Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Vernon Barkers – Dronfield – frame alterations
  • Rik
    Free Member

Anybody used Vernon Barkers in Dronfield for frame alterations recently?

I’m after some braze on adding to a frame, set of bottle cage bosses to the down tube and a few other bits and pieces.

I presume it’s not Vernon doing the work anymore as I would have thoughts he’d long be retired but the shops still open, prices are good and it’s only down the road.

LS
    Free Member

I had some work done a year or two ago and it was Vernon then. He did retire a few years ago as there were some younger lads in there for a while, but I think they gave up and he came back (that could all be tosh).

trail_rat
    Free Member

dunno what they are like now but i had the misfortune to work on a frame “repaired” by him in the past- it was repaired but it was not neat.

dont know if its up ben kinetics street but have seen work done by him and its factory fit by comparison.

letmetalktomark

I’ve previously seen work come out of VB and its not been great.

Perhaps its changed over the years but I would be mindful of this and perhaps ask for example of previous recent work.

I looked at using them/him back in 2007 when I had my Kona modified. I went with Agros on the end and the frame looked factory fresh.

Rubbish pic but you get the idea:

Rik
    Free Member

Thought about Ben or Argos and the like.

But it’s only braze ons rather than tube replacement and the like. Didn’t think bottle cage bosses would be to hard either as it’s just drilling then brazing on the bottle bosses (don’t want pot rivet ones).

So ideally wanted somewhere I could drop it off from home in Sheffield rather than post the frame as it starts getting expensive. Thought about 18 bikes but think they only do complete frames, other than Vernon it’s a drive to Leeds and the like which gets expensive.

delibury

I can do it I’m based in Meersbrook (S8)

email me del (at) delibury (dot) com

Del

bencooper
    Free Member

dont know if its up ben kinetics street but have seen work done by him and its factory fit by comparison.

Thanks – I try to be better than a factory 😀

Bottle bosses are relatively simple – drill the holes, pop them, in, a bit of silver solder.

mick_r

Ben beat me to it 🙂

Do it yourself – some +55% silver solder and flux from ebay. A reasonable gas plumbing torch and you are good to go.

Bottle bosses can be as simple as M5 nuts with half of the hex turned to a circle in a lathe to locate in drilled holes in the tube. Cable / hose guide loops can be made from brass tube from B&Q / model shop.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Give Matt a buzz at 18 – he might do it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Vernon Barkers – Dronfield – frame alterations’ is closed to new replies.