Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Verbal Argie Bargie on commute from fellow cyclist
  • fishwife
    Free Member

ha

slightly rainy commute to work – minding my own business on my single speed road bike (neat and slick no mudguards) when bloke behind whos been drafting me starts shouting

“Get some f*&(kin mudguards”

he then drew level “Look at the state of my glasses and waterproof”

“eh my response err dont ride behind me “

More sexual swear words so i joined in and we’re swearing like troopers
    exchangin everything under the sun

I explained that the lights might be red – watch out, therre might be more cars later on the road, things might happen that might be out of his control

odd as – lights were at red so we squared up again – funny thing was as we were both on bike i didnt feel intimidated – wot a n obber

qwerty
    Free Member

I rode to work today, it was really busy and i got caught behing this twunt with no mud guards on who absolutely soaked me by riding through all the mess on the road, i pointed it out to him and he through all his toys out of the pram!

longj
    Free Member

But why don’t you have mudguards ? Do you like getting to work with a muddy back ?

fishwife
    Free Member

ha like it 🙂

titusrider
    Free Member

Lol

you just carry on minding ur on business, the guy was being a twunt

allthepies
    Free Member

Handbags 🙂

fishwife
    Free Member

my bike is pink (cough) wrapped in yellow and black hazard tape – must have been envy talking – he had a dull trek hybrid with mudgaurds

binners

That sounds like such a stupid baseless argument, that I wouldn’t even have engaged in debate with him. Was he clipped in? I’d have just pushed him over. Like a cow! 😆

fishwife
    Free Member

i know – had to pinch myself to believe it

next time i will simply pull my shorts down and say “do you want some of this ”

FuzzyWuzzy

I think I understood half of your post, get some mudguards and an English for Dummies book.

zerocool

There’s no need for mud guards, crap just gets stuck in them and causes punctures. And they look guff. Hopefully the Twunt will know better than to sit on your arse and let you do all the work. You should have ridden through some dog Sh1t. That’s have showed him 😉

cookeaa

Sounds like an “Expert Cyclist” probably really does have an STW login…

TBH I’ve not had any altercations with fellow commuters despite still not haveing fitted mudguards to the road bike and chucking the odd rooster tail now and then.
    sounds like this fella was spoiling for an argument more than anything, if you’d had guards fitted he’d have taken issue with something else no doubt…

He Can’t be that intelligent anyway if he sat in your spray getting his precious glasses and waterproof(sort of the point of ’em?) soaked…

a brief response along the lines of: “If you can draft me, you can pass me, and show me how an expert rides” then let him jog on, don’t get drawing into angry twunts little rage-fests, it’ll ruin your day…

I’m sure someone will be along to quote some of “The Rules” that relate to this incident in a second…

Pook

ha

dave360

audaxist probably

martinhutch

Strategic nose-blowing next time.

cookeaa

Strategic nose-blowing next time.

Snot rockets are a good way to really drive a point home, plus people think you are a touch mental if you deliberately launch your own mucus at them during an argument…

franksinatra

There’s no need for mud guards, crap just gets stuck in them and causes punctures.

Really? I can’t believe it. I’ve had guards on my commuter bikes for all these years whilst exposing myself to risk of unecessary punctures. now I feel silly. I must remove them immediately.

spacemonkey

dull trek hybrid

There’s your answer.

crazy-legs

Not anywhere near that level but I overtook a “fellow commuter” once and he then did that thing of sitting on my wheel the whole way. We rolled up to the red lights (me going straight on, him turning left) and he called across to say that I shouldn’t overtake people if I wasn’t going to be faster, I’d delayed him by getting in his way.

WTF? How’s that work then?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

fish wife – Member

i know – had to pinch myself to believe it

next time i will simply pull my shorts down and say “do you want some of this ”

Which way you going to face ?

Gary_M
    Free Member

There’s no need for mud guards, crap just gets stuck in them and causes punctures. And they look guff.

