Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Verbier biking?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Looking to book a week away next year and have a mate who is a guide in Verbier so it’s a potential destination.
    Has anyone been and what’s it like? Good amenities etc as we’ll probably be booking a self-catering chalet.
    Would be looking to do lift assisted stuff mainly.
    What sort of prices did you pay and how did you get there?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Has anyone been and what’s it like? I’ve been to the Alps once. To Verbier. There are DH tracks but went with BV who are more techy singletrack type people. Suited my down to the ground and much to my wifes disgust, it was the best week of my life.
    Good amenities etc as we’ll probably be booking a self-catering chalet. Make sure you’re up in Verbier centre then. Plenty of stuff going on but ain’t cheap.
    Would be looking to do lift assisted stuff mainly. Lift pass – easy. We got one that covered the La Tzoumaz (sp?) lift on the other side of the hill as well. About 6/7 (?) lifts giving access from the bottom of the valley in La Chable all over the Verbier basin.
    What sort of prices did you pay and how did you get there? Seem to remember it being about £450 for the week with BV (this is going back 6 years now!) and a couple of hundred on flights, BA from Heathrow.

I’d be there again in an instant. Perfect trails, weather, accommdation and hosts. Going to try and factor it into a Euro tour in my van ASAP.

Tracey

We are going again for two weeks with Bike Verbier in July. Have been all over the Alps and Spain but keep going back to them for a reason. We could probably go and do it ourselves cheaper but cant see the point as they are without doubt the best at what they do. We usually travel down in the car using the Tunnel to cross and Tesco vouchers to pay for the crossing.
    They aren’t the cheapest, especially with the exchange rate but for an experience of a lifetime they are worth every penny.
    Don’t tend to spend much money once we are out there.
    Lifts will get you to most places in the Verbier area but to get the best out of it then van assisted uplifts are essential as is guiding to get you out onto the vast trails beyond Verbier.

Getting exited just typing this, five weeks to go

qwerty
    Free Member

i went with BV many years ago, i’d love to go back. Awesome. Local knowledge essential (which BV have & then some).

survivor

Was there for a week last year in a self catered chalet. We drove over and used verbier as our base. Took big and little bikes. There is supposedly alot of singletrack for the little bikes but we had trouble finding stuff to ride so mainly stuck with the big bikes. I’d say a guide is needed to get the most from little bikes unless you like exploring and map reading.
    The lift assisted bike park stuff is really good and we enjoyed our 4 days riding there but the best days we had were at Crans Montana (about an hour and a bit dive north east of Verbier) and Pila over the border into Italy.(about 1 hour 30 south)

Verbier is busy during the days but seems quiet on a night. It’s expensive but a nice place. We stocked up on food in france before crossing into switzerland then just topped up at the local supermarket.

I’d visit the bike park again but wouldnt spend a whole week there for the riding alone without guiding to get the most out of the area.

3 of us for a week was about £600. Fuel, ferries, food, chalet and lift passes.

edit: Posts above seem to confirm the guiding thing. Makes me wish we’d got one but we only had a week and were enjoying the DH and visiting other places.

bubs

We went with MTBVerbier and it was excellent. Very civilised and great riding. It helped that our trip coincided with the local cheese party.
    The bike park should give you a day or two of riding but the off piste trails (some well hidden) are more entertaining imo.

Grump
    Free Member

Presume (hope!) you’ve already done a wee bit of googleing and found the verbier mtb website: http://www.verbierbikepark.ch/

You’ll have an easier time with Bike Verbier, but using the maps on the website you’ll get to ride a lot of the singletrack, non-bikepark, style trails without too much difficulty. Where it won’t help (and Bike Verbier can) is with all the amazing riding around Verbier that isn’t under the lifts, but if you’re only there for a week I’m sure you won’t get bored.

If you are looking to keep it a bit cheaper then Le Chable at the very bottom of all the lifts and below Verbier is much cheaper, but if you have a friend who’s a guide in Verbier then s/he should be able to tell you that, and hopefully can get you a deal somewhere.

Or for something different (and not that expensive), check out the Mont Fort refuge……..

jambalaya
    Free Member

Its excellent. Been going skiing there for 20 years and biking on and off for 4 years. Renting self catering apartments is pretty easy on a weekly basis via any of the real estate agents. FYI many of the best trails finish down in the valley but you can get the Le Chable bubble back up in the evening and I personally prefer to stay in the resort and am lucky to have friends who live there full time.

With a year to go you can research routes, the new enduro map has many trails on it now in addition to the bike park which has been expanded with an extra lift

I nearly booked with Bike Verbier for 27th but they have back country type riders and I won’t manage all the climbing, will be going self supported over the weekend and riding in Chamonix too as it’s only 45 mins away and before the bike ban. Have a look at Bike Verbier as you get a hell of a lot for your money, if you self cater you will save money of course.

OP the bike park lifts are open July and Aug full time and weekends only from mid June into Sep. The more lifts that are open the more enduro trials you can access of course. The advantage of June and Sep is you can ride Verbier at the weekends and Chamonix midweek outside of the Jul/Aug bike ban which sees many trails off limits. That works for me as I do 4 or 5 days riding rather than 6 or 7.

You can find lift times / bike park and enduro trail maps on the website

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Verbier biking?’ is closed to new replies.