Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Very OT: Washing Machine Carbon Brushes – any gurus/where to get very old parts
  • gusamc
    Free Member

Hi

running an ancient Hotpoint 9901 washer dryer, with Axon fan motor blower for tumble dryer.

Well I say axon fan motor – however brushes are weird. Not the std brush/wire/spring carry on.

They consist of several parts;
    – actual brush is about 7mm by 7mm and say about 40 mm long
    – it is held in a metral U (about 45mm on sides and 8 mm base), one on side of the U is a slot (which a pin on one side of the bush fits) on the other side of the U is a metal coil – which when the brush is inserted down the U it pushes the brush back against the motor.
    – the brush is put in the metal U and then the metal U (wich is about 8mm by 7 exterior diameter) goes in the brush hold.

– anybody know where I can get brushes
    – anybody know where I can get normal brishes that are 7x7mm

– is filing down a brush to fit a good or bad idea ?

bruneep
    uplink
    Free Member

is filing down a brush to fit a good or bad idea ?

That’s the way to do it if you can’t find a match

druidh
    Free Member

I get these sort of parts from a shop in Edinburgh

http://www.wallacesuk.com/default.asp

Give them a call with your details and see if they have the bits you need

gusamc
    Free Member

Hi Bruneep – fraid not – those are main motor bruhes. I’m after smaller brushes for the smaller tumble hot air blower fan.

The metal holder U holder is a wafer thin metal strip bent into a square U.

bruneep

Washer/dryers are the work of the devil, I’ve seen so many go on fire. Its death is telling you something don’t try to breathe life back into it.

gusamc
    Free Member

Hi uplink – these are the brushes I expected (what I had in the first motor that eventually wore out)- however as I say there is some weirdness going on – I’ve never seen brushes like this before – wafer metal U holder and coiled flat metal spring.

Problem is I need to know the actual size of brush – you can’t tell from photos. I think my cunning plan is to get a brush 8×8 and introduce it to Mr File.

Thanks to all though

gusamc
    Free Member

Yahoo – looks like I’m saved

https://www.easyspares.co.uk/products.asp?c=20&c2=76&page=2

bottom R

bruneep

Hurrah!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Very OT: Washing Machine Carbon Brushes – any gurus/where to get very old parts’ is closed to new replies.