Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Very bad experience with bike shop in North Ayrshire
  • iggysport1
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    I’m posting this not as revenge, but so people dont go through what I did.
    I took my intense 6.6 to the North Ayrshire bike shop as they advertise custom paintjobs on there website.
    I dropped it off there on the 5th December 2010 having agreed the job, timescale and cost.
    It was a simple job, paint the frame metallic orange (focus st) and do some simple, factory looking graphics in black.
    The time agreed was 2 weeks.
    I only just got the bike back on Monday, after being promised it back after many phone calls.
    When I picked it up, the both parts of the frame were different colours, it is not metallic, and it had no graphics or lacquer.
    So, in short, the work was crap, they lied to me on more than one occasion, and never finished the job.
    So, please do not take this post as a rant etc, I am posting it to warn other people who may be looking at having a fresh coat of paint on their bike.
    Cheers

duntstick
    Free Member

Pics?

martymac

is the ‘stuart’ guy not very tall but about as wide as a house?

Only your second post on STW.
    No pictures, no mention of payment, excessive use of tags and finally, claiming it’s not a rant when it clearly is.

iggysport1
    Free Member

i shall get some pictures later, i have to go to work in 5 mins.

@martymac
    Stuart is the tall guy, funny you know the name although I didnt name anybody!!!
    btw, how do i put pics on here, or do I just link a photobucket pic?
    Cheers

iggysport1
    Free Member

correct, second post it is.
    only because I was spoken to like sh!t after my first post.
    pinkbike is a far friendlier forum, seems as though people on here sometimes are not very friendly.

iggysport1
    Free Member

and i have tagged it because i want people to get my message.
    There was no payment taken as they did not do the job i asked them to do, and I went and picked my bike up.

martymac

checked the site.
    i used to work at irvine cycles in the early 90s, and one of the other mechanics was called stuart. he lived in saltcoats, so, naturally i wondered . . . .
    however, he was only about 5’3″, so cant be him.

pixelmix
    Free Member

excessive use of tags

I think this is a newbie thing. I’ve noticed a few other posters do the same thing, presumably because they see the tags option, presume that they should be used, and don’t realise that tags are rarely used on other postings.

btw, how do i put pics on here, or do I just link a photobucket pic?

Host photos elsewhere (flickr or photobucket etc) and then link to them, or use the “IMG” tag above to insert an image URL.

Kit
    Free Member

iggysport, thanks for the warning! And pay no attention to the pedantic, self-infatuated arseholes who seem to be most vocal on this forum these days.

Where are you considering next? Out of interest, how much did they quote?

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t lose heart Iggy, this is a good forum once you get into it.

philconsequence
    Free Member

cheers for the heads-up dude!

soma_rich
    Free Member

Did you pay?

davidrussell
    Free Member

two-tone is in this year*! get it laquered and some graphics online and i’ll say you didn’t do too badly out of it, especially as you didn’t pay for it.

*maybe

DezB
    Free Member

There are some nice American folk on here though. Aren’t there phil?!

davidrussell
    Free Member

incidentally is the quality of the paint job ok, just not colour accurate?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Take pics and post them here. Good luck!

philconsequence
    Free Member

i am not american, and thus:

Woody
    Free Member

LOL Iggy. I just checked your first post and it was a fairly mild ‘slagging’ – more an honest appraisal I would say with quite a few encouraging comments (mine included) I didn’t make it up in October but it was better in December when i had my ski’s with me 😉

Edit: When you complained at the time did they not offer to put it right, or were you so pissed off that you wanted to get out of there?

avdave2

Well as an RAF weapons Tech if you can’t own them with some bombers who can?

wwaswas

If they let you walk out the store with the bike and without paying then it sounds like they agreed with your point of view re: the quality of the work.

Sounds like someone there fecked up and they knew it.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Wasn’t Irvine Cycles owned or joint owned by Graeme Obree at one point?

OP seems a bit of a drama queen IMO

trailertrash

To be fair if that had happened to anyone on here’s bike, never mind an Intense 6.6 that they were taking the effort to rebuild, they would be going mental. So give the guy a break. Second post so what?

Shandy
    Free Member

You’re only allowed to complain on this forum if you post 20 times a day and Chain Reaction are a day late with your order of spare inner tubes.

