Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Very high viz clothing for the road
  • breninbeener

My girlfriend got knocked off her bike a couple of days ago. Despite 2 flashing rear lights she was hit from the rear. The driver stopped and stated to Police he didny see her….

Ruth is now very keen on being as visible as possible on the road. She is pretty shaken and wants to buy some hi viz and hopefully stylish road items. She is particularly after a bright pink breathable jacket.

Can anyone recommend any items that fit the bill please?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

. The driver stopped and stated to Police he didny see her….

The driver didn’t look for her nothing to do with the light. If the driver said he saw her then he would have just admitted driving into her.

tomd
    Free Member

Expensive, but Rapha do their woman’s winter jacket in hi vis pink, and their Audax brevet jersey and gilet.

legend
    Free Member

These seem pretty impressive. Someone in my work wears one and I haven’t knocked him off yet

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/gear/category/clothing/jackets/product/review-proviz-reflect360-14-49051/

langylad
    Free Member

I’ve got a proviz helmet, nice and comfy and very hi viz. german company

submarined
    Free Member

The driver didn’t look for her nothing to do with the light. If the driver said he saw her then he would have just admitted driving into her.

Sadly, I agree with this. Really sorry to hear about the incident, and the resulting nerves with riding again. However, unfortunately I tend to think that the only benefit from acres of hi viz (beyond a certain point) is to make the rider feel safer.
    I’m
    Realistically, beyond a static and flashing pair of light on the F+R , and some appropriate clothing, I’m not sure there’s much more you can do in the way of passive prevention

parkesie
    Free Member

They couldn’t admit to didn’t see you because I was updating Facebook could they. The idea of being hit from behind by someone is frightening as beyond lights and hiviz your at the mercy of idiots.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Polaris RBS stuff is good. Had drivers stop and tell me they seen me from miles away.

Can be found at bargain prices too

srshaw
    Free Member

I agree that the driver said the didn’t see her because otherwise he would have to explain why he ran in to her. It annoys me what little punishment is dished out to motorists who collide with cyclists.

It seems the ‘I didn’t see’ is sufficient excuse. I guess wearing hi viz might negate that argument. Hope she is ok though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wait for the punishment not seeing a well lit rider is driving without due care possibly

zippykona

I saw a car take a sneaky short cut up a one way street.
    At the start of the one way bit there was a copper on a horse.
    If a driver doesn’t see a man in fluorescent yellow on a horse in an urban environment he is never going to see a cyclist whatever you are wearing.
    Scary.

FOG

Did anybody see the report on visability studies in the press a few weeks ago? Some research, done in Australia I believe, claims hi-viz jackets are a waste of time and hi-viz leggings are what you need.It was a very small scale project and I am not sure how much it proves. Drivers still need to be aware of whats in front of them for anything to be effective. Too many of the tinned life are oblivious to their road surroundings.

mikey74
    Free Member

Go for highly reflective stuff, rather than just bright colours: Bright colours don’t work in the dark.

slowster
    Free Member

I think neon green and yellow stand out more than pink in the daytime (whereas at night/when lights are on reflectives are more important). Showers Pass offer this neon waterproof jacket which also has some reflective fabric.

I would also suggest looking at women’s professional team kits (although the choice and availability to purchase is nowhere near as good as the men’s). The pro team strips are designed to be eye catching, because they are advertising. Very often the most eye catching kits are also the most hideous/tasteless, which is no bad thing: if it looks so awful that drivers can’t help noticing it and thinking it looks awful, then that means they have registered the presence of the cyclist.

She might also like to consider getting a mirror. SJS Cycles have a good range here, and I particularly like the B&M mirror for drop bars, given that it is often more awkward to look over your shoulder when using drop bars as opposed to flat bars.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had an idea for a gilet or top with LED strips sewn into it. Not seen anything like it for sale for a while.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Not pink, but the fluro https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXHYSPHWPJ/planet-x-hydrosphere-waterproof-jacket is my jacket of choice, with my 3-season red/black Altura Peloton Transformer https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/altura-peloton-transformer-jacket/ (8% TCB) a close second this winter.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-flashlight-thermoliter-socks/ , with fluro orange http://www.wiggle.co.uk/defeet-e-touch-dura-hi-vis-gloves/ and the fluro http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-savant-road-helmet/ typically completes my “don’t say SMIDSY” look.

Bez

What was the police reaction to the driver’s Smidsy line? Are they pursuing anything? Which force? Was this at night or in the day?

As above, someone who fails to see a well illuminated bicycle is simply not looking. I fully understand why a traumatic experience like this would make someone want to go all out on bright clothing, but if someone’s not looking, they still won’t see.

Apologies for not answering the question. But would like to know more about how the police are treating it.

dudeofdoom

Proviz jackets are crazy visible in the dark although doesn’t come on pink and probably saying it’s breathable would be stretching it, worthwhile for riding in well dark conditions though.

Uunfortunately this – if flashing lights don’t get their attention nothing will.

The daylight hiviz seems to be more of a blame shifting thing IMHO likely to be used by lawyerists in defence of their clients running over people whilst facebooking.

hols2
    Free Member

dudeofdoom

Hmm might be awkward if your stopping off for a pint thou.

bishj
    Free Member

Not sure it is available in pink but I highly recommend a Sugoi Zap jacket. It is both fluoro yellow and then has reflective beads all over it so seems to be best of both worlds in terms of day and night visibility.

superleggero
    Free Member

The standard Proviz reflective jacket, while being excellent at night in terms of being seen, is a dull grey colour during the day, which is not ideal. They do however now sell a version which is flouro so good during they day, and has the same reflective properties for when it’s dark. Comes in a choice of colours including yellow, orange and green:

Women’s version: https://www.provizsports.com/en-gb/reflect360-crs-womens-cycling-jacket.html

I have one of the green ones and I like they way it performs in terms of visibility.
    Pros – good day and night visibility, waterproof
    Cons – breathability not great, cut may not suit everyone, price.

curto80
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter what you are wearing. The driver that hits you is the one not paying attention or driving too fast for the road and conditions.

ransos
    Free Member

If the driver failed to see two rear lights, bright clothing is going to make zero difference. Cyclists are not difficult to see on the road, and if the driver isn’t looking, any measures on our part are largely redundant.

jeffl

Agree. Proviz is amazing at night but rubbish in the day. When commuting I run a solid light on the bike and an flashing light on the helmet, front and rear.

