Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Very interesting article… ( to me anyway)
  • lyons
    Free Member

I just read this article, and found it very interesting…

http://www.slate.com/id/2210332/?GT1=38002

I was wndering what other peoples opinions were on this type of thing?

djglover
    Free Member

what are your opinions on this typer of thing. I think, it’s just one of those things, a few of my dads friends, fit sub 3 hour marathon runners died of heart attacks, maybe they would have been OK if they had stayed at home and read the paper.

lyons
    Free Member

My opinion, is that its one of those things thast happens… Obviously its a shame, but it sertainly wont worry me too much. I do believe though that there should be more publicity on the subject, its the first ive evr heard of it anyway… And that the tests to find out if you are at risk should be easilly available to athletes.

But i suppose you have a far higher chance of being in a car crash, or dying of other illnesses, so its not a priority to health autorities.

especially as it seems alot of people nowadays count walking to the pub or train station to go to work as excercise…

johnners
    Free Member

it seems alot of people nowadays count walking to the pub or train station to go to work as excercise…

It is.

ebygomm
    Free Member

You might be interested to read some of the stuff here

Cardiac Risk in the Young (CRY)

BoardinBob

Can’t read that without thinking of Bill Hicks’ Yul Bryner/ Jim Fixx sketch

”Ever seen that commercial Yul Brynner did right before he died! ‘I’m Yul Brynner and I’m dead now because I smoked cigarettes.’ Okay. That’s pretty scary, but they could have done that with anyone. How about Jim Fixx! Remember the big runner who died while jogging! ‘I’m Jim Fixx and I’m dead now and I don’t know what the **** happened. I jogged every day, ate nothing but tofu, swam 500 laps every morning. Yul Brynner drank, smoked and got laid every night of his life. I’m running around a dewy track at dawn, and Yul’s passing me on his way home in his big, long limo, cigarette in one hand, drink in the other, two girls blowing him. Where did I go wrong!’

”Yep, they’re both dead. But what a healthy-looking corpse you were, Jim—look at the hamstrings on that corpse. Look at the sloppy grin on Yul’s corpse!”

jam-bo

gotta love bill hicks.

i got news for you…non-smokers die every day…

lyons
    Free Member

ha, Boardin bob, that was rather amusing i must say…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but say you had your EKG, and the doctor said, your not allowed to excercise any more?

what would you do?

ok, if youve got kids, a wife etc maybe youd think aboust stopping, but what about the rest of us? Think i’d take sport and an early death seeing as i know how bored i can get when im injured.

lyons
    Free Member

I thought about that.. i guess in some ways i’d rather stay ignorant whenit comes down to it… I know i’m going to suffer from all my injuries when i get older anyway, but i keep on doing it, and adding to them…

It would be horrible though, everytime i was climbing a hill to be thinking, is this it?

surfer
    Free Member

How about Jim Fixx! Remember the big runner who died while jogging!

Its often overlooked by people who look for any reason to justify their sedentary lifestyle but Jim Fixx had a hereditary heart problem and the running he did was estimated to have extended his life. His father died at a much younger age.

nickc

Sufer, that’s not as funny as Bill Hicks though

IanMunro
    Free Member

but say you had your EKG, and the doctor said, your not allowed to excercise any more?

I think you’ve raised an important point. I would guess that most doctors would err on the side of caution in giving a prognosis, and although some lives may be directly saved, many more lives might be shorted by people being warned off exercise. Plus if it became mandatory, or heavily advertised it would lead to people percieving exercise as dangerous, which is the last thing we need.

skidartist
    Free Member

Couldn’t be bothered to read the whole thing but I was struck by the paragraph about italian atheletes being screened and disqualified with the result that

In 2006, researchers determined that sudden death in Italian athletes had dropped by an incredible 90 percent—because of the reduction in deaths due to HCM as well as some rarer conditions detected by the test.

Well if you disqualify them as athletes that presumably doesn’t ‘cure’ them, they just aren’t ‘athletes’ when they die.

it seems alot of people nowadays count walking to the pub or train station to go to work as excercise

As above, walking is exercise, pretty much the best exercise you can get if your aim is to be healthy. There is a big difference between being healthy, in the long and happy life sense and being ‘fit’, in the competitive sense.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Very interesting article… ( to me anyway)’ is closed to new replies.