Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Vertical bike storage in garage, how to and are there any risks?
  • dogthomson

To save space in our garage I’d like to store 3 bikes vertically i.e. hung up with wheels against the wall.

What’s the best way to do this? Buy some cheap hooks from B&Q? Also, is there any risk to storing bikes this way? I’m sure I read somewhere that our can affect the hydraulics in disc brakes…

Any sage wisdom from the STW hive mind would be greatly appreciated! Pics are welcome too.

cbike
    Free Member

Do a search there is a big thread about this.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve just put up three of the front wheel hook/ tray things easily found on Amazon and eBay. Seem fine so far. Perhaps a bit flimsy but 4 screws each in a breeze block wall should be ok.

dirtydog
    Free Member

No issue with brakes providing they’ve been bled properly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep if your brakes are properly bled it’s fine, if they are not you will find out.

br
    Free Member

I’ve got these:

http://i1.adis.ws/i/washford/953216?$pd_main$

Been using them for +3 years now, no problems at all (FS and HT).

Sundayjumper

I’ve got a load of THESE screwed into the ceiling. You can screw them into the wall instead if you prefer. Dead cheap.

nemesis
    Free Member

As above – it’s fine. The only issue I ever had is with a set of XC40 Pace forks leaking if the bike was help vertically (front wheel up).

globalti
    Free Member

Rubber-coated hooks screwed into the joists will end up at exactly the right distance apart for hanging bikes up. We hang ours by the front and rear wheels alternately and none has ever suffered – in fact when I hang the roadie by the front wheel, water drains out of the steerer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve never had any problems doing that. bus as noted above, it depends on the brake model and how well it’s bled. Anything with a traditional reservoir on the top (hope, older shimano) will work perfectly even if really badly beld, until you hang it upside down, Avids or anything else with the reservoir at some other unusual angle needs to be perfectly bled to work at all so are perfectly happy upside down.

Other alternatives I’ve used were to put 2 hooks in the ceiling and hang one by its wheels, leaving room for another underneath it. Or I got some L shaped brackets from Claus Ohlsen which held 2 bikes by the top tubes (again, high enough to get 2 more underneath).

Only concern (and this is hypothetical rather than real) is normal seat posts are often open at the top, Reverbs aren’t, I’d worry about water sitting on the seal/valve at the bottom of the post and depositing grit/corrosion (or just corroding the post).

allthepies
    Free Member

Don’t hang upside down i.e. from the rear wheel if you have Hope brakes.

nemesis
    Free Member

No problem with mine. If it is with yours they probably have air in them somewhere

Gunz
    Free Member

I’ve used those red ladder hooks linked up above for years. Always hung them by the front wheel, never had a problem.

Potdog
    Free Member

I use the shimano (pro brand) hooks / plates to hang my rentals on the wall. Alternating front / rear wheel to the top.
    All have Hope brakes and all fine. Only two bikes with older Pikes that I have to hang by the rear wheel otherwise the forks leak a bit from the damper side.

gonzy
    Free Member

i rest the back wheel on the floor (on a wooden platform to protect the carpet…it lives in the box room). but to tuck it in out of the way i remove the front wheel and attach the hook to the fork axle.
    shimano brakes work as they should.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

No need for special hooks – I just use the very cheap hooks from B&Q. Just turn them through 90 degrees and works a treat.

eshershore
    Free Member

we use these from any dealer that has an account with Madison (Shimano UK distrib.) about £20 each

only thing to watch out for is you can easily damage hybrid aero wheels (aluminium structure with carbon shroud) but just need to put a piece of pipe lagging on the hook before hanging that wheel style up

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

if you’re worried about air in the brakes then pop an elastic band round the lever to pull the brakes on before you hang them up. This should close the reservoir and ensure no air migrates to the hoses.

jambaron
    Free Member

I fitted an aluminium pole then use hooks to hang the bikes from. I can then slide them up close, part them to take one from the middle etc.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Vertical bike storage in garage, how to and are there any risks?’ is closed to new replies.