Trimix
    Free Member

I had a paint job done a few months ago, but I took it to a well known and respected paint shop – Argos. They did a quality job.

That cut out the middle man, avoided any problems of the LBS not being able to pay the paint shop, or any communication issues between them and the paint shop etc etc.

Unless its something the LBS actually do Id not bother using them to be the middle man.

If you do want a quality paint job try Argos.

martymac

@slimmerbloke;
    yeah, obree owned it before i worked there, he was still in and out regularly though, popped in to use the brazing gear sometimes.
    he owned another shop in prestwick by then, but it went bust, proof if any were needed that being a great cyclist does not make you a shrewd businessman.
    he was a nice guy tho, with a wicked sense of humour, as dry as 2 sticks.

BoardinBob

as dry as 2 sticks.

Must…resist…joke

iggysport1
    Free Member

I’m currently uploading shots to photobucket. they may take a while, just taken a load of pics with different cam/flash settings, still quite hard to see the difference tbh.
    Some more positive comments though cheers guys!
    The paint itself on the front triangle is just one tone whereas the rear is orange, with red/orange highlights on the top. I think this is because the graphics I requested got messed up (something to do with the thinners i was told, the paint bubbled) so i think that he just repainted it in orange.
    I was originally quoted £150 to £200.
    I am talking to a local (reputable) bodyshop to do a Focus st orange basecoat, and a friend (who i recently found out can airbrush) to do the graphics.
    When I went to the shop on monday, after being promised the job would be finished and delivered personally to me on Sunday, I spoke to another shop employee. The guy who was doing the job wasn’t in. So, the guy in the shop agreed with me the guy was taking the p!ss and at the time was on the phone to his boss.
    The choice was either they would have it finished on monday night (i didn’t believe this) or take it away free of charge.
    I took the second option, as I had taken the day off work (i work near inverness) and I didn’t want any further hassle.
    The quality isn’t the best either, paint spits, lumps, runs, paint in the bearing housings as they weren’t masked properly.
    So, i am going to have the paint removed (chem dipped or blasted) and have the body shop start all over.
    I just really miss riding atm! Cant wait to get it rebuilt.

@trimix
    , how much was it and how long did it take?
    I’ve been scouting the tinters for painting places not finding much, always bloody motorbike customisers, skulls and stuff!!!
    I can understand people slagging me, but I have been off the bike for over 2 months now and I need to get some riding done before I get posted somewhere down south, where the riding will not half compare to here……..

martymac

@ boardinbob,
    i think i know what you mean, i didnt mean that.

project
    Free Member

its an ORANGE bike , not made by Orange, ever heard of a shop called Halfords they sell DIY tins of spray paint, thats what i did with my Saracen .

fisha
    Free Member

I’m still wondering why if you wanted to have a decent re-spray that you would take it to the local bike shop ( unless you knew it had a very good paint shop reputation )

for a good paint job, you need good equipment … something normally beyond what a local bike shop would have

why not go to a proper paint shop ?

duntstick
    Free Member

That is truly awful, put a post up asking if anyone knows a decent powder coater/sprayer near you. I’m sure you’ll get a better result. Good luck

oldgit
    Free Member

That is beyond bad. I could do a far better job with my own spray equipment.

wrightyson
    Free Member

And to be fair its nothing like the st Orange shade!!!

kaesae
    Free Member

The guy is well within his right to moan about this and warn people as well.

The old stale farts, are almost always, the worst farts of all!

ziggy
    Free Member

Agreed, very bad. Also worth noting that they haven’t masked off where the bearings go, you WILL spend hours cleaning all of that out just to get them back in.

iggysport1
    Free Member

@fisha, the following link has pictures of bikes they have done on there website, and its 10 minutes from my old mans house.

http://www.nacycles.co.uk/custom.php

If i had known that it was going to take so long/be a sh!te job, of course I would have taken it to a car painters. Problem is, car painters aren’t often airbrushers, and I dont want to use Intense original stickers as they are poor quality too.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Orange peel effect on an orange frame – maybe that was the idea?!

iggysport1
    Free Member

@project.
    are you for real?
    I know what bike it is.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Very bad experience with bike shop in North Ayrshire’ is closed to new replies.