to you, (account nos address DOB etc)

wwaswas

“How do we know you’re who you say you are”

I’m not even sure I know who I am.

duckman

A pain, but one the banks are increasingly faced with, so you should get sorted quickly.Where did they get your details? It’s just because all the paper bins in our street got nicked just after xmas… Oh and household shredders don’t work.

wwaswas

“Where did they get your details?”

**** knows. they had an issue number for my card though.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Last time this happened to me the bank wanted my old card back, destroyed & gave me a new one different numbers etc. No probs getting money back. If they dont offer then ask for it

skidartist
    Free Member

The retailer needs a slap round the head, so you can at least do that to start with – if they are not sending goods to the cardholders address they should at least be sending paperwork to cardholders address. When I need large orders sent to site most of my suppliers, unless I have a credit account with them won’t deliver unless I present myself in person with my card in advance, or arrange to pay on delivery. The others always send the invoice to my address and the goods to site

If the retailer who was being scammed doesn’t do that, tell us who they are are we can all order free stuff. Its not Screwfix is it? I’ve had a go at them for sending goods to site but putting the invoice in the box rather then posting it.

snowslave

Why don’t household shredders work?

skidartist
    Free Member

Shredders work to the extent that someone can’t use things like your utility bills as ID – for instance to hire goods or get items on credit, but anyone with patience could piece together the account no and address on a statement. If you’ve shredded a who bunch of docs then piecing together some information from all of them isn’t going to take long as the address and account no will keep recurring.

I rip out anything with an account no on it and destroy it totally and usually do the same with addresses. When its time to empty the shredder I’l usually mix up and split the stuff and don’t put it all in one bin bag, or even out for one collection

johni
    Free Member

I burn most of my shreddings in one of those patio burners.

I shred anything with my name and address on it or any other confidential information.

finbar
    Free Member

Could you go and spend a sh1t ton of cash and then blame it on the scammer? That’s what i’d do.

jimmy

UR BNK IZ SARACIN

zokes
    Free Member

household shredders don’t work.

My log burner does 🙂

wwaswas

“UR BNK IZ SARACIN”

aren’t they all nowadays?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Victim of identity theft – what should I do next?’ is closed to new replies.