Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Very badly made Bronson
  • science
    Free Member

I saw a Santa Cruz Bronson fold in on itself at the weekend. When the bike reached full travel, the top rocker link got stuck in the frame. The chap had to lever the shock out of the frame to fix it. I was amazed that a company could design or manufacture something so utterly shite.

A frame that can’t use it’s full travel is as much use as tits on a nun.

Has this type of thing happened to anyone else? On a Bronson or otherwise?

It’s pretty **** up that bikes like this get shining reviews.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So you saw one that did that, have you seen any others? Do you think they all do that and nobody has said anything?

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I can’t believe that nobody has bottomed out a Bronson until now! 🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legend
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    So you saw one that did that, have you seen any others? Do you think they all do that and nobody has said anything?

SC owners not saying anything other than glow things about their bikes? Very possible 😉

jodafett

It’s all down to Science.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Surely this could be said of any bike frame though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah second ever post, first not flogging something. Somebody got a spare troll account?

binners

How big was the guy riding it?

soobalias
    Free Member

i thought the idea was the wheels taco’d before the frame was damaged.

Shackleton

Username is science and drawing conclusions from a sample size of 1? Oh teh ironing.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I had a 2012 Mondraker Dune that seemed as though it had been made without the use of any measuring tools whatsoever. One of many “issues” it had was the seat stay brace smashing into the seat tube on full compression. Another was the air can rubbing on the frame through the stroke. Oh and then there was the rear wheel steering that kicked in a few minutes into the ride after all the pivot bolts became undone.

Didn’t have it long

matt_outandabout

i thought the idea was the wheels taco’d before the frame was damaged.

No, the rear tyre uses the natural pneumatic properties to damp the impact as it hits the frame, so preventing the shock sticking… #sciencefact

oldejeans
    Free Member

people eh, more money than sense some of ’em.

Shackleton

Maybe the shock stroke was longer than what the frame was designed for (either faulty shock or wrong one fitted)? That could push the link past where it should be.

Maybe it was one that slipped through QC? Given the number they sell I’d expect to hear the odd “horror story” now and them.

wrecker
    Free Member

I can’t believe that the OP has never seen a bike frame fail before, or that s/he believes that any other manufacturer hasn’t suffered catastrophic failures. If these frames were all badly made or poorly designed, the web would be full of these stories and it’s not.
    It’s bad luck is all.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’m amused that soemone with a name like ‘Science’ can ignore the principles of that so easily.

If the frame can’t use it’s whole travel, it’s either been manufactured badly or designed really really badly.

Or has been assembled wrongly, has a faulty/wrong shock or many other potential issues.

Not that Santa Cruz are indescructible; oh dear me, no.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Any one own a 04 onwards enduro? You know the one with the snapping stays, or a commencal from when they did that…

How can they sell such shit….

Anyway we should really stop feeding it

wrecker
    Free Member

and lapierre and yeti and Intense.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

My Intense is holding up fine and I look like that dude in the pic above.

😛

It’s purely a faulty frame tolerance and does not reflect most SC frames like any other brand will have the odd faulty frame.

Better that than a recall for a completely shoddy design in the first place ala Cannonfail etc

wrecker
    Free Member

A friend has a 2007 5.5 and it’s still going strong!
    Not all of them did though…….

jedi

i heard of the v10 doing it at woburn but that’s the first time have seen it in n person and not the first time it had happened either or the only one.
    mad eh

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

BONKERS!

But true.

gonzy
    Free Member

I look like that dude in the pic above

nope….pretty sure that’s Binners…now that he’s quit smoking, he’s been spending the fag money in Greggs!! 😛

lovewookie

outrageous.

I had a friend who had no friends and he’s never heard of anything being badly built so it couldn’t of happened.

😉

philxx1975
    Free Member

Was it a British made Bronson, possibly was badly built.

bikeneil
    Free Member

All the Bronsons i have seen have been on the Canal.

just saying…

jodafett

But it did happen. I saw it with my friend, who I’ve never met befores eyes.

science
    Free Member

It’s not bad luck, it’s either bad design or bad tolerances in manufacturing. Bad **** luck? Sorry your £2k bike frame doesn’t work, just bad luck. **** that shit.

When was the last time you saw durability or structural testing mentioned in a review? When was the last time you saw a bike get less than 3/5 in review?

I’m not hating on Santa Cruz, I’m hating on the way everyone seems to be happy with the mediocre crap that’s flooding the market.

Don’t let companies force generic lazy tat into your hand and tell you its gold.

I **** love mountain biking, if you let it die I will find you. And I will wrestle you.

tomhoward

Pics? Was it the lower or upper linkage?

Or are you going to avoid those questions here as well?

wwaswas

I will wrestle you.

Could we agree on rock, paper scissors? Best of three.

jedi

the linkage went past the cam action and jammed

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s not bad luck, it’s either bad design or bad tolerances in manufacturing. Bad **** luck? Sorry your £2k bike frame doesn’t work, just bad luck. **** that shit.

Do you understand the concept of luck? Ever heard of warranty?

Don’t let companies force generic lazy tat into your hand and tell you its gold.

It’s ALL generic. From the most spensive Yeti to the crappiest Saracen. A bunch of tubes stuck together with some pivots and a generic shock. They are so out of ideas that they’re ****ing around with wheel sizes!

jodafett

Is it just me or are there two people posting about the same bike?

jedi

i was there. he is talking about the same bike 🙂
    i would suggest science is having a boring day in his office…….

jodafett

Cheers, I was getting most confused!

jedi

i have heard it happens but it is the first time i have witnessed it. and the owner said its not the first time either

STATO
    Free Member

The way SC linkages work they get close to the inflexion point (if thats the right term?) at the end of the stroke. Perhaps the bottom-out bumper had failed allowing the shock to travel the small extra distance that allowed the link to flip over. Or potentially.. was the rider running offset bushes?

jedi

no standard ctd shock iirc

jairaj

When was the last time you saw durability or structural testing mentioned in a review?

Component durability is mentioned quite a lot in the reviews I read. Or if its a test of a new item the writer usually states its new and not had much mileage so they are unsure of durability and will comment once they have put in adequate mileage.

I believe Santa Cruz posted videos a while back of their frame testing rigs. If have a search on You Tube I’m sure you’ll find them.

As said already, people usually complain and shout a lot when bikes don’t work correctly. If this incident wasn’t a one off we would have heard about it before.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Any one own a 04 onwards enduro? You know the one with the snapping stays,

Yes, after 5 years and a crash big enough to put me in hospital for 3 weeks, my chain stay snapped (we crack a little bit) Spesh replaced it – I could have waited 2 weeks for the correct silver, but I got a redish pink one in a couple of days – anyway, I understand this isn’t the point of your post 😉

I’d be very surprised if the Bronson in question was ‘right’ my friend has one, whilst it’s very boring to talk about how competent they are, unfortunately they are – it’s by all accounts a very well made, very flexible (in terms of use) bike which is something of a miracle considering how small Santa Cruz is compared to Giant or Trek.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Very badly made Bronson’ is closed to new replies.