Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • (very) niche 80's toy content
  • MrPottatoHead

Little man keeps getting sent home with my old toys from Nanny and Grampys loft. We’re scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Whoever remembers the name of these can win the internet today.

maccruiskeen

Whoever remembers the name of these

Think I can see David Bowie at the back there.

MrPottatoHead

Aaarrrggh. Photos!

scotroutes

I’ve no idea what they are (apart from Bowie)

ratherbeintobago

I remember those. I think they’ve got heat sensitive ‘holograms’ on their chests that do fire, water and wood (essentially so you can play Rock Paper Scissors with them).

Edit – Battle Beasts

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I remember those, but couldn’t remember the names but after some googling they’re Battle Beasts.

edit – beaten by the edit!

akira

Battle Beasts……after some googling.

Edit…..BALLS!

sharkattack

Beaten to it, so here’s a picture of Bravestarr.

funkmasterp

Oh man! That brings back some memories 🙂 loved those things as a kid. Having my own child now I’m actually impressed by the fact that toys appear to have stopped progressing much since the 80’s.

Edit – Speed of the Puma, Strength of the Bear, Eyes of the Hawk. Was the horses gun called Mary Jane?

MrPottatoHead

Well that didn’t take long! Gonna have to find something harder into days bag of goodies!

MrPottatoHead

Name the game….

Jamie
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUfJuOp7Dck[/video]

wombat

Pogs?

Paulio
    Free Member

MrPottatoHead – Crossbows and Catapults!

munkyboy
    Free Member

That crossbows and catapults stuff is worth a bit on ebay. How annoying I quite fancied a set

Paulio
    Free Member

Really? Pretty sure my set is still somewhere at my parents house. May have to dig it out as I need a new dropper post.

MrPottatoHead

Sadly not much remains of crossbows and catapults. It got used to destruction and I remember my dad making some wooden replacement which probably doubled the range! Great game.

GrahamS

toys appear to have stopped progressing much since the 80’s.

*looks at daughters Furbie, with colour screen eyes, that interacts via Bluetooth to an app on the tablet*

*looks at robot dog that can find its ball, do tricks, obey voice commands, follow you round the house and plug itself in when the battery is low*

*looks at MiRobot car that can be programmed via a web interface in half a dozen different languages*

*looks at kids’ Hudls*

*looks at younger daughters Codeapillar, interconnectable USB blocks that determine the route it will follow*

Yeah… I’m not seeing it myself. Young 80s me would be absolutely blown away by the toys kids have these days!

blitz

I remember those battle beasts, but would never have known the name!

The golden age of cartoons and kids toys.

Blitz. Age 37 1/2.

funkmasterp

GrahamS you would appear to have more disposable income than me. My kids toys are all plastic dinosaurs, bears, cars etc 🙂

Northwind

Battle Beasts Battle Beasts they battle for fun

russyh
    Free Member

Cor you can work out the forum members aged around mid to late 30’s ! I can remember those battle beast things too!!!

sharkattack

*looks at daughters Furbie, with colour screen eyes, that interacts via Bluetooth to an app on the tablet*…………..

But is your daughter any happier than I was when I got this?

Northwind

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SpH5vDOx0Q[/video]

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Age 37 1/2 … The golden age of cartoons and kids toys.

Hardly!

<damn youngsters>

finbar
    Free Member

My stupid grandmother gave all my old Transformers, Battle Beasts, Supernaturals (those ones with holograms for faces), GI Joes and even my father’s old Star Wars toys to charity when they were stored in her garage.

She’s dead now and frankly she deserves it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You can always buy replacement toys on eBay.

Replacement grandmothers? Not so much.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member
    You can always buy replacement toys on eBay.

Replacement grandmothers? Not so much

True, i think there are other sites for people who’ve been left in a loft or cellar for a while.

zilog6128

Yeah… I’m not seeing it myself. Young 80s me would be absolutely blown away by the toys kids have these days!

the only exception, although it’s important enough to blow your entire theory out of the water, being Transformers. Utter shite now compared to the first run in the 80s (surely the pinnacle of toys)

loddrik
    Free Member

The only 80’s toy worth having…

Big Trak on the other hand was total shite

GrahamS

GrahamS you would appear to have more disposable income than me. My kids toys are all plastic dinosaurs, bears, cars etc

It wasn’t intended as a humblebrag – they have lots of that kind of plastic crap too.

But is your daughter any happier than I was when I got this?

Indeed, it was truly awesome (though I preferred Thundercats myself), but how much was Castle Greyskull when it came out in 1982? £30 maybe?

That’s close to £100 at today’s prices. For some moulded plastic, stickers and cardboard cutouts:

http://toysfromthepast.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/12-masters-of-universe-castle-grayskull.html

Meanwhile, here’s that robot dog that we paid about the same price for:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSByydx1JdU[/video]

GrahamS

the only exception, although it’s important enough to blow your entire theory out of the water, being Transformers

True dat. I blame Michael Bay.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Funny Mr Potato Head? 😆

kimbers

crossbows & catapults was brilliant!

combined with star wars figures

we had some epic living room battles

good read re bravestart

The Best of BraveStarr: 15 Amazing Episodes

maccruiskeen

they have lots of that kind of plastic crap too.

Thank goodness they don’t have to do without the plastic crap – I was about to call the NSPCC. 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘(very) niche 80's toy content’ is closed to new replies.