Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Very old bike for commuting.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

My 1958 Raleigh Lenton Marque 111 just sits in my garage looking all old. And tbh I’m thinking about using it for my very short work commute.
    It’s not worth a lot, and at the moment I still need a few easy to get parts.
    And the silly thing is that all that’s stopping me using it is the fantastic graphics and old paint that once gone will never be replaced.
    Also it uses the very old Raleigh specific bottom bracket, so it might pay to source a spare beforehand.

coastkid
    Free Member

Do you have a pic?, sometimes i commute on this 54 sportster 😮
    it has a Smiths gear drive speedo!

garage 017 by coastkid71, on Flickr

rob
    Free Member

my old bsa sports

fitted a big caradice saddle bag for the commute

oldgit
    Free Member

coastkid
    Only a frame picture. You can’t get the decals anywhere or the very old 531 and Reg Harris flaming torch ones.

SteveCHT
    Free Member

The bike was made to be cycled! Why not cycle to work on it!

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m gonna.

Edric64
    Free Member

http://www.hlloydcycles.com/ListFeb09html.htm

Try H Lloyd for all manner of old bike decals they have some Lenton ones not sure about yours though.

oldgit
    Free Member

They do a basic Lenton one, might buy it now for the future. Just seen some old style white plastic full length guards on ebay as well.

aP
    Free Member

Should have been at Herne Hill yesterday for the bike jumble – they had everything except for 8spd campag rear mechs.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

If the BB is knackered, try using a threadless one. I had a similar problem with an old Raleigh 20. You can still but the real thing, but tends to be expensive, the threadless will be fine for your commute and cost about £10-15

epicyclo

I have seen a Raleigh thread retapped with the standard size thread…

Don’t know if you would want to do this, and you may have to face it down a bit too because I think the BB widths were different.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Very old bike for commuting.’ is closed to new replies.