Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Very badly made Bronson
  • Legoman
    Free Member

I actually think there’s a genuine issue lurking here, albeit not a very well articulted one!

I’ve got a 2015 Cube Stereo Carbon which I bought new in December – probably the most expensive bike I’ll ever own.
    So far:
    – the reverb has been replaced under warranty (same problem has since re-surfaced on the replacement unit)
    – both tyres replaced under warrenty (Hans Dampf side-nobbles ripping off, a well documented issue)
    – rear wheel bearings ‘comically worn’ (in the words of the mechanics at Bike Park Wales) in the rear DT Swiss hub. I’ve never worn out a set of bearings & I’ve run many sets of new and second hand wheels over the years. I don’t cover much mileage, sadly!

Now let’s keep this in context – non of these are catastrpohic failures, but they are all expensive bits which shouldn’t fall apart quite this easily. I’m left with the feeling that the industry is too focussed on rushing the next big thing onto the shelves and less concerned with proper product development and quality control.

Overall I agree with Science’s sentiment – we shouldn’t put up with being fobbed off with expensive crap.

sharkattack

I’m trying to find pictures of broken Bronsons because I’m bored and all I have is this,

Looks like exactly what you want from one of the most expensive bikes out there.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Where did it happen OP? I thought Santa Cruz’s were only designed for use at Swinley Forest?

michaelbowden

STATO – Member

The way SC linkages work they get close to the inflexion point (if thats the right term?) at the end of the stroke. Perhaps the bottom-out bumper had failed allowing the shock to travel the small extra distance that allowed the link to flip over. Or potentially.. was the rider running offset bushes?

I was there and I fixed it.

Stato is right, the rocker rotated over center, so the shock is then forcing it in the wrong direction.

The bottom-out bumper is fine and the shock is the original correct one and was serviced/rebuilt after the first time it happened.

My gut feeling it that the frame/linkages/shock is right at the wrong end of the tolerances which allows a tiny amount too much travel.

The owner is contacting SC, in the meantime I’m going to add to the bottom-out bumper to stop it happening again.

jedi

hey mike, good to see you yesterday 🙂

wwaswas

coming on here corroborating another’s wild stories and over swearified postings.

It’s just not on.

jedi

pmsl 🙂

jimmy

I thought the thread title was going to be a euphemism for something, but I think that’s kebab.

michaelbowden

Hi Tony. Thanks for the hospitality again.

Sorry for the dose of reality. Will try harder…

jedi

Heh heh curry next time

michaelbowden

Like. ^^^^^^^

kimbers

Top ranting from the OP

Swearing, bad spelling and grammar, subject doesn’t even effect him!

Interested to see some pics, was this a drop of or big jump then? Possibly a bit out of its recommend use?

sime46
    Free Member

Mines never done that. Never been to the canal or Swinley forest either. Clearly I’m missing out.

jedi

5ft gap jump

jonnyyeti
    Free Member

Santa Cruz have a lifetime warranty on all their new carbon frames. I am pretty sure they wouldn’t do this if they thought all of their bikes were going to fall apart.

I have also heard they are very good if there are any issues.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

We’ve sold over 40 Bronson’s since their launch, including some racing EWS by some high profile riders.. I guess they must have all fallen to bits too & just not told us?
    In reality we haven’t had a warranty return on any single one of them.
    Just saying.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Why does this matter?

T666DOM

A frame that can’t use it’s full travel is as much use as tits on a nun.

Replying to the thread late but always thought the phrase was ‘As much use as tits on a vicar’ No help to the Bronson question but my comment is as much use as arse pockets on a vest.

twohats
    Free Member

That yellow Bronson up there^^^^^^ was CG’s and if I remember correctly it was the offset bushes he was using causing the wheel to hit the seatstay…

gonzy
    Free Member

bad spelling and grammar

Possibly a bit out of its recommend use?

😯

bigyinn
    Free Member

twohats – Member

That yellow Bronson up there^^^^^^ was CG’s and if I remember correctly it was the offset bushes he was using causing the wheel to hit the seatstay…
    But but but, its GOT to be SC’s fault!!!

soobalias
    Free Member

The most visible upgrade is the completely new VPP® link arrangement. The lower link tucks neatly above the bottom bracket, fully-recessed and protected from impacts. Meanwhile the box-section upper link now mounts cleanly to the top-tube and enhances lateral stiffness as a result. Shock rate’s been refined in the process too, delivering greater small bump sensitivity and a more progressive mid-stroke.

^from the SC site

not sure if those tweaks have occured and possibly resulted in the OP’s friends mates brothers bike, or if SC discovered the problem and have now fixed it with a new link and more rampy uppy shock.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

guess they must have all fallen to bits too & just not told us?

well they couldn’t very well come and tell you when the bike’s collapsed underneath them and killed them could they? No one ever returned a defective parachute…

#justsayin’

and a 🙂 just to be sure…

deviant
    Free Member

Where did it happen OP? I thought Santa Cruz’s were only designed for use at Swinley Forest?

This was so good it needed repeating. 😆

chestrockwell

A frame that can’t use it’s full travel is as much use as tits on a nun.
    Replying to the thread late but always thought the phrase was ‘As much use as tits on a vicar’ No help to the Bronson question but my comment is as much use as arse pockets on a vest.

POSTED 13 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Must admit I preffered the original, it made me lol.

Everyone jumping to the defense of SC also makes me lol. Saying that, I’m probably as bad when it comes to Orange.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

At least you know which chain rings you can use on a SC 😉 Whats the max on the 5 these days? 30-34?

gonzy
    Free Member

No one ever returned a defective parachute…

😆

michaelbowden

Well SC are sending out a new rocker, they too think it might be slightly incorrectly sized allowing the excessive travel.

bikeneil
    Free Member

We’ve sold over 40 Bronson’s since their launch.
    In reality we haven’t had a warranty return on any single one of them.

No one who buys a Santa Cruz actually uses it, do they?

sime46
    Free Member

I’m on mine now. Honest.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Very badly made Bronson’ is closed to new replies.