Also wear a bright yellow cycling top and a high Viz and reflective backpack cover. Still had someone drive into the back of me at a roundabout as they thought I’d gone! There’s only so much you can do, it really is just a matter of when not if.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

I saw the study which recommended bright colours on the moving parts make the biggest difference. Bright shoe covers or ankle bands seem to work well. Assuming the driver was looking there is a better chance of getting noticed. Seems the human brain blanks out a lot of the visual information a bit like speed reading. Our small brains can’t cope with too much information so you need an attention grabber. Another idea would be bright lights on the spokes.

How good are her rear lights? Some rear lights are very poor.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Inattentional blindness

http://road.cc/content/news/235330-new-research-finds-many-drivers-really-dont-see-cyclists-or-motorbikers-video

It’s not that cyclists are hard to see…it’s drivers aren’t looking for them

lunge

Based on personal experience with this:
    More lights and various heights. I have 5 on the back, the lowest is in my mudguards, then 2 on the seat post, one on my lower back and one on the back of my helmet. A combination of flashing and constant.
    Reflective tape. My commuter bike is covered with it, my helmet is the same.
    Spoke reflectors. Not particularly useful for a hit from behind but awesome for for side junctions.
    Ankle reflectors. Just seem to work.
    Hi-viz gilet. Yellow, lot of refective stuff, does the job.

Bar that it’s riding primary, a bit of luck and being aware.

matt_outandabout

Firstly what a horrible incident. I’m hoping the police are taking action and gf is ok.

I’m another one that thinks the issue is not how bright you can be, but drivers lack of observation.

This morning while running (bright turquoise blue top with luminous flashes, reflective bits) and headtorch, a driver just didn’t expect a pedestrian already crossing end of off slip wide junction – he was too busy looking the other way to not have to slow down. He jumped out his skin when he finally glanced left and saw me sprint out the way…

samunkim
    Free Member

Im a huge believer in hi-vis as i think redlights get drowned out on busy roads.

Esme
    Free Member

I reckon a pink jacket is a good idea, as pink is regarded as a girly colour these days.

According to Dr Ian Walker at Bath University, drivers give female cyclists an extra 14cm when overtaking. There was a suggestion that this is because women are “less predictable” 😯

scaredypants

After dark I’d say reflective top and reflective ankle bands and then shine a small light or two on yourself – then you look like a person, not a series of point sources of light

gauss1777
    Free Member

Firstly what a horrible incident. I’m hoping the police are taking action and gf is ok.

This many times over, wish her well from all of us. It is a sad state of affairs, when people need to have hi-viz, reflectives and 5 rear lights to feel remotely safe. Obviously everyone needs to be easily visible, but there is something sad in seeing people clad head to toe in dayglo yellow, even groups of toddlers walking on the pavement.
    OP as someone whose wife and both daughters commute by bike, I can only imagine how you felt.

It’s the drivers who drive too close to the car in front, so that their view is hugely restricted and a foot or more closer to the kerb, that always concern me. It’s not like the first vehicle is likely to have given you much room.

breninbeener

Thanks all, Ruth is a serving Police Officer and she knew everyone who turned up to help. Her stamement is very good going into the minutia of what she was wearing and other conditions. The driver was interviewed under caution and has admitted ‘not seeing her’. For me that has to be careless driving, the threshold for dangerous is too high for conviction.
    Im grateful for all the suggestions for kit. I agree that no amount of kit will help if the driver isnt looking( for whatever reason).

She is battered and bruised and her DI2 equipment is a mess…but she is ok. It is really just a slight peace of mind thing regarding her visibility.

Thanks all

superleggero
    Free Member

I agree that inattentive drivers are a huge issue when it comes to cyclists safety on the road. I’m also of the view that you should do as much as you can to make yourself visible – it’s one of the key parts of the cyclist safety equation that is in your control, such as road positioning etc.

I’m a big fan of additional rear lights above the usual seatpost location such as on a backpack (if you ride with one) and on the rear of the helmet. I find these higher level rear lights in particular grab my attention when I’m driving (mainly in an urban setting with lots of lightis competing for attention). Decent pulse patterns can also be quite attention grabbing.

Edit – Good to hear the OP’s other half is okay

gauss1777
    Free Member

Perhaps a jacket with POLICE across the back?

redmist
    Free Member

I’ve had the Evans own brand Proviz jacket copy for the past two winters. I’ve used it daily for commuting through the dark and have no complaints, apart from perhaps a bit more breathability would be nice. I’m not sure how effective where it is when you haven’t got car lights or street lights and in dusky conditions. I think the perfect combination would be alternating stripes of yellow/orange with the proviz material – best of all worlds in all conditions. But I’ve not seen this yet!

downhillfast
    Free Member

Polaris RBS stuff is good

It is, wear mine a lot on road rides.

breninbeener

We dont twnd to ride in the dark, unless its a night mtb ride. The ride was on clear sunny day….

matt_outandabout

Good to hear breninbeer, let us know how it goes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Very high viz clothing for the road’ is closed to new replies.