Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Very weird people on Linkedin
  • SaxonRider

I have recently received invitations to connect with the strangest people on planet Earth.

One person styles himself ‘His Royal Highness, Bishop _______’, and he comes with the stamp of approval of ‘Her Excellency, Ambassador __________’, going on to describe herself as ‘Ambassador of Peace & Art’. The description goes on.

The thing is, these people are clearly not trying to be funny. The first guy calls himself a ‘world chairman’ and claims to represent a sovereign state of a bunch of Hebrew mumbo jumbo.

Very, very strange.

Anyone else get invitations to connect to some really weird people?

wwaswas

Nope.

They must just sense that you’re a kindred spirit 😉

maccruiskeen

I get them from a guy who describes himself as a film producer but actually works in a bar and sends me unsolicited scripts (without any covering note telling me exactly what he wants me to do with them) for a film he’s written which is basically a 90 minute set up for this joke (spoiler alert) and a guy who feels he has been severely wronged by Muriel Gray and has used every social media platform, forum and yahoo group he can find over the last 15 years (at least) to tell everyone about it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BoardinBob

a guy who feels he has been severely wronged by Muriel Gray and has used every social media platform, forum and bulletin board he can find over the last 15 years (at least) to tell everyone it.

Link please 😆

fasthaggis

a guy who feels he has been severely wronged by Muriel Gray

Not a line I every expected to read on here.
    Well done sir 😉

badnewz
    Free Member

Go on, name “His Royal Highness”.
    I’m guessing it’s either Tony Blair or Boris Johnson (whose childhood ambition was to be “World king”).

growinglad
    Free Member

My Humble Gentle Sir,

Please accept my good intention invitation as I have big sums that we can share from a client of mine who is no longer shamefully with us.

Yours Bartholomew Tuwanga.

Chief CFO, Master Excellent President.

SaxonRider

Go on, name “His Royal Highness”.

If I did that, I might expose myself as a Grand Eminent member of the Royal Household of the eternal kingdom of Zanziland, as well as its High Priest and representative to the UN, and that I work at an Esso station in Brisbane.

And I wouldn’t want to do that.

votchy
    Free Member

I have had invitations from some quite senior managers at some high profile companies and their recent profile views include many scantily clad ladies who are directors of what I imagine must be lingerie companies lol

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Don’t assume LinkedIn only contains verified professionals – anyone can join and send friend requests (you probably already know this) so it’s got a lot of crap in it.

If you get dodgy connection requests, just click on ‘Ignore’ and either choose ‘Don’t know them’ or if you want, ‘Report as spam’.

SaxonRider

Don’t assume LinkedIn only contains verified professionals – anyone can join and send friend requests (you probably already know this) so it’s got a lot of crap in it.

I know. What gets me, though, is that some of these people take themselves seriously. I mean, how can you delude yourself into thinking you’re the grand, exalted ruler of somewhere, when you also work in the 7-11 in Omaha (or whatever)?

It’s like Linkedin facilitates the delusion.

globalti
    Free Member

I don’t belong and I don’t know anybody who has ever derived any benefit from belonging. As far as I’m concerned, the less information that’s in the public domain about me, the better. I’m quite worried that I used to use a Land Rover forum under my own name and Googling still pulls up a thread I started. I hope it will disappear one day.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@global – you can ask for all your posts to be deleted, right to be forgotton

LinkedIn has become a scammers paradise, in their drive to make money they have removed many safeguards. The original idea was you connected onky tompeople you knew or where introduced to by a third party known to both

allthegear
    Free Member

Best thing I did in social networking was to come off LinkedIn and get them to block my email addresses from ever receiving invites.

Even as a freelancer, it has never been a good tool for me. Twitter is massively more effective as a reputation tool for me. (which is in itself bizarre, considering some of what I write on there!)

Peace. Blissful peace. 🙂

Rachel

GrahamS

I don’t belong and I don’t know anybody who has ever derived any benefit from belonging.

I’ve had a couple of interesting job offers through it that I would have gone for if my circumstances were different. (genuine offers, not recruitment agencies) .

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

That Muriel Gray, she’s a right one is she not? Next head of Spectre no doubt.

@maccruisken – I would love to find the story behind that..

footflaps

It’s becoming more and more like FB every day – all sorts of motivational / hippy posts about being nice to people and doing to others as you’d wish to be done to.

Makes me sick; don’t they know it’s a ruthless corporate world and the only way to the top is to climb over the cold dead bodies of your colleagues?

maccruiskeen

@maccruisken – I would love to find the story behind that..

the keyword in ‘stolen’

lemonysam
    Free Member

the keyword in ‘stolen’

Amazing

http://hewasanutter.com/Muriel_Gray.html

matt_outandabout

Is wronged a euphemism?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Is wronged a euphemism?

Are you suggesting she bagged his Munro?

mefty
    Free Member

don’t they know it’s a ruthless corporate world and the only way to the top is to climb over the cold dead bodies of your colleagues?

You don’t wait for them to get cold.

footflaps

You don’t wait for them to get cold.

Good tip! Probably explains why I’m not at the top 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

OP,

I keep getting invites from that site from people that I know long time ago … strange.

But I never reply though …

😯

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Very weird people on Linkedin’ is closed to new replies.