Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Vibration from front end when bouncing bike on back wheel
  • jimmyjames
    Free Member

When I take my bike out of the shed I do so with the bike vertical on its back wheel. Normally it drops down a little step and bounces a bit. This was a good thing with my old bike as occasionally I would feel and hear a vibration through the front end which was normally because my front wheel was loose. So I tightened it and all was well, no vibration. I have a new frame now and I can’t pin down the vibration at all. I’ve tightened everything I can think of to no avail. So my question is, is it normal for a bike to vibrate a bit when bounced on the back wheel?*

*Apologies in advance for what is surely a stupid question 🙂

martinxyz
    Free Member

Happens with so many bikes.Some more so that others.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Loose headset.
    Wheel bearing play.
    BB bearings worn.
    Fork bushings worn.
    Full sus bearing play.
    Bottle cage loose.

Could be just about anything loose…..but something is.

SB

flow
    Free Member

I would go for loose headset

tk46hal
    Free Member

Headset is my guess!

jimmyjames
    Free Member

Okay, so it is something then. Damn. I will put an extra bit of pretension into the headset and see if that sorts it. Thanks for the tips!

simon1975

Brakepads

Kryton57

Same issue for me – even taped up the brake cables and brake levers. I can feel a rattle like a loose headset….

Turned out to be a tiny anount of stiction in the bottom shock bushing which when riding transmits through the frame like a rattle.

One I sorted that, I found my brakepads were rattling too….. c’est la vie….!

BigJohn

Resonant frequency. Tape a 2p coin to your stem, that will stop it.

Harry_the_Spider

All three of mine do it to some extent. The QRs are all tight so I’m not bothered.

meehaja
    Free Member

coil fork?

xc-steve
    Free Member

Mine used to do that when I had Coil Pikes, no longer does it with my Air Rev’s…. do the Math!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Vibration from front end when bouncing bike on back wheel’ is closed to new replies.