Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Very poor campsite – What to do? (H&S content)
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We recently did the W2W coast to coast and one of the sites we stayed at had ‘facilities’ that can only be described as ‘shockingly poor’ and ‘dangerous’. I won’t go into detail, but I’m talking specifically about the toilet and shower. I’ve never seen anything like it.
    It’s a Camping Club registered site.
    Mrs PP left reviews for several sites on various websites and also contacted the C&C Club, but we’ve had no response. The good reviews for elsewhere have been printed, but not the bad one for this place
    Basically, do sites have to be inspected by a local authority or similar? We think we really should try and get something done about this before someone is injured (it really was that bad) I would have taken pics but the woman locks the place up and you have to knock on the door to get it opened, so it didn’t occur to me.
    I will happily name and shame too, but I can’t remember the name of it right now.

What’s the best course of action?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Council?

yossarian
    Free Member

Campsite owners are subject to the same laws as other employers when it comes to health & safety. Can you give a few more details on the actual issues you encountered?

Edit: usually LAs share responsibility with the HSE for enforcement. It kind of depends what the issue is.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think the only way to sort it is to form a lynch mob and get down there with burning sticks and pitchforks and that.

Marko

Is the site just listed, or is it a certified site in the C&C book? Certified sites are members only and don’t have to comply with all the H&S stuff as they are sort of ‘private’ sites for members only.

I think this is the legal way to allow someone to camp in your garden, without jumping through hoops.

ISTBC

Marko

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yoss, I’ll try and describe it.

The toilet and shower (Singular) are in a small portacabin, split in half. My main concerns were
    a) The general condition of the portacabin. It was pretty rotten but had been badly patched and bodged so many times it was unbelieveable. I honestly didn’t trust the floor. There were sharp edges of plasic, wood and metal. The toilet was loose on the floor, there was damp and mould everywhere, stuff like that.
    b) The combi-boiler was a very old (20-30 years or more by the look of it) and was actually labeled ‘Not to be used in a bathroom’ or similar, but it was installed about 3ft from the shower, in a room about 8x6ft. I doubt it would pass and modern test for carbon dioxide etc. There bare flame of the burner was clearly visible, I could probably have stuck my finger in it. The woman obviously knew it was iffy becasue she kept it locked and only lit the pilot light on request. So no hot water in the loo next door for 99% of the time either.
    c) I don’t think there was any electric in the cabin at all (No lights, certainly) but there was at least one bare wire sticking out.

Like I said, I have no problem at all naming the place:

NEW HOUSE FARM, ORTON[/URL]

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is the site just listed, or is it a certified site in the C&C book?

Just listed. We stayed at 2 C&C Club run sites on the same tour and they are utterly superb. (And cheaper, believe it or not!)

uplink
    Free Member

They all live like that over that side of the Pennines 🙂

Anyway, I’d just do as you’ve done with a few post here and there and leave it TBH

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=4289

a few post here and there and leave it TBH

We’re going as far as we can possibly take it.

binners

Was it the early morning exercise regime that upset you PP? 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh! Cheeky!

ironside7000
    Free Member

http://www.eden.gov.uk/licensing/caravan-site-licences/

Site should be licensed and inspected. The Food, Health and Safety Team are also responsible for general H&S inspections. Drop them a line…..won’t someone think of the children!!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why did you stay if it was so bad?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think he only stayed for one night.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why did you stay if it was so bad?

Becasue we’d just cycled 40 miles over Tan Hill on loaded tourers, we were booked in, and we didn’t know of anything else close by.

5thElefant
    Free Member

£7 a night! No wonder they can’t afford decent crappers.

Stuey01
    Free Member

What’s the best course of action?

Book a B&B next time?
    😉

TheBrick
    Free Member

5thElefant – Member

For basic campsite with a cycle tourers / backpackers

I’d say this is about right. Just spent a week in Wales and the most expensive was £6 per person per night, that was with a car too, all sites where lovely and clean.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

+ £1 each for a shower, so that’s £16 a night for 2 of us.

As a comparison, the next site we stayed at in Barnard Castle was a C&C Club run site which was like paradise and about £13-14 a night.

jimmers
    Free Member

Myself the the missus stayed at an overpriced campsite in Devon (car camping) and I submitted a review to the UK Camping website. The review was balanced, praised the good bits but was honest about the bad bits.

The response received was that I had not published enough reviews for other campsites for my inital review to published and so they didn’t.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Very poor campsite – What to do? (H&S content)’ is closed to new replies.