I’m not riding 20 miles each way in the rain without guards and I couldn’t care less what anyone thinks of them. But I wouldn’t have a go at someone else for not having them. The guy shouldn’t have been sitting on your wheel.

I don’t understand the ‘crap gets stuck in them and causes punctures’, how is this so? 7 years of commuting on a bike with guards and I’ve never had a moment where I’ve said ‘another puncture caused by these bloody guards’.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

There’s no problem with no mudguards unless you overtake someone and then pull in less that 20ft ahead, as otherwise you will spray them.

That would be a chase down scenario for me…

Solo
    Free Member

“Get some f*(kin mudguards”

eh my response err dont ride behind me Chuckle and ride on. “

HTH.
    😉

That would be a chase down scenario for me…

Really ?, I’d just swing out of the path of the spray and wait for the few seconds it would take for the road rocket that had just passed me, to take his/her rear wheel spray beyond effective range.

Its the roads, innit, we’ve all got to share and play nice.

Andy

You let some one over take you on your commute? 😯 Jeez what were you thinkng 🙄

(Tour De Commute; minus 5 points young mayn 😡 )

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

crap just gets stuck in them and causes punctures.

That’s a new one.

Almost as good as “As if i’m going to fit a bell to a 2.5 grand custom build mountain bike… Get a grip.” from http://nirvanacycles.blogspot.co.uk/

And they look guff.

Yep, but I’ve always thought riding with a great black strip up your back and needlessly making your clothing and luggage wet and filthy makes you look a bit of a fool.

davidjey
    Free Member

Not anywhere near that level but I overtook a “fellow commuter” once and he then did that thing of sitting on my wheel the whole way. We rolled up to the red lights (me going straight on, him turning left) and he called across to say that I shouldn’t overtake people if I wasn’t going to be faster, I’d delayed him by getting in his way.

LOL, some people are (a) a bit too self righteous, and (b) don’t understand the advantage they are getting from drafting, and thus conclude that you have slowed down and not that they have sped up.

This is best demonstrated by increasing speed/clicking up a gear every minute or so until they lose the wheel and crack, at which they will wonder why what was a 50cm gap a moment ago is now 50metres….

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFvbefsDN00[/video]

johnellison
    Free Member

I’d have just banjo’ed the helmet. 👿

psling
    Free Member

“Get some f*&(kin mudguards”

“eh my response err dont ride behind me Yeah, cr@p aint it. Why do we do it, eh!? Ha! Have a good’un bud “

Mind you, not as much fun as handbags 8)

alex222
    Free Member

This is best demonstrated by increasing speed/clicking up a gear every minute or so until they lose the wheel and crack

This is easily acieved on a SS commuter bike.

brooess
    Free Member

On a club ride, no mudguards is discourteous.
    On a commute, you simply choose not to ride behind someone without mudguards if it’s a wet road and you don’t want it in your face.

This guy was clearly an imbecile if he thought having a go at you was more effective than riding ahead or further behind, if he wanted to stay dry.

Not worth engaging with people like that IMO, they spoil your day. Dunning-Kruger effect springs to mind!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Get some mudguards FFS 😆

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Really ?, I’d just swing out of the path of the spray and wait for the few seconds it would take for the road rocket that had just passed me, to take his/her rear wheel spray beyond effective range.

no, the person overtaking can stay further out in the road until they are clear, rather than forcing me to take action and swing out into the road to avoid his spray, which subjects me to more risk from passing cars, plus I have to check behind before moving out.

It is like a car overtaking and then pulling into my braking distance – discourteous – the only difference being it is easier for me to chase down the cyclist and give them a piece of my mind as they are not protected by 1+ tons of metal.

antigee

not properly introduced and started talking dirty to each other – both parties etiquette needs a bit of finishing

gusamc
    Free Member

could you fit a rear mounted water pistol in case you see him again on a dry day ?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Verbal Argie Bargie on commute from fellow cyclist’ is closed to new